Sign in with
Your question

Faster RAM ran at slower speeds with tighter Timings? How to do?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 23, 2008 2:15:48 PM

Okay, anyone know where there is some sort of guide to information on Ram and setting it at lower speeds. (Sync.) I guess I'd like to know a few things since everyone is doing it! The RAM I have is rated at 2.35-2.5 volts @ the usual 5-5-5-15. SPD'd to 800 @ 1.8 volt.

I have a q6600 g0 @ 3.0 on P5k-e-wifi w/ 2 x 2 GeIL 1066 ddr2. Now in sync, since the fsb is 333, thats 667 Mhz for the ram if it was in sync mode. So no voltage would be required at all past the 1.8? Now when you start to tighten the timings, does it require the voltage to be stepped up towards where its rated at 1066?

The other RAM I have has the multi SPD thingie that lists timings for slower speeds, however, this doesnt, so it would have to be from scratch, or with the template of someone who has a similar set up. (For starting points, not to copy, since we all know no two OC quite the same!)

So, any pointers would help! Especially the easy ones. Voltages when ran under speed in sync, with tighter timings. Do the tighter timings at a slower speed require more voltage, and will it be any where near my 2.35 that its rated for at 1066?

Have you noticed the timings at slower speeds making up for the pure Mhz rating of faster ram? Any informational practice you've had would help me out! New to the OC, but happen to have a lot of gear, hehe!

--Lupi! :bounce:  :bounce: 
February 23, 2008 8:04:45 PM

Lupiron said:
... The RAM I have is rated at 2.35-2.5 volts @ the usual 5-5-5-15. SPD'd to 800 @ 1.8 volt.

Just in case you don't realize it, that looks like some pretty poor-quality RAM to need almost a 50% overvolt to reach its spec. I certainly wouldn't trust it for much of anything.

Lupiron said:
Now in sync, since the fsb is 333, thats 667 Mhz for the ram if it was in sync mode. So no voltage would be required at all past the 1.8?

Yes, that's correct.

Lupiron said:
Now when you start to tighten the timings, does it require the voltage to be stepped up towards where its rated at 1066?
It certainly might - depends on the specific module and its quality.

Lupiron said:
Have you noticed the timings at slower speeds making up for the pure Mhz rating of faster ram?

Check out these posts: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/199007-30-couple-noob...
February 23, 2008 8:11:59 PM

Thats exactly what I was thinking. 2.1-2.3 didnt sound to bad. 2.35 - 2.5 does. I am gonna look into buying something else. Any recomendations? I'll accept 800 mhz ram if its good OCers ram, and compairs to 1066 speeds with its timings!

Feel free to enlighten me!

--Lupi!
Related resources
February 23, 2008 8:16:15 PM

Ohhh.. thanks for the info!!!
February 26, 2008 6:25:57 PM

Ended up ordering some GSkill 1066 @ 2.0-2.1 volt. Am testing that high voltage junk at just 800 in 4-4-4-12. As I upped the processors speed, I had to slow the rams speed, when just running it at its rated values!!
I have never really played with the timing, but I read! So, as the saying goes, how low can you go??

--Lupi!
!