Sign in with
Your question

New system and many problems.

Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2007 12:46:26 AM

I finaly built my new system but im having many problems. Here are the components;

Intel Q6600
Abit P35 Pro Motherboard
4gb Patriot DDR2 800mhz RAM
WD 320gb Sata3gb HDD
8800gtx GFX Card
Antec 900 Case
Sound Blasters X-Fi Audio Card
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System
Samsung 226BW 22' LCD Monitor
2x DVD Burners
Multi Card Reader
USB/Firewire PCI Card
Windows XP Pro SP2

Ok here is a list of the problems i am worried about for now;

1) It will not boot up with all 4 1gb sticks of RAM, right now Im running with 2gb. Ive tested ever module in ever slot so i dont think anything is broken.

2) It will crash from time to time when Im playing BF2142. Also in BF2142 the sound will be very screwed up normally following with a PC crash. When it crashes a blue screen full of white text flashes, but too fast to read anything. I had a very similar problem with my laptop and everquest2 but all i had to do was turn down harware accelerator in dxdiag. I would think that should not be necessary in this PC but i did try it and it didnt work.

3) The RAM is running at 666mhz, but i figure ill fix that when i decide to overclock. When that time does come what should i be setting the CPU and RAM timings at? Ive never overclocked before.

4) When i turn on the PC i can hear it powering up, then it hangs for 2 seconds and then resumes powering up. Not sure if this is a problem but its weird.

5) I think the firewire isnt working. I tried using my external drive on both the case firewire and the one in an add-on card i have but no luck. Im sure the add-on card (PCI) and case ports are connected properly because the USB ports work on both the case and add-on card. Unfortunatly i have no other firewire device to test with, but the external drive is new.

There might be more im not thinking of but this is fine for now. This is a very expensive build so you could imagine how frustrating this is. Ive only built two other systems before this one so i need a little help.

More about : system problems

November 4, 2007 10:26:21 AM

I got the firewire to work, could anyone please help me with atleast the RAM problem?
November 4, 2007 11:37:27 AM

sounds like this may be a problem with the Bios settings for your RAM voltage.

Boot with the two sticks and then enter CMOS setup and adjust the RAM voltage to the mfg specs for the RAM, which, according to the specs listed at Newegg, is 2.0 volts. The Bios probably defaults to 1.8. We have seen this problem a lot lately. Do you have more detailed specs for that Patriot RAM? I'm not to sure I found the right model at Newegg, so that 2.0 volts number is questionable. Post the exact model number if you can.

If this helps then add back the other 2 sticks and see if that was the problem there also.

The setting for RAM voltage may be called V DIMM or something similar.

Is there an Antec power supply in the 900 case or are you using another brand? If so what is it and what are the specs?
Related resources
November 4, 2007 12:31:36 PM

A new power supply will fix your problem. Your current one is having trouble keeping up. Replace it before it pops and takes everything else with it. You still wont be able to use four gigs of ram unless your system is 64bit.
November 4, 2007 12:40:26 PM

Here are the links to a few parts;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I finally got a picture of the error i get when i crash during BF2142;

I had a very similar error with my laptop and EQ2 and turning download hardware accelerator in dxdiag helped. I would think i shouldnt have to do this with such an expensive PC but i am in the process of trying it, so far it crashed on standard acceleration. Will changing that effect sound quality much?

Ill try out the RAM now.

November 4, 2007 1:01:01 PM

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your power suppy is crap. You cant squeeze blood out of a turnip. And you cant squeeze amps out of a crap psu.

What brand is you PSU and whats the specs on it Watts and amps.

I did a check on your system you need atleast 682 watts to run. Just notice the link for your PSU. It seems good but it is close to 682 and possiblt its not true 700. Only other thing it could be is bad ram. Run memtest86 and see if you get errors.
November 4, 2007 1:06:24 PM

I posted a link, its a 700w OCZ gameXtream. Here are the settings in my Bios, could you please tell me what to change for the RAM and anything else that might need to be done. (i believe my RAM is suppose to be 2.2v)

November 4, 2007 1:11:12 PM

I dont see a volt option on those pages but looks like you could OC to 3.0 easy.
November 4, 2007 1:12:53 PM

Run Memtest86 and if it passes you psu is good but not good enough. If it dont pass you need new ram. Was the ram on the QVL for your MOBO.
November 4, 2007 1:18:16 PM

"Was the ram on the QVL for your MOBO."

I dont know what that means?
November 4, 2007 1:19:19 PM

I edited one of my other posts your system needs 682 watts. It is possible your psu is only running 80% like it says in the specs. If it is only 80% which most are then you are really only getting 560 watts which isnt enough.

Ram voltages might be on last page under voltage control.
November 4, 2007 1:21:50 PM

QVL is (qualified vendors list.) Should be listed online our in your manual.
November 4, 2007 1:46:10 PM

I set the RAM voltage to 2.2 and the cas latency to 4 like its suppose to be. Now the post screen says DDR2 798. I did more tests and it seems one stick of RAM might be bad. Right now i have 3 sticks in, will the one pair run in dual channel or will all 3 sticks run single channel now?
November 4, 2007 1:53:56 PM

I dont see any vendor list with m,y mobo book. If my psu is running at 80% how can i set it to 100%?
November 4, 2007 1:57:39 PM

I just switched to onboard sound and i got that blue screen error while just listening to iTunes.
November 4, 2007 2:57:12 PM

Most PSUs run 80% efficient under load. Nothing you can do about it. Im not sure if the ram will run 2 dual chan and one single. It shouldnt matter, theres not much difference between dual and single. Nothing noticeable.

Make sure Ram passes memtest86 so we can rule it out. If it passes then you need a new psu. While running memtest86 do 2 sticks at a time and only plug in one dvd drive and your graphics and hd with nothing else. With all that stuff you got drawing power you might still get an error if they arent gettin enough power.

You gt a sweet system but it is very power hungry. Most peeps recmmend 700w with 1 drive and 2g ram without all you other bells and whistles.
November 4, 2007 3:36:16 PM

Alright thanks.
I have been messing with the onboard ausio more with no problems so i guess my blue scvreen crash was the sound card. Im going to RMA the bad RAM and return the sound card. Thanks alot for all the help.
November 4, 2007 3:38:51 PM

Oh. Taking the ram and the card could possibly be dropping you down to just the right amps to run stable.
November 4, 2007 4:22:25 PM

Here are the links for power supply information.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243648-28-power-suppl...

Just so you know:
When you have a PSU thats 80% efficient what that means is;
If the PSU output is 800 watts it will need 1000 watts at it's input. 200 watts will be lost as heat.
Your PSU is a solid tier 2 PSU.
November 4, 2007 5:23:48 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your power suppy is crap. You cant squeeze blood out of a turnip. And you cant squeeze amps out of a crap psu.

What brand is you PSU and whats the specs on it Watts and amps.

I did a check on your system you need atleast 682 watts to run. Just notice the link for your PSU. It seems good but it is close to 682 and possiblt its not true 700. Only other thing it could be is bad ram. Run memtest86 and see if you get errors.

I get 471W for that system at http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
The OCZ 700W can handle it, if it's not defect.
November 4, 2007 5:29:13 PM

aevm said:
I get 471W for that system at http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
The OCZ 700W can handle it, if it's not defect.

Better check his system again. Dont forget sound card and card reader, 2 dvd burners, and just for good measure a pci slot.

I used the exact same calculator. 682 Watts.
November 4, 2007 5:56:52 PM

Did you pick Quad processor by any chance?
November 4, 2007 6:26:23 PM

I did ya.

Wow didnt see the footnote before that will do it lol.
November 4, 2007 7:56:20 PM

Your PSU more then enough. I have Q6600 overclocked to 3.0 Ghz,
factory overclocked 8800GTX, 150 Ggb Raptor, 2 burners, 6 fans in Antec 900 case with 650 W Seasonic PSU work just fine. My Zalman fan controller showes actual pawer usage and it never goes over 350W under Crysis demo or Half-Life2. Most likely your problem with RAM.
Patriot RAM needs 2.2 V and in BIOS most likely u have 1.8 V. I had a similar problem with Patriot memory until switched to G Skill memory that asking for 1.8 V. So i guess u need to find a way to give Patriot 2.3V or switch to 1.8v memory.
!