Power Supply Questions

Wing Fat

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I've been searching around and I can't seem to find answers to these questions:

1) What's the difference between ATX 2.0 and ATX 2.2?

2) Some power supplies have a fan on the bottom and some next to where the power cord plugs in (not sure if you'd call that the "back" or the "front"). Is there a difference in functionality? Does one configuration run cooler than the other? Is one quieter than the other?

3) Are ATX power supplies supposed to be a standard size? I noticed in the specs for a Corsair VX 450 the length is 5.5", but on the HX 520 it's 5.9".

1. atx 2.2 has the newer 8 pin connector for 12v.
2. Larger fans can turn slower and still provide adequate cooling. But the best units have a knob or 3 way switch for adjusting rpms.
3. Some atx power supplies are longer, but will still fit most cases. Mine has the cable select system, and it's about 1 inch longer.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Some power supplies have both the smaller one in the back and one big one in the center. The only thing that matters is that the PSU stays with-in its operating temp.

Wing Fat

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Thanks for the answers. Part of the reason I was asking was I tried a couple of different power supplies this weekend and neither of them was satisfactory (one ran very hot, and the other made an electronic buzzing noise). So in looking for another I found one that was ATX2.0 and I wasn't sure how this compared and if 2.2 was "better" somehow. Also, I discovered that while the ATX power supplies are all the same width and height, the length varies from unit to unit. My computer case has notches to hold the power supply in so I needed a specific size PSU (it turns out it's a pretty standard size at 5.4" so I had a few options). Anyway, I finally settled on an Antec Truepower and it works without a hitch.

Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS