Small, Cheap Sound setup questions

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Hi there, first time on the sound forum (usually on graphics). I wanted to ask more knowledgeable people than me a question before I decide to purchase a small sound setup for my PC, since I'm about to get a job soon and I have nothing else left to invest on my PC for the time being (Wanted to put at least $100 on my PC by during december as a christmas treat but I don't a second HDD). I'm usually one to say stick to onboard audio and a pair of good headphones and you're good to go, but I got that "itch" to buy something and I think that something is a small 5.1 sound system for around $100-110. I right now have onboard audio by SigmaTel and $5 Sony headphones so I don't think I can get much worse... heh anyway... I'd like your input on what the stuff I'm wanting to buy:

These are the the speakers I wanted to get (From a local shop, not newegg):

Logitech X-530 70 watts RMS 5.1 Black Speaker System - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121126

And this sound card (Also from the same shop):

Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102003

There's also this one available however it's worth considerably more (about $50 more than the Audigy):

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102007

1.) I'm one that always puts quality before money, but in this case I can't see the X-Fi doing so much more over the Audigy SE for my humble, future speaker set, so it really makes me kind of not want to spend the extra $50. I guess my question is, Is the X-Fi worth it over the Audigy SE considering what the rest of the setup will be like?

2.) I could get the Logitech X-540 set for $15 if it's really worth it, but I just didn't see it being that much more over the X-530. Would the difference between the X-530 and X-540 be negligible at best? Or is it really worth it?

3.) Are the X-530 any good? I looked at newegg and seemed to get a positive response (However newegg reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt), I really don't know much about the whole thing, so it seemed like a nice affordable system. (The system is not meant to power a night club, just my gaming personal space, so it's not going to be THAT loud)

Thanks for your help in this matter.

EDIT: Also if someone is kind enough to post how to assemble this (and what else will I need besides the speaker set and the sound card) in order to get this working properly when I buy it.

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
1. X-fi is not worth 50c, If i was you, i would look for an older audigy2/4 with the crystal dacs, you could get it for nothing on ebay.

2. with computer speakers, i have no idea, i have never used computer speakers. But with pro audio, usually price does not dictate performance.

3. i dont know

hope that helps

compchipper

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
I'm currently using the Logitech X-530s. I've had them for quite a few years now and they still sound fantastic. They outlived two sound cards and one motherboard. The high recommendations I found on newegg, (Where I puchased these) had a major influence on my decision to get these speakers. I have had no regrets. Their replacement (X-540) have an additional feature-Wired remote control. No more reaching for the main speaker that carries the power switch and volume control.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Sweet, thanks to all the replies above, I guess it's decided then, Audigy SE and Logitech X-530 when I get the money. Now what I'd like to know is what would I need in order to set this properly (First time I work with sound equipment) on my PC. Any cables? Any other hardware needed? A detailed explanation would be awesome if possible.

compchipper

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Avoid "OEM" products. They may not contain all the essential parts needed for a complete and functional system. (Especially motherboards, soundcards, etc) Unless price is an issue, OEMs can be very attractive. If you're looking to get an OEM soundcard, you will need to go online to find the correct drivers to get the card going. Newegg does not ship driver CDs with OEM sound cards. (If Newegg is one of your shopping options).

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Yeah well I do know that, I know my way around this stuff, just not on the sound area (I'm ignorant on this department), because I've never ever given it any importance. I just want to get things right the first time and not have to go to a store to get more stuff, so do you think I can manage with the sound card and speaker set only? (Card is listed as OEM on the shop's website and the speaker set is Retail)

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Thanks a lot, you have helped me with this whole sound stuff and I appreciate it a lot :D I'll be back if I have any problems (So I hopefully won't be back)