Hello,
How can I partition USB flash drive that it can be read by Windows XP
Zigg
April 1, 2010 10:52:14 AM

ziggO said:
Hello,
How can I partition USB flash drive that it can be read by Windows XP
Zigg

XP will normally read more or less anything but if you specifically want to format (not Partition - that's another issue) it to suit XP's native file system, NTFS, open Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management and while the flash drive is plugged in, right click and scroll to Format then select NTFS.
m
l
April 1, 2010 2:18:21 PM

yeah, but what about multiple partition on one USB flash drive? I've done it , Administrative tools/disk management can see them but Explorer not! Trying to format them under Disk Management (they were already preformated with 'Parted Magic') it stops and I'm receiving message 'need to restart the computer' what obviously doesn't work!

ziggO
m
l
Related resources
April 1, 2010 2:22:44 PM

Explorer won't see them until they've been assigned Drive letters and for that, it's back to Disk Management.
m
l
April 1, 2010 10:24:40 PM

I'm sorry for trouble, forgot to mention, it wasn't working too..

ZiggO
m
l
April 2, 2010 4:22:34 AM

What "wasn't working too..."?

Did you use "Parted Magic" or "Partition Magic"?

Hi, Saga Lout. [:graywolf:2]
m
l
April 2, 2010 1:44:02 PM

graywolf said:
What "wasn't working too..."?

Did you use "Parted Magic" or "Partition Magic"?

Hi, Saga Lout. [:graywolf:2]

Howyadoin', Graywolf? :hello: 
m
l
April 2, 2010 2:11:36 PM

It is written, 'Parted Magic'

ZiggO
m
l
April 22, 2010 5:45:38 AM

You can re-combine the partitions but not with disk manager. You'll need a bootable xp or higher disk.
-Plug in your USB drive - not all USB ports are the same, if one does not work, try another. This process will destroy all data on your flash drive - so back it up
-Boot off of the CD/DVD by changing the boot sequence.
-It will boot and install the kernel and other windows files
-The screen that pops up next that requires your input should show all drives including the USB drive (change USB ports if it does not see the USB drive) delete all partitions on your USB drive then quit and reboot. This should not have installed any OS onto your harddisk. Do not reboot from the CD/DVD again. Let your PC reboot from the HD.
-now use disk manager to format your USB drive and it should see the entire capacity - or you can do it from the my computer window.
m
l
!