First O/C problem I've ever had.

comzee

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
I've been running a stable clock on my PC for a couple months now. I decided it was time to reformat, so I did. After the reformat, XP stopped excepting my clock, (in a certain way.) This problem is odd. When I O/C and boot into XP the clock works fine and dandy like it always has. When I reboot, though, my CPU performance gets divided by 4 (rough estimation), severely hindering performance. My Bios doesn't reset my clock after reboot, XP and CPU-z are reporting a normal O/C as well. The performance is just whacked out. When I reset my CPU clocks to normal all is fine, when I O/C after I reset, it takes the new O/C, BUT only after the first boot! Then the problem persists after the second boot with the O/C I'm using.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, also!

The CPU O/C I refer to is 367*9 (3303mhz). I have tested it to be a stable clock.

System Specifications.
CPU = Core 2 Duo E6600
Motherboard = Gigabyte 965P DS3 rev3.3
GFX = Evga 8800gts 640mb
Memory = 2dimm (1gb each) pc6400
PSU = 600w
Running XP pro SP2+

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Is it only after a warm boot this happens? If so, might be a weird PSU problem. If it does it after a cold boot as well, then I'm out of suggestions.

I used to have a weird grounding problem with my old Thunderbird 900. Sometimes only after a warm reset, it wouldn't post, or the USB wouldn't initialize. I finally tracked it down to the PSU as weird as that sounds. Who knows, got a spare laying around to play with?

comzee

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Just spent some time troubleshooting again. Found out it WASN'T my cpu that was messed up. It was my Graphics Card. I've never O/C'd my GFX or done anything to it. For some reason when I overclock my CPU, after reboot it messes up my GFX. Hmhmmm. I can't tell if that could be a hardware or software problem. I'm going towards hardware because this had never happened to me before. Anybody have some input here? :D :D :D

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Well, I didn't think to mention this before, since you seem to have a pretty good grasp of it, but you did lock PCI-e at 100MHz right? :)

If you didn't, do so and try again. Overclocking the PCI-e bus can be bad.

Still doesn't explain why it is fine after the first boot... weird stuff man... maybe call in an exorcist!

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Or it could be the motherboard, which could have some damaged capacitors.

Mondoman

Splendid
When you re-installed XP (I'm assuming that's what you meant by "reformat"), did you do it while OC'd or under stock settings? If not under stock, I'd try doing it again at stock settings.

comzee

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Nah, I reformatted non-O/C'd. But when I O/C I use the Bios volt setting option of "Auto", frankly because I'm horrible at setting my own volts. Could that be why, becaue when I O/C my CPU the Bios automatically raises all the volts. Just throwing that out there. And about the PCI-e 100mhz thingy, I don't lock that. But I don't know where to find the PCI-e mhz option. Hmhmhmmmm, I think I'm close to solving this :D

Mondoman

Splendid
When you say you had a stable OC, what programs did you run to test that? If you haven't yet, try running memtest86+ (a bootable floppy or CD image is available for free download) through at least a couple of complete passes, and try running Orthos in "blend" mode for at least an hour or so.

comzee

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Yea, I've run all of those. It isn't about a stable or unstable clock. I can O/C my CPU 100mhz and it will still have the problem. I've also recently locked the PCI-e bus and volts. Nothing seems to work. This is freaking me out! Why would the O/C only work on the first warm boot. After the second warm/cold boot it all go's FUBAR. Arrggggg >:#