590 SLI chipset compatible with new Phenoms?

decripple

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I was wondering if anyone knew if the new Phenom quad cores would be compatible with nvidia 590 SLI chipset. I am planning on buying another 8800GT later for SLI but want to stay with AMD for the processor. is there any rumors/information on any new AM2+ SLI chipsets coming from nvidia soon? Is it possible that a bios update could allow current 590 SLI chipsets to allow the use of a new quad core? Thanks for any information you can give me.

decripple

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Any AM2 motherboard is compatible, but it probably needs a bios flash as Phenom wasn't out when it was released. Even flashing a bios for Phenom support, you'll still be limited to HT 2.0 instead of 3.0. Just check the manufacturer's site for supported processors to see which board and bios revisions support Phenom.

The only Nvidia AM2+ board I saw at Newegg was a single slot 560:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138081

Keep in mind that Nvidia's supposed to be releasing their new Phenom support boards, both SLI and hybrid SLI in December or January. So you might want to wait a few weeks.

What intrigues me about both hybrid SLI and hybrid Crossfire is that the DX10 IGP's finally work alongside the single discrete graphics card. They improve performance in 3D apps and games, while powering down the graphics card and relying upon the IGP when not needed. Can't wait to see a comparison. It will finally make integrated graphics worth something beyond additional monitor support.

underbyte18

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
with all this christmas money, I need to buy a sli compatable am2+ mobo. So if it comes out in Jan, it will be worth the wait...

how the the phenom compare to the q6600