Barcelona Doesn't Deliver - Benchmarks Deemed Non-Compliant

http://roborat64.blogspot.com/2007/11/barcelona-benchmarks-deemed-non.html

Vendors are now seeing their benchmark results deemed non-compliant because Barcelona is apparently no where in sight; and this isn't even the 2.0ghz part, even the 1.9ghz is apparently MIA.

...a Tier1 vendor like IBM can't seem to get hold of AMD's latest quad-core. If an important customer can't even ship a lower bin 1.9Ghz Barcelona months after product launch one has to wonder how many has AMD really managed get out of the door...

Expect more 300+M losses if AMD doesn't ship processors.

I really like Roborat's Blog. He really tackles the whole "AMD is failing miserably" topic, but he does so with fact. He presents his arguments very well, and when he accidentally posts inaccurate information he corrects it and admits the mistake.

I highly recommend his blog!

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I visit his site frequently. I don't value his posts that much, but you really should take a look at the bloggers at his sites. They consist of some of the brightest minds I've ever known.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I found one!!!
waldo1jt2.gif

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Perhaps they were taken for the Texas SC that APPRO won the contract for. Dirk was quoted saying they shipped 10s of 1000s and just that one will take 12000. There were also a few others including Sun. They even use Budapest so those are already sold.

I think the Phenom availability will be better because they don't need the higher-quality and they have the extra two months. Barcelona has been available in retail and at some channel companies. I'm sure the plan wasn't to have to remove a SPEC entry but perhaps the B2F stepping will get to Barcelona quickly and invalidate the previous scores. We still haven't seen benches with it yet as expreview uses the ES to OC. I'm not a real OCer and I'd liek to see the new rev at actual speed. And imagine that someone could bring action because people are paying for OCers' dreams.
Anyway, I guess that's a good score and expreview did show that higher HT link and HT3 speeds do improve perf by around 12-15%. With just a 9500 I can up my active processes by 70%. That'll be worth $300.

I think demand must be high no matter how many they have shipped. If they can get back just 1% share, it will bode well for 30% by Q308. ANd with the economies of wafer sizes vs. transistor size they can raise gross margins and maybe actually stay in business for another day or two.

randomizer

Champion

Well it's logical, and it's necessary so they better deliver.

Same, but I doubt a new rev is going to make that much difference in performance, unless AMD has something up their sleeve that they aren't letting on.

Well if Apple buys Intel inside that two day margin, I think many PC enthusiasts will boycott intel and give AMD a chance to take back the crown :lol:

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
I heard availablility was bad because of that company who was building some supercomputer. Who was that again? Anyway, they apparently bought like over 10,000 barcy's for it. That is what I have heard and read. I will try to do some research and post the links on here if I can.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

I hope you're right, I just bet $XXX with my friend that AMD's Phenom would be "decent".

jkflipflop98

Distinguished

If they're running 2500 wafers a week with 100 good die on each wafer (that's being generous) then they shouldn't be having this much trouble keeping up. That's a million parts a month if they're keeping up a good clip in the fab.

The green team is clearly having issues.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Care to provide a link to back this up?

Also,
I guess that's a good score and expreview did show that higher HT link and HT3 speeds do improve perf by around 12-15%. With just a 9500 I can up my active processes by 70%.

Want to provide a link before stuffing words into Expreview's mouth?

Heh Intel stayed away from a Monolithic design for a reason, perhaps AMD would have been better off making a dual dual core A64 to get Into the Quad Core Industry and waited for 45nm and a Monolithic Quad Core, cause Intel is already on there second generation of Quad Cores with 8 cores well within reach @ 45nm, and even if AMD does catch Intel they have Nehalem samples already surfacing.

AMD's troubles started with 65nm, makes you wonder if they solved it with the Phenom - doesnt seem like it.

Perhaps we all see AMD in the wrong light here - The K8 was actually the first successful product and now they have returned to there normal spot, and AMD is a tiny company compared to Intel - other then the K8 they never really had success, perhaps AMD's real spot is the budget and bang for the buck segment like the K6 and K7 days.

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Impressive, you know whats more pathetic than failed launch? Its those who dedicate their time exlusively to bash some company :sarcastic: They kick dead horse and then pick the microscope and describe in detail how every molecule is rotting :p

Barcy most likely has lower yields but with a year and a half of old systems plus new system I would see this as more of a demand issue. I would suspect barcy due to old and new systems is the most demanded CPU of all time.

Imagine the demand on conroe if all the mobos sold for a year and half prier would have wanted upgrades. Many of those who could have upgraded probably didn't because of the technical knowledge need to flash the bios. The higher cost of the conroe than barcy at the time would have delayed many from upgrading. Just imagine the demand if the X6800 would have been $380 and the E6600 for $239 on launch. The price alone would have caused an extra month of supply shortages.

While this does not look good for AMD its a lot better than 8 months ago when low demand was the issue.

Note: I didnt use E6300 and E6400 because barcy has no differences other than clock speed.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

What is it with you? Right on this very site there were several posts about how Sun would lose money because Budapest was delayed. Someone even posted - maybe you - a set of scores with HT link increased and CrySis went from 64 to 71 or so on expreview.

As far as adding processes that's common sense. Two extra cores means many extra processes.

phenom_platform_s.png

hybrid_platform.png

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Baron, it's not the HT bus that increases the performance, it's the RAM speed. If you bothered to check the Expreview links more closely, you will see they compared a 1.3GHz HT bus to a 2.1GHz HT bus - there is no difference in performance.

sedaine

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007

Yes, hence the deduction that Phenom will be more sensitive to RAM speed than Intel offerings.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

I guess I'm just too sensitive to FUDs...

Right on this very site there were several posts about how Sun would lose money because Budapest was delayed.
But has it even officially launched? I scoured the internet, and found 0 news that suggested Budapest had launched. Yes, it was delayed, but it has yet to be launched.

Thank you Epsilon... this guy really needs to take a closer look at the numbers.

Baron, you've been saying HT3 would help. How would it helped?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Stop saying FUD. FUD stands for Fear Uncertanity, and Doubt. You can't clock AM2\HT1.1 as high. The Inq got a 790FX board and got a BE 5000+ to 3.5GHz. That's much higher than nForce or 580X. HT3 has been reported clocking to 500MHz(FudZilla). Try that with nForce 590. That means that 3GHz only needs a 6X rather than 15X and faster FSB has been proven to be better than higher multipliers.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Yes, thank you very much for your first grade education.

No one doubted 790X's FSB overclockability. No one doubted HT3 can reach record speed. But how do those two things help Phenom in gaining higher performance? As Epsilon said, Phenom is more sensitive to RAM speed than HT3 speed.

TRENDING THREADS