Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD 3870 vs Geforce 8800GT (2 New Reviews!)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2007 6:36:59 PM
November 14, 2007 6:44:47 PM

itotallybelieveyou said:
again... bad drivers. Srry

on some of those benchies the 8800GT has a lead of about 30% or so...I really don't think a driver can close that GAP that much...but who knows...

EDIT: did you notice the AA 4x and AF 16x Test? The 8800GT destroys it...by 30%...
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 14, 2007 7:02:28 PM

Same thing as the 2900. It seems that my fears for DX9 were founded. In DX10 its a solid alternative giving the 8800GT a good fight but DX9 forget it.
I know you cant stop progress but it seems ATI are looking at the big picture rather than keeping the bigest consumer base happy for now they are building for the future, I wouldnt be surprised to see th e3870 have about a 25% lead on the GT in DX10 after a few driver updates.
Mactronix
November 14, 2007 7:14:22 PM

They seem alright to me. Not as quick as the 8800gt, but cheaper and quieter.
November 14, 2007 7:16:55 PM

mactronix said:
Same thing as the 2900. It seems that my fears for DX9 were founded. In DX10 its a solid alternative giving the 8800GT a good fight but DX9 forget it.
I know you cant stop progress but it seems ATI are looking at the big picture rather than keeping the bigest consumer base happy for now they are building for the future, I wouldnt be surprised to see th e3870 have about a 25% lead on the GT in DX10 after a few driver updates.
Mactronix

that is also my point of view regarding strategies
November 14, 2007 7:20:52 PM

pidesd said:
that is also my point of view regarding strategies

the question is should you really be looking that forward at this stage? a lot of us are using DX9 right now...and DX10 needs more powerful card than a 3850....
November 14, 2007 7:31:55 PM

doesnt seem to be doing bad at all for the price.
November 14, 2007 7:33:30 PM

qmalik said:
the question is should you really be looking that forth at this stage? a lot of us are using DX9 right now...and DX10 needs more powerful card than a 3850....

that is a good question indeed. i think the 38** should be looked at closely by those who want to keep their cards until maybe not the next gen but the one after. and imagine a game with the same beauty/hardware requirements ratio as half life 2 popping up in the near future. the 8800 s might be caught with their pants down if can say.
November 14, 2007 7:33:31 PM

tipoo said:
doesnt seem to be doing bad at all for the price.

are u guys smoking crack or in denial? seriously...unless the 3870 is $200 or less...the 8800GT will just trump it..I have a feeling the 3870 is only going to be $30 less....and the 8800Gt will fall in price over time.

*dont hurt me*
November 14, 2007 7:36:49 PM

*hits qmalik* drivers make a big difference man
November 14, 2007 7:39:31 PM

itotallybelieveyou said:
*hits qmalik* drivers make a big difference man

tru. but as of now - i have so little expectations that I do not see it gettgin closer than 20% gap vs Nvidia. But hey, I might be wrong..time will tell...
November 14, 2007 7:40:28 PM

copy paste from my last post

I just read the reviews at vr-zone, tweaktown and legion hardware.

At legion hardware I don't know why they used the 7.9 catalyst, but the review wasn't very complete, there was a lack of info in some parts.

At vr-zone they said that they used the ATI 8.43 drivers (linux drivers??), not good results for the 3870 nor the 3850 (you aren't supposed to use a 256mb card at 1920x1200 and higher res).

And at tweaktown they used some beta drivers included in the package (they didn't mention the version) and in that review the things were better for the 3870, much tigher results (the 8800gt still wins at most benchmarks).

Well, that gives me the hope that with the next drivers the 3000 series will have a nice performance boost.

I still want to see the real prices of the cards.

(I'm not a fanboy xD, just want that ATI gives a fight for the sake of the consumers)
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 14, 2007 7:40:56 PM

DX 10 needs a more powerfull card than we have available at the min full stop if you want to play to the full potential of the games. Sure you can turn down the detail and settings but its not the same is it?
ATI seem to be going headlong implementing anything MS throw at them(DX10.1) Which the CEO of Crytec said he couldnt care less about, so no update/support for it in Crysis.
Personally i dont care for DX10 and you would have thought they would get the currant tec right before moving on,things move on apace in the GPU sector i know but its getting daft whats next ? DX10.2 with the next set of cards anyone!
Mactronix
November 14, 2007 7:43:27 PM

v-r zone shows how better the image quality is on radeons. i think that nvidia is cheating with drivers
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 14, 2007 7:49:00 PM

They claim its a bad optimisation and who are we to say they are not telling us the truth :whistle: 
Mactronix
November 14, 2007 9:00:24 PM

Quote:
The new fan is fantastic, it’s extremely quiet.

