Mooglebass

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I got a freezer pro 7 for my e8400 that im building this weekend. I ordered artic silver 5 with it because i thought that the stock paste wasnt the best. Well the Heatsink has a duct tape like square on the bottom. Do i remove that stuff so i can put the silver on for better cooling? Want to make sure since this is my newest build in a while.

Mondoman

Splendid
It'll work fine either way. It's good to have a tube of thermal paste handy for if (more likely when) you decide to take off/remount the cooler, so you can apply fresh material after cleaning the old stuff off.
As for the Freezer 7 Pro, while it does a good job cooling the CPU, like most aftermarket coolers, it lacks the stock Intel cooler's secondary cooling function: blowing air down and out in all directions to cool nearby components such as the northbridge and PWM area.
Some MBs are more sensitive to the lack of this secondary cooling than are other; I'd stick with the stock Intel cooler at least initially to avoid mysterious problems arising from e.g. northbridge overheating.

dochodochodocho

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
As far as AC Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is concerned, i'd like to share my problem - i've got E2140 and i've clocked it to 3.2Ghz with 1.39 voltage temps vary about 65 degrees for both cores. When I try 3.4Ghz with voltage about 1.52-4 and a frequency of 3.4Ghz, temps goes to over 75 degrees and the CPU is not stable. Is that normal for that cooler ? :pfff:

Mooglebass

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
RIght now i have a side fan, 2 in the front and 1 in the back, and planing to add a 120 mm to the top. So will that be alright even with this cooler?

Mondoman

Splendid
Moog - it's hard to tell, because we're talking about airflow directly onto the northbridge/PWM area, but it really depends on your MB model. What model number do you have?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

At those voltages, it seems right for that cooler. Maybe it's a tad high though.

Mondoman

Splendid
docho - your temps seem too high, even if they are Orthos load temps; they are certainly way too high if they are idle or less-loaded temps. You might want to make sure the cooler mounting pins are properly mounted: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/194385-31-part-assembly#t1184072
Providing info such as the model numbers of all your components, including MB, CPU, RAM, power supply, etc, and reporting ambient temp as well as the temp inside your case, along with the specific conditions for each temp (e.g. idle or loaded, if loaded with what program and settings) will help us greatly to help you.