My 8800gt is crashing

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Asus
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2007 9:55:27 PM

Hi, I've finally built my new system over the weekend. I've already had a couple of problems:( . I get one warning from XP saying that one USB device is getting to much voltage, and the Asus 8800gt crashes on both Crysis and HL2 ep.1. It just freezes the whole system and the display becomes reddish. My components are:

Corsair HX520
Asus P5k p35
Q6600 go stock cooling
2 Gb A-Data Vitesta Extreme 4-4-4-12
I've got one 120 mm fan front, one 140 mm fan on the side, and one 80 mm rear.
Asus 8800gt latest drivers.

How do I troubleshoot this thing? I dont know where to begin and google hasnt helped this far.

More about : 8800gt crashing

November 4, 2007 10:20:07 PM

Anyone? Any help is greatly appreciated.
November 4, 2007 10:46:53 PM

Hmm, is it over heating? What's it's temps under load? Does it crash when you're not playing any games?

It's either from over-heating or drivers.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 4, 2007 10:48:28 PM

Could be the power supply.... Sounds like when it tries to get juice it craps out.
November 4, 2007 10:55:00 PM

In hasnt crashed in windows so far. I can play Crysis for up to 30 min, but sometimes just a couple. HL2 crushes after a couple of seconds. The card came without any software, just the drivers and one game. How do I know how hot it gets under load? Prime95?
November 4, 2007 11:18:52 PM

for monitoring the gpu temperature, you should be able to find it in the driver control panel, under '3d settings' on the left hand side, and with a subsection titled 'monitor temperature levels'... and that should be able to then open to monitor a few things, including your gpu.
November 4, 2007 11:20:02 PM

denisim said:
How do I know how hot it gets under load?

RivaTuner is great for overclocking or monitoring clock speed of core/shader/memory and temp logging durring game play. Go to "Target Adaptor" then to "Customise" click "Hardware Monitoring".

RivaTuner>>> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163
November 5, 2007 12:28:53 AM

I just ran 3dMark05, the temperature peaked at 62°C. Should I downgrade the driver? Mine is 6.14.11.6902 from 25.10.07? What do you guys think?
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 5, 2007 12:51:10 AM

Well 62C doesn't sound too hot. It wouldn't hurt if you try other drivers, since HL2 simply locks up everytime you boot it up. Understanding that, I'd have to say that the PSU probably isn't the problem. I'm currently leaning towards software related issues. Is your OS updated to the latest? Did you run anti-virus and spam scans yet? If not I'd double check all of that and then possibly wipe your driver off the computer using driver cleaner program. Google it to find it. Then I'd install the latest driver. If that doesn't work than wipe the driver off again and install the previous driver version. Sometimes the drivers have conflicts with newer GPU's (not always), but do happen.
November 5, 2007 1:02:53 AM

What!?! 62C under any 3Dmark is good! My loaded temp 8800GTX is 68c.
November 5, 2007 1:14:40 AM

I really dont want to send this card back. I hope it is something else. Well, I installed the beta driver and same problem so far. The funny thing is that it hasn't crashed in Company of Heroes yet. I guess the card doesn't like shotters.
November 5, 2007 6:32:12 AM

I too want to say it could be a bad PSU. Maybe try a new PSU from a retailer and if it doesnt work you can return it.
November 5, 2007 6:36:34 AM

how powerfull is your current psu?
November 5, 2007 7:26:57 AM

Download and run Memtest. A-Data has been known to make a bad stick or two. Memory problems sometimes show up during system stress, like games.
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
November 5, 2007 7:29:30 AM

All these other posts contain valid concerns but this appears to be a problem with the PCI Express voltage setting. This is located in your BIOS system configuration.

Depending on your motherboard you may be able to increase in 0.1V increments. Try upping it to the next setting.

November 5, 2007 11:23:52 AM

OK, thank you all. My OS is up to date, latest drivers, but bios not yet updated, the latest nvidia beta drivers. The PSU is a Corsair HX 520 W, known to be very good. I just ran memtest for less than 15 min and I get 15 errors!!!! Man, I should have goten the Corsair kit, bad luck I guess. I'm off to work now, I'll find out later wich module has the problem and run the games without that one. I hope it works. As for the USB voltage problem, I've still got no clue. I'll recheck the connectors, see if I messed up something there.
You guys are great by the way, I would have never thought of bad ram...
November 5, 2007 1:27:20 PM

Yes - with the Canadian Dollar's rampage lately, 2GB Corsair C4 is just $99 bucks.
I even had some bad OCZ memory and try to stick with only Corsair now.
And the Asus P5K? I had one (briefly). It didn't like my vidcard.
My AB9-Pro has a molex power connector right beside the PCIexpress slot - which the P5K does not have, it's more light-duty.
I was running X1900XT (512MB) and nothing but trouble...
ABit mobo fixed me right up.
P5K is newer but pretty basic model - may need more to run 8800GT, even though I hear that vidcard is pretty power-efficient.
Regards
November 5, 2007 5:09:54 PM

Here I am again...
Two questions: Do Memtest errors necessarily mean bad ram, or can it also be insufficient Voltage?
2. How do I set the Ram Voltage? I have an Asus P5k P35. Anyone with a similiar board?

November 5, 2007 5:19:44 PM

denisim said:
Here I am again...
Two questions: Do Memtest errors necessarily mean bad ram, or can it also be insufficient Voltage?
2. How do I set the Ram Voltage? I have an Asus P5k P35. Anyone with a similiar board?