I don't know what the guys at tweaktown are smoking, but 64dB is NOT quiet.
For comparison, a Normal Conversation 1ft away is 60dB. Average office noise is 50dB.
November 14, 2007 9:06:59 PM

First off I don't trust those sites to provide reliable benchmarks. Are the driver settings set for image quality or high performance? Nvidia is well known for optimizing their drivers for fps and not image quality. Honestly I could care less, still using a GTX anyhow but I would prefer ATI to release a faster video card than the GTX which will no doubt offer better image quality than the Nvidia product.
November 14, 2007 9:33:19 PM

qmalik said:
are u guys smoking crack or in denial? seriously...unless the 3870 is $200 or less...the 8800GT will just trump it..I have a feeling the 3870 is only going to be $30 less....and the 8800Gt will fall in price over time.

*dont hurt me*

Your the one in denial dude. Prices won't drop on the 8800gt for a long time. 40,000 units shipped with no greater supply in sight. Meanwhile, ATi has 250,000 units ready and will have another 150,000 by Christmas. Enjoy your ~$300 8800gt; I will go for my ~$225 HD 3870 and OC the living hell out of it.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 14, 2007 9:39:32 PM

itotallybelieveyou said:
VR-ZONE and TWEAKTOWN??? they are good

Couldnt coment on VR-ZONE but have found TWEAKTOWN to be reliable in the past
Mactronix
November 14, 2007 10:11:00 PM

monsterrocks said:
Your the one in denial dude. Prices won't drop on the 8800gt for a long time. 40,000 units shipped with no greater supply in sight. Meanwhile, ATi has 250,000 units ready and will have another 150,000 by Christmas. Enjoy your ~$300 8800gt; I will go for my ~$225 HD 3870 and OC the living hell out of it.

im gonna 2nd that, but the 8800gt 512mb is going for about $250 in Canada. about US$270.00

i like the idea of the ati 3870 it has a lot going for it

Pros
-------
1. 10% Cheaper than 8800gt (not sure about this, but so far the pricing i'm seeing agree)
2. dx10.1 support
3. better picture quality

Cons
--------
1. 10% slower than 8800gt
2. **** drivers and notorious ati customer support
November 14, 2007 10:43:30 PM

On the plus side, it looks like they've fixed their image quality issues, looked slightly better than the GT
November 14, 2007 11:14:31 PM

cruiseoveride said:

2. **** drivers and notorious ati customer support

Ay, true, very true. But ATi looks like it has been getting a lot better about driver recently, so hopefully they won't slip back into the old habit of terrible support. I mean, the drivers aren't perfect, but they are a heck of a lot better about releasing good, helpful drivers than they where before. I really want to see toms update the graphics charts with latest driver from both ATI and nVidia. ATi would still lose to nVidia for the most part, but they would do a lot better then they are currently in the charts.
November 14, 2007 11:42:08 PM

OWNED!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA ANOTHER FLUKE!!!!
November 14, 2007 11:58:23 PM

vaker5 said:
OWNED!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA ANOTHER FLUKE!!!!

Can you please explain. I have no idea what you are talking about.
November 14, 2007 11:58:43 PM

itotallybelieveyou said:
Catalyst 7.11 was a good one...

Funny thing is, 7.9 improved performance on HD 2xxx series by a good deal; and then 7.10 came along and improved te performance even more. Heck even my x1800xt plays Oblivion 2-3 fps faster than before. 2-3 fps makes a huge difference when you hit lows of 16-17. So why don't you just shut your sorry smart-allick mouth?
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2007 12:25:59 AM

qmalik said:

You know, these early reviews are about exactly as I expected. I think NV should be shaking right now. You can't find an 8800GT. newegg has 8 all out of stock priced from $280-330 + shipping. IF ATI truely manages to get 5 times the number of cards out first week than NV has so far, and they are priced $179-$229, it's bad news for NV for sure. Especially since nobody wants the Ultra, GTX, and GTS anymore either. OEM's are gonna JUMP on these cards too. If volume is abundant and prices are right, Kudos to ATI.
November 15, 2007 12:51:43 AM

pauldh said:
You know, these early reviews are about exactly as I expected. I think NV should be shaking right now. You can't find an 8800GT. newegg has 8 all out of stock priced from $280-330 + shipping. IF ATI truely manages to get 5 times the number of cards out first week than NV has so far, and they are priced $179-$229, it's bad news for NV for sure. Especially since nobody wants the Ultra, GTX, and GTS anymore either. OEM's are gonna JUMP on these cards too. If volume is abundant and prices are right, Kudos to ATI.

