Sign in with
Your question

SSD DRIVES ON THE CHEAP!! HIGH PERFORMANCE!

Last response: in Storage
July 1, 2008 1:36:25 PM

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=12248

Quote:
And unlike the Super Talent MX SSDs, these new Core series doesn't give up much in terms of speed to its more expensive rivals. OCZ is projecting read speeds of 120 to 143 MB/sec and write speeds of 80 to 93 MB/sec. All Core Series SSDs feature a mean time before failure (MTBF) of 1.5 million hours.

Quote:
The 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB models are priced at $169, $259, and $479 respectively -- the drives also feature a two-year warranty.

Quote:
the drives will likely hit the market very shortly.

Finally, we have something in the hard drive space to look forward to!
July 1, 2008 1:56:19 PM

sweet.
its now time to create the COMPLETELY quiet PC.
July 1, 2008 2:14:31 PM

Sounds like a great small drive for the OS. I've been looking for one of these that won't ruin my retirement plans. Good find!
Related resources
July 1, 2008 2:24:25 PM

petevsdrm said:
Sounds like a great small drive for the OS. I've been looking for one of these that won't ruin my retirement plans. Good find!

LOL Indeed! Also the smaller 32GB drive is almost cheap enough you could put two of them in a raid for even more performance.... (I know I know I am a sick person and probably need help lol)
July 1, 2008 2:31:32 PM

The only problem with the 32gb is that AOC will take up the entire drive