Does the G965 play nice with the Q6600?

t_fields04

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I have an Intel DG965RY and I'm wondering if the Q6600 will work in it. It says in the latest BIOS readme that processors were added, but I can't find any documentation to verify that the Q6600 is one of them. Anyone have this board and CPU combo or know if this works??

Flingpoo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
I would say no.
I found plenty of information on what processors it did support and the quad series was not one of them, so I would have to say no, it will not work.

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dg965ry

There's nothing wrong with a core 2 duo and in a lot of examples out performs the quad series in games simply because the software was not written for quad cores.

I would suggest contacting intel through their website for a definite answer.

t_fields04

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I got that. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I've already contacted them through email. I just thought I could get an answer faster on this forum. I know it doesn't support it by default. I think it might with the BIOS update.<a href="http://downloadmirror.intel.com/14656/ENG/MQ_1709_ReleaseNotes.pdf">On the release notes,</a> it states several times that the processor support was updated. My thoughts are: it has to be the Quad cuz What other 1066 FSB processors were released after the board? I can't think of any that the board didn't support already.

Flingpoo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Of course it would be through a BIOS update, but there would have to be a reason why they didn't include support for quad processors. I think your problem is the P965 chipset on your motherboard. It looks like *it* doesn't support quad processors.

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/p965/index.htm

According to that chart quad processors were not supported until the G31.

I still could be wrong, I'm not in the business. I simply found this info with a little google'n, and came to the conclusion that the P965 chipset on your motherboard is a few generations old. If that is true, all the BIOS updates in the world won't help and of course would be a good reason why they wouldn't include support for quad processors.

My thoughts are: it has to be the Quad cuz What other 1066 FSB processors were released after the board? I can't think of any that the board didn't support already.
Not sure what you mean. The E6300 and up is capable of a 1066 FSB.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
It looks like it might have quad support, if it has the G965 chipset:

Intel® Desktop Board DG965RY

That is if I found the correct MB t_fields04 has.

Edit:

The Boxed Intel® Core 2 Quad Processor

Look for: Platform Component Selection

Motherboard Selection
Motherboards used with the Intel® Core 2 Quad processor or the Intel® Core 2 Extreme processor must specifically support the Intel Core micro-architecture. In general, look for a motherboard which uses one of the following chipsets:

* Intel® Q965/G965 Express Chipset
* Intel® 975X Express Chipset (required for support of Intel® Core 2 Extreme processor only)
* Intel® 946GZ Express Chipset

It is important to verify that the specific motherboard model and revision support the specific Intel Core 2 Quad Processor number being used. Motherboards may also require a BIOS update in order to support specific processors. Intel provides a Tested Motherboard List and The Source Motherboard List for your convenience in choosing a suitable motherboard.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Geesh... wish they would at least update that one page I found... wonder how many people found it and thought perhaps it would run.

Good find croc, wouldn't want someone to buy something that wouldn't be able to use.

timbonuts

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Just because the website says "Not supported" doesn't mean it wont work. It means intel will not support your issues. In the past I have stuck unsupported processors in motherboards and they worked fine, but were limited to the boards capability.

prizedcoffeecup

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

I was told that the strongest CPU a Q965 could handle was a core 2 duo, and i got a core 2 quad working perfectly inside that damn thing! The only real slowdown was that the motherboard in the Optiplex 745 i had was worn right down to the skeleton from heavy use throughout it's whole life.