Should this set up be practical?

Sensational

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Hi all,

First post here but this board seems to pretty knowledgable for a great many things, so I am just posting the computer I am looking at acquiring and hopefully can get some assistance and feedback from those that have a clue!

This computer is to be used for gaming mainly, looking at playing Team Fortress 2 for now, and for it to meet the increasing requirements for other games that are bound to come out in the next few years.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
CPU: Intel Core Duo 2 E6750
Memory: A-Data 3x1GB, DDR2-800
Video Card: GeForce 8800 GT

There is also the 250GB hard drive and dvd drive.

Another major reason I am posting is just to query what kind of power supply would be needed for this system, I have read a lot of threads on this but it seems to be quite hard to get a consistent and claritive answer. Is it quite important to get a PSU that does not come with the case? The Corsair 520HX, 520W ATX PSU has been suggested to me, would this be overkill, just right, or too little? :O

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

mack92

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
You've chosen some great parts, in fact I would choose the same parts. You are correct in assuming the power supply is important, the Corsair should work out just fine for that rig. I just ordered the OCZ Gamextreme 700w for 89 bucks after instant savings and rebate. But with those choices I'd say you should be able to run just about any game out right now quite well. Enjoy Check newegg for some great prices and reviews..

akhilles

Splendid
425W 28A on +12v's is the recommended psu. If you won't upgrade video, you can get a psu with exact specs. If you will upgrade video or overclock, you want to get a beefer psu like 450W-550W. The one you picked out is very good & more than enough for this build.

I'd get a GA-P35-DS3R instead of GA-P35-DS3. The "DS3R" allows 8 SATA devices instead of 6, supports more types of RAID, and it's much more popular (which means a better chance to get BIOS updates later if you need them)
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_ComparisonSheet.aspx?ProductID=2626,2627

Q6600 is a more future-proof choice than E6750, but the E6750 is good for games too.

Memory: I'd pick 2x2GB, this way dual-channel can work and you can upgrade to 8 GB later if needed.

Video card: great choice. Keep an eye out for the Thermalright HR-03 GT cooler (not the HR-03, that one won't fit on the 8800GT). Buy that cooler when it's available.

Corsair 520HX would be just right. If you want a bit more room for future upgrades also look at Corsair 620HX or PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W.

Edit: get a case with good airflow, that 8800GT will need it. Antec 900 is a good choice for example. And yes, it is important to avoid PSUs that come with the cases, because they are usually low quality. Not always, but often. Antec for example ships some pretty good PSUs with some of their cases.