I'll second that. Only the guys to whom money is not an issue are buying the GTX/Ultra. Everyone else is going the GTS route. That is until nVidia came out with the GT. But now they can't supply it because they were stupid and rushed the release just so they could beat AMD/ATi to it. So now they do not appear to have the capability of getting their GPU out in numbers, what will everyone turn to? Well, ~$225 for something that performs 10% less at worst an looks like it can be OC'd really far...looks like ATi won't be botching this release. They look like they have got it together in the GPU realm. CPU wise...that's a whole 'nuther matter...
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2007 1:00:53 AM

Yeah, if crossfire performance shows to be good, and high availability = Sub $220 strett prices, I will cancel the 8800GT KO I have on order and buy a couple RV670's instead. NV released a sweet card, but overall they screwed up IMO for the reasons you mentioned. They killed the sales of their more expensive cards just to get a small number of these 8800GT's out before RV670.
November 15, 2007 1:13:18 AM

monsterrocks said:

u can get a 8800GT for $270...and 3870 will a little more than $225...imo about $240...$30 difference....However, I bought my 8800GT for $249.....a $9 difference...so I am happy and could care less abotu teh 3780 at this point..unless things change...

Either way they are both good cards..and only time will tell which is def. a better buy...but yes as of now some retails are selling the 8800GT for wayyy too much...i got lucky.
November 15, 2007 1:26:09 AM

I want to see how performs crossfire with all the combinations (2 cards only for now xD). It would be interesting to see how 3850 CF (~$110 cheaper than 3870 CF) performs against a 8800GT (a 8800GT isn't much cheaper for now), do they work at a decent temp with stock cooler? (read that 8800GT SLI work at 100°C with stock cooler and... that's bad).

3850 and 3870 CFx , do the lesser card limit the other? I guess not, otherwise it wouldn't be very nice.

3870 CF, temps (should be better because of the nature of the cooling solution)? OC then? bang for your buck?

Well, I don't expect good performance before the 7.11 catalyst, but still some questions can be answered now.
November 15, 2007 1:43:32 AM

At least we have a fight now (hopefully), whereas for the last 13 months my 8800 GTX has been mopping the floor with everything else.

A GOOD ATI card is good for us all right now, as domination for long periods of time hurts all us consumers.

I want a faster card than my GTX, but not going to have one available till ATI puts one out of the park, cuz nVidia has no reason to do so till pushed by their ONLY competitor.

Here's hoping the driver tweaks and OFFICIAL release numbers pan out and provide a worthy alternative.

THAT will make nVidia push something faster out the pipeline!

Sidenote- nVidia's stock has made me a boatload the last 17 months!
November 15, 2007 1:46:12 AM

I'm still very frustrated with ATI and their drivers, don't you guys think its retarded that we have to wait for "good" drivers after the product is launched? That just shows incompetence from ATI ‘s end. Whats the problem, why can NV do it and they can’t.
November 15, 2007 1:55:26 AM

qmalik said:
u can get a 8800GT for $270...and 3870 will a little more than $225...imo about $240...$30 difference....However, I bought my 8800GT for $249.....a $9 difference...so I am happy and could care less abotu teh 3780 at this point..unless things change...

Either way they are both good cards..and only time will tell which is def. a better buy...but yes as of now some retails are selling the 8800GT for wayyy too much...i got lucky.

Dude, that's my point. 8800gt might be a better card, but the ATi Hd38xx series has got numbers on it side. They won't have 250,000 cards ready, they already have that many. SO it is not an empty claim, they have really prepared for this release. Nvidia shot themselves in the foot IMO. They undercut their own cards and now they can't provide the card to anyone, so that is why I think the crown is gonna switch to ATi for the Holidays. Christmas and Black Friday are going to be field days fr the Hd38xx series.
$250 for an 8800gt??? I am very jealous...my x1800xt is starting to fade...
November 15, 2007 2:01:10 AM

Granite3 said:
At least we have a fight now (hopefully), whereas for the last 13 months my 8800 GTX has been mopping the floor with everything else.

A GOOD ATI card is good for us all right now, as domination for long periods of time hurts all us consumers.

I want a faster card than my GTX, but not going to have one available till ATI puts one out of the park, cuz nVidia has no reason to do so till pushed by their ONLY competitor.

Here's hoping the driver tweaks and OFFICIAL release numbers pan out and provide a worthy alternative.

THAT will make nVidia push something faster out the pipeline!

Sidenote- nVidia's stock has made me a boatload the last 17 months!

