Sign in with
Your question

Does the G965 play nice with the Q6600?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 9, 2007 10:19:39 PM

I have an Intel DG965RY and I'm wondering if the Q6600 will work in it. It says in the latest BIOS readme that processors were added, but I can't find any documentation to verify that the Q6600 is one of them. Anyone have this board and CPU combo or know if this works??

More about : g965 play nice q6600

November 10, 2007 1:26:55 AM

I would say no.
I found plenty of information on what processors it did support and the quad series was not one of them, so I would have to say no, it will not work.

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.asp...

There's nothing wrong with a core 2 duo and in a lot of examples out performs the quad series in games simply because the software was not written for quad cores.

I would suggest contacting intel through their website for a definite answer.
November 10, 2007 11:35:00 AM

I got that. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I've already contacted them through email. I just thought I could get an answer faster on this forum. I know it doesn't support it by default. I think it might with the BIOS update.<a href="http://downloadmirror.intel.com/14656/ENG/MQ_1709_Relea...">On the release notes,</a> it states several times that the processor support was updated. My thoughts are: it has to be the Quad cuz What other 1066 FSB processors were released after the board? I can't think of any that the board didn't support already.
Related resources
November 10, 2007 1:16:58 PM

Of course it would be through a BIOS update, but there would have to be a reason why they didn't include support for quad processors. I think your problem is the P965 chipset on your motherboard. It looks like *it* doesn't support quad processors.

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/p965/index.htm

According to that chart quad processors were not supported until the G31.

I still could be wrong, I'm not in the business. I simply found this info with a little google'n, and came to the conclusion that the P965 chipset on your motherboard is a few generations old. If that is true, all the BIOS updates in the world won't help and of course would be a good reason why they wouldn't include support for quad processors.

Quote:
My thoughts are: it has to be the Quad cuz What other 1066 FSB processors were released after the board? I can't think of any that the board didn't support already.

Not sure what you mean. The E6300 and up is capable of a 1066 FSB.
November 10, 2007 1:37:11 PM

It looks like it might have quad support, if it has the G965 chipset:

Intel® Desktop Board DG965RY

That is if I found the correct MB t_fields04 has.

Edit:

The Boxed Intel® Core 2 Quad Processor

Look for: Platform Component Selection

Quote:
Motherboard Selection
Motherboards used with the Intel® Core 2 Quad processor or the Intel® Core 2 Extreme processor must specifically support the Intel Core micro-architecture. In general, look for a motherboard which uses one of the following chipsets:

* Intel® Q965/G965 Express Chipset
* Intel® 975X Express Chipset (required for support of Intel® Core 2 Extreme processor only)
* Intel® 946GZ Express Chipset

It is important to verify that the specific motherboard model and revision support the specific Intel Core 2 Quad Processor number being used. Motherboards may also require a BIOS update in order to support specific processors. Intel provides a Tested Motherboard List and The Source Motherboard List for your convenience in choosing a suitable motherboard.
November 10, 2007 6:27:18 PM

Sweet ass. I appreciate your help, guys. That is the information I've been digging for.
November 10, 2007 8:10:41 PM

t_fields04 said:
Sweet ass. I appreciate your help, guys. That is the information I've been digging for.

Uh, I'd not be spending my money just yet....

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/36...

Intel's website might not be up to date, so I'd wait for a reply from Intel.
November 11, 2007 2:42:53 AM

Geesh... wish they would at least update that one page I found... wonder how many people found it and thought perhaps it would run.

Good find croc, wouldn't want someone to buy something that wouldn't be able to use.
December 28, 2009 6:42:31 PM

Just because the website says "Not supported" doesn't mean it wont work. It means intel will not support your issues. In the past I have stuck unsupported processors in motherboards and they worked fine, but were limited to the boards capability.
May 10, 2014 8:49:41 PM

Grimmy said:
It looks like it might have quad support, if it has the G965 chipset:

Intel® Desktop Board DG965RY

That is if I found the correct MB t_fields04 has.

Edit:

The Boxed Intel® Core 2 Quad Processor

Look for: Platform Component Selection

Quote:
Motherboard Selection
Motherboards used with the Intel® Core 2 Quad processor or the Intel® Core 2 Extreme processor must specifically support the Intel Core micro-architecture. In general, look for a motherboard which uses one of the following chipsets:

* Intel® Q965/G965 Express Chipset
* Intel® 975X Express Chipset (required for support of Intel® Core 2 Extreme processor only)
* Intel® 946GZ Express Chipset

It is important to verify that the specific motherboard model and revision support the specific Intel Core 2 Quad Processor number being used. Motherboards may also require a BIOS update in order to support specific processors. Intel provides a Tested Motherboard List and The Source Motherboard List for your convenience in choosing a suitable motherboard.

I was told that the strongest CPU a Q965 could handle was a core 2 duo, and i got a core 2 quad working perfectly inside that damn thing! The only real slowdown was that the motherboard in the Optiplex 745 i had was worn right down to the skeleton from heavy use throughout it's whole life.
!