Sign in with
Your question

How do you find the program causing Data execution prevention

Last response: in Windows XP
April 1, 2010 2:33:25 PM

Hello,
I am getting DEP messages for a previous computing session after I bootup my pc. It doesnt tell me what program caused the error only the time it happened. The setting for DEP is the default. I tried to isolate by disabling the startup services, and System Services im msconfig but I still got an error. So is there a error log that says what program is causing the error. This just started recently. My wifes pc has had this problem for some time. I was going to reimage her pc but I want to see if come up with a better fix
April 2, 2010 12:32:24 AM

While i haven't had that happen, try using the Event Viewer to see if DEP shows up in the logs. Right-click My Computer icon, select Event Viewer. Check each log for the DEP.
m
l
April 10, 2010 1:36:45 PM

treefrog07 said:
While i haven't had that happen, try using the Event Viewer to see if DEP shows up in the logs. Right-click My Computer icon, select Event Viewer. Check each log for the DEP.

Thanks for the reply. I didnt have event viewer when I right clicked My computer but I did find it in administrative tools in the control panel. I will try to correlate the errors that I get when i boot up to the times and errors in the application and system event folders. There are a nunber of errors in both. In the system events there are DCOM, Service control manager, and other errors but much more than the number of DEP errors that I get when I boot up. Thanks again and Ill give you an update when I have more info.
m
l
!