Nero8 lags on the Q6600 4xcore??

gonf

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
I just got my new computer not too long ago. and now that every thing is done and setup i've try to burn some data DVD. but it takes over 1/2 hr to burn. i just want to know is it because of my XP64 bit ? or the DVD+/- or the Q6600 it self?
here are the settings.
CPU = Q6600 at 3.2Ghz
Motherboard = 780i
Ram = 4 Gb at 800Mhz
DVDR+/- = Sony 20X DVD R+/-
OS = XP 64bit
DVD software = Nero 8

and yes the buffer do go up and down and yes the load of one of the core is 100% but the other 3 are like 3 to 10% max. I just want to know do you guys think is something wrong with the Nero8 or it the windows XP, or is the DVD player.

Thax for helping

Josh

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
probibly your dvdr. my q6600@3.6ghz will encode 2hrs ntsc video and burn to my samsung drive ~20min in nero 8. It shouldn't take longer than 7-8min to burn a full single layer data dvd. Check your settings, and make sure you are using media rated to 20x (or at least 16x). Try burning through another program and see if it speeds up. I suspect it won't though, I don't think the sony burners are very good.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
When you are burning CDs or DVD's, make not of the actual burned speed. Not the speed you set to burn to.

This is because certain media doesn't like to be burned to certain speed and because of that will always revert to a lower burning speed. This is more common with DVD-R. As there are still blank DVDs that only support as low as 4X burning speed.

So on those media, even if you set it to burn on 16X, it will still burn on 4X.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Definitely update the firmware as general practice.

Also, go into Device Manager and check the IDE controller for the drive and ensure that it isn't set for PIO mode. If it is set it to DMA.

gonf

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
I try updateing the firmware but it not helping. it a sony DRU-190A and it running at 1.65 firmware right now and when i try to use nero8. once i hit the "burn" my computer will go to lag mode LOL.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I'm assuming that you checked for DMA mode. Try uninstalling the king of all bloat Nero 8 and re-installing. That probably won't work but it is the next step. Try the drive in another PC or vice-versa, and try other disks. I don't believe that it should be running on only one core. I would test it for you, but I dumped my Nero 8 because it tried to take over my whole computer.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
If your worried about the bloat of nero install Nero Micro, its nero without the bloat, all stripped down. The installer is about 20mb, just note that its was stripped down by a 3rd party so don't expect support from nero itself. I've been using it for quite awhile now and im quite happy, havent had any problems so far. And in case your wondering you still need a CD key to use it.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Interestring. I had an older copy of Nero that worked fine, Nero 8 decided that it needed to control everything. I got my copy free with a DVD drive. I don't remember a key, but it was a while ago. I suspect since it was a free copy there was no key.