how to recognise dbx folders from 98SE

After I was unable to boot my 5 year old system running Windows 98SE, I
decided it was time to get a new computer running XP professional. I removed
the hard disk from the old machine,installed it in an external case and was
able to copy the dbx folders to my new xp machine by burning a CDRW disk
connected to another 98SE machine. I hope that all makes sense, however the
bottom line is that I now have all the dbx folders in "My Documents" in my
new XP machine.
How do I bring these dbx folders containing past emails into my now current
Outlook Express email programme on the new XP Machine ?
I would appreciate a step by step instruction please.

Ian
2 answers Last reply
More about recognise folders 98se

    "Ian Matthews" <matthei@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > After I was unable to boot my 5 year old system running Windows 98SE, I
    > decided it was time to get a new computer running XP professional. I
    removed
    > the hard disk from the old machine,installed it in an external case and
    was
    > able to copy the dbx folders to my new xp machine by burning a CDRW disk
    > connected to another 98SE machine. I hope that all makes sense, however
    the
    > bottom line is that I now have all the dbx folders in "My Documents" in my
    > new XP machine.
    > How do I bring these dbx folders containing past emails into my now
    current
    > Outlook Express email programme on the new XP Machine ?

    First, make sure that a) you have the file called Folders.dbx amongst the OE
    files, and b) that the files have had the "read-only" attribute removed.
    (Right-click on each file and select "properties")

    Then open OE and go to File-Import-Messages, follow the prompts and navigate
    when asked to your My Documents folder. That should be it!

    HTH

    You may do better at an OE group.

    OE6 newsgroups.

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 04:09:40 GMT, "Ian Matthews"
    <matthei@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

    >After I was unable to boot my 5 year old system running Windows 98SE, I
    >decided it was time to get a new computer running XP professional. I removed
    >the hard disk from the old machine,installed it in an external case and was
    >able to copy the dbx folders to my new xp machine by burning a CDRW disk
    >connected to another 98SE machine. I hope that all makes sense, however the
    >bottom line is that I now have all the dbx folders in "My Documents" in my
    >new XP machine.
    >How do I bring these dbx folders containing past emails into my now current
    >Outlook Express email programme on the new XP Machine ?
    >I would appreciate a step by step instruction please.
    >

    >Ian

Windows XP