It is not a fight; ATi is gonna slaughter nVidia for two months or so. They can't pull 8800gt's out of nowhere, and they aren't shipping them fast at all. With prelim tests for the 3870 its already a d*** good card. With catalyst 7.11 it could be on par with 8800gt. Like I said, ATi has been stockpiling their GPUs in preparation. Who in their right mind would guy a GTX when nVidia's own GT will beat it with a mild OC. But the GT is nowhere to be found. However, the HD 38xx series will be released in high quantities. So unless your on no-limits budgets for your PC, the HD3870 is not going to have ANY competition unless nVidia can crank some 8800gt's out of their arse.
November 15, 2007 2:11:27 AM

hok said:
I'm still very frustrated with ATI and their drivers, don't you guys think its retarded that we have to wait for "good" drivers after the product is launched? That just shows incompetence from ATI ‘s end. Whats the problem, why can NV do it and they can’t.

All I heard right after the launch of the 8800 series was complaints about the drivers, so I don't know what your saying about that. Catalyst 7.11 will be out this month; 7 is to 2007 and 11 to November, so it has to be released this month. I don't think you will be waiting for it. ATi has really been working hard to prepare for this, so I am gonna make a gamble that catalyst 7.11 will be release with the new cards. I don't think any graphics card has been released with any drivers better than "good" before; certainly none have been released with excellent drivers (I could be wrong, but if memory serves me right, I'm not) It is just something you have to deal with. Now I won't disagree if you say ATi tends to have worse drivers on release of their cards, but I think that is going to change. Like I said, I think ATi has released that the are in prime position to pressure nvidia like crazy right now; nvidia undercutted themselves (which was stupid, seeing as how they should have known they did not have enough supplies to provide for demand) and now ATi can undercut nVidia, which would help to bandage the cash AMD is currently bleeding. I think the release of this card is going to have a significant impact on Q4 financial reports this year; they certainly won't be making money this quarter, but I am confident that they are going to continue to stop up the leaks they sprung.
November 15, 2007 2:35:14 AM

I just hope I can find a good deal on Black Friday. I like Nvidia, but with no GT's in sight, I'll buy ATI. Either way, it is a big step up from my 7900GS :) .
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2007 3:11:27 AM

hok said:
I honestly believe the ATI cards offer more, and are harder to optimize, tho given time, can excel further over time
November 15, 2007 3:27:22 AM

Did any of the reviews state what kind of power supply the 3870 needed, especially on the 12v rails?
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2007 3:30:08 AM

Its in the same ballpark as the 8800GTS for power consumption. 30 AMPS should do it. A good 500 watter should do the trick
November 15, 2007 3:49:47 AM

monsterrocks said:
Funny thing is, 7.9 improved performance on HD 2xxx series by a good deal; and then 7.10 came along and improved te performance even more. Heck even my x1800xt plays Oblivion 2-3 fps faster than before. 2-3 fps makes a huge difference when you hit lows of 16-17. So why don't you just shut your sorry smart-allick mouth?

I highly agree! my x300 gained an avg 10 fps from te first driver update and then an additional 5 later on! =] I run my x300 on air and look at the specs below =] If u know how to oc, thats what you get! NOTE i didnt oc it, my friend did, so dont ask how...

*i know its **** but i made it get 60 avg fps on HL2 with full settings 8aa, no antistropic filtering, 1280x1240 res., no [HDR]*

anyway itotallybelieve you or whatever, dont talk trash till u know what your talking about... i have to agree with silverion77, you only post negetve **** all the time, do us a favor and leave!
November 15, 2007 3:53:29 AM

MooseMuffin said:
They seem alright to me. Not as quick as the 8800gt, but cheaper and quieter.

That's my point of view. Take World in Conflict, there's a 3 fps difference at the low end and a 5 fps difference at the high end. Maybe the 8800GT does better in FPS, but I'm looking forward to World in Conflict, Hellgate London and The Witcher, so I don't think the 3870 has any disadvantages in the long run and few in the short term.

I was going to get an 8800GT but the price performance isn't there since the X3850 and 3870 slightly improve on the X2900 in fps and greatly improve in energy consumption. The only thing holding me back getting a 3870 next Monday is an emergency dental visit, so I guess I'll get it on November 30th instead of the 19th!

Really, the halo effect of high end overpriced cards make the marketing winner in every generation look good to the masses, but it's the price performance at the $150-250 price point that makes or breaks a card generation.
November 15, 2007 5:09:40 AM

Situation with drivers will improve, but so nVidia's (if they could just stop with quality tempering...). IMO 3870 wont reach 8800GT overal performance, only in several games.

Still knowing 8800GT will be faster, I'm thinking about 3870, probably Crossfire. Why? Several reasons, in order of importance to me :) 

1. Its SILENT!
2. Performance about 10-15% lower than GT, but price is lower ~20+%, more performance per $.
3. Availability.
4. Crossfire has better support lately, also scales better.
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2007 5:50:16 AM

Wow, looking at Anand's review, the HD3850 > X1950XTX and dual 3850's = 8800GTX(limited tests run) at all resolutions. I'd like to see the 3850 vs my 320MB GTS
!