First what is your ram spec's for speed and voltage? If you don't know check online either where you bought it and get CPU-Z.
November 5, 2007 5:37:49 PM

Ram specs are 4-4-4-12 at 2-2,1 volt.
I am running memtest now with ram set at 5-5-5-12 at 2,05 Volt. ( I found out how to set the ram voltage, I read the manual )
November 5, 2007 5:39:50 PM

Read the manual?
I thought nobody reads those these days :D 

Anyways, if more of these kinds of problems appear, then its definitely the software. If not, then 1+ of your computer components, which I don't see anything wrong with any except A-Data for a few bad patches of ram (not to flame on A-Data, just saying).
November 5, 2007 6:17:53 PM

I am sorry if I double posted. After I posted here I thought that this wasn't the right section. I posted the same thing at the nvidia section. I got no answears here at first, so I got restless. To tell the truth I don't see anything wrong with it, but I'm sorry if you feel I've wasted your time.
November 5, 2007 7:24:06 PM

denisim said:
I am sorry if I double posted. After I posted here I thought that this wasn't the right section. I posted the same thing at the nvidia section. I got no answears here at first, so I got restless...

This sort of thing is going to happen so, no worries denisim :) 
LoL but I thought it was familiar,
L8R
November 6, 2007 1:17:54 AM

It is even harder to help you now because the info we have been giving you would be mixxed in with the other thread. We just wouldn't be on the same page anymore now that there are two threads now.
November 6, 2007 3:44:29 AM

But anyway, look denisim you can't build a quad-core CPU and nVidia 8800 graphics on a P5K, it's just not up to the job.
Sorry, can't sugar-coat it for you.
You need big stout mobo with multi-phase power circuitry, heavy-duty y'know?
Here's an Asus P5N-E SLI, NVIDIA nForce 650i chipset for the same money, better choice probably (and you don't even really need the FSB1333 support anyway).
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 6, 2007 4:13:11 AM

The_OGS said:
But anyway, look denisim you can't build a quad-core CPU and nVidia 8800 graphics on a P5K, it's just not up to the job.
Sorry, can't sugar-coat it for you.
You need big stout mobo with multi-phase power circuitry, heavy-duty y'know?
Here's an Asus P5N-E SLI, NVIDIA nForce 650i chipset for the same money, better choice probably (and you don't even really need the FSB1333 support anyway).

What do you mean not up to the job? There are many people that have built using P5k and other in the same price range with a q6600. So what are you saying?
November 6, 2007 5:30:25 PM

I don't think the mobo isn't up to it. The P5K is a budget mobo but it doesn't mean that it is a bad motherboard. It lacks some features of the higher priced ones, but all in all it is a pretty good, stable motherboard. As for my graphics card crashing...
The Pc is not OC-ed, neither is the graphics card. The Ram is good. I ran memtest again, with 4-4-4-12 2.05 Volt and it ran for over 10 hours without errors. I also ran Prime95 for over 5 hours. It didnt give any errors, and the Temp of the hottest core was 60°C. The Card crashes the whole system when I play games. The monitor becomes reddish and the sound is just static. I can't kill the game or return to Windows XP. Hl2 loads and crashes 10 sec into the game. Crysis crashes 15-20 min in, Company of Heroes hasn't crashed yet. I've got the latest beta drivers ( same problem with other driver as well ). Windows is updated, latest drivers, no spyware or virus. I dont know how to stress test the graphics card though... I ran 3dMark05 and the temp was about 63°C. After playing Crysis about 71°C. Do you know any software to stress test the card? What do I do next? Should I try Vista? Should I take the whole thing apart? Clean install? I'm running out of ideas...

Here is all I got so far. Any help is greatly appreciated. Bear with me just a little longer...
November 6, 2007 6:56:58 PM

Quote:
The Card crashes the whole system when I play games. The monitor becomes reddish and the sound is just static.

Yes, this was my experience with my P5K too.
I had an ABit AB9-Pro and thought I was 'moving up' but I was wrong.
I ended up putting an E6550 and nVidia 7300 vidcard in the P5K and sold it as an office PC.
I wasn't even running a 1333 CPU in the P5K, just my E6420.
Anyway, sure it supports FSB1333 okay and maybe quad-core CPU too, but the high-end graphics seems to be the deal breaker (I use the X1900XT 512MB).
L8R
November 6, 2007 7:49:01 PM

No offense the_ogs, but I would like someone to second your opinion before I blame the motherboard. I am a little brand loyal to Asus. I still have 10 days to return it, no questions asked... Anyone else thinks it's the P5K?
November 6, 2007 8:46:08 PM

There have been several posts about incompatabilities with the ASUS motherboards and the 8800gt.

I would think it would be resolved in an upcomming driver update. If you're willing to wait...
November 6, 2007 9:40:35 PM

With only the one 80mm fan outputting heat I would suspect that the motherboard or chipset might be getting too hot. Did you happen to get all your temp readings?
November 7, 2007 9:20:34 PM

Problem finally solved. Kinda... I installed the graphics card on a friends PC, same PSU, same CPU, gigabyte bord, corsair ram. Windowx XP64, it still crashed. So that's that... I'm sending the card back. Kinda disappointed, I hoped that there would be something I could do about it.
Thank you all again, you've been great.
November 8, 2007 5:53:13 AM

Buy an XFX card next time.
November 8, 2007 4:55:58 PM

Quote:
Thank you all again, you've been great.

Well, you're not out of the woods yet - see if you can get any heavy-duty vidcard to work in your rig,
L8R
November 9, 2007 8:26:02 PM

Asus has released a new bios for this card so im guessing its a known issue they have been having. Go to www.support.asus.com and download the new bios.
!