Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I'm currently running

Fatal1ty FP - IN9
Q6600
7800GTX
700W PSU ATX2.2
1GB DDR2

Whenever I do anything too CPU stressful, ie running a game or even occasionally when I press a link on firefox or IE the whole system freezes.

the motherboard has a 8pin CPU connector and the PSU only has a ATX12V1 4pin connector (which also fits on 4 of the 8 CPU pins) I thought that was the problem so I bought an adaptor, 4pin molex -> 8 pin CPU adapter but still it crashes.

I tried upping the voltages on the CPU and RAM but I still get these crashes. I'm basically limited to short sessions of IE and talking to people on MSN, trying not to make it crash. I also tried turning down the FSB and relaxing the RAM memory timings.

I've done all the things you should expect me to try, reseating all the power connectors, going back to the original 4pin ATX12V1 and since its a new setup I re-installed windows (XP)

I've also tried my other PSU (450W) which was fully competent with my other system and it still freezes in games or anything too stressful.

There are no BSOD's to report, it just hangs, if its playing music it sounds like a broken record and nothing moves on the screen, no error messages.

any help is appreciated.

iamtakeo

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
CPU temps read as 45-50C, I dont think its overheating, even when I push it and it crashes the last temps recorded are around 50C

Thanks for the suggestion, it could still be the issue, the fan isnt particularly loud and my friend has the same CPU heatsink and fan and it sounded like an airliner on his motherboard which doesnt have smart fan control.