Sign in with
Your question

Recent documents missing

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 1, 2010 3:38:06 PM

Hello,
I have a bug on my XP Windows machine, symptoms are: All desktop icons disappear, right click on desktop not working, shutdown button on start menu disappeared, my recent documents menu disappeared from start menu, recent documents list in all office software do not show! I have only managed to resolve (for now) the desktop icons with ComboFix, but am helpless for the recent documents menu, have tried gpedit.msc, option does not appear in via [taskbar, start menu, customize, advanced], also the enable drag and drop does not show, please anyone help
Allan1976
April 1, 2010 7:31:19 PM

Try MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware too, then we can rule out any more malware.

Do sfc /scannow to restore corrupted files, and get back to me.
m
l
April 3, 2010 12:38:48 AM

I like graywolf's suggestion about Superantispyware. It has extra tools under the preferences options called fixes that will re-enable most of the windows features disabled by the virus that I am sure Combo fix helped solved for you. I typically use Combo fix first, then follow up with SuperAntiSpyware fixes and then a scan. Apply all the fixes...it can't hurt (some will require reboot). Also, if you are using Internet Explorer.... go into Tools->Internet Options->Advanced Tab->Reset Button to reverse changes that the virus made to IE.
m
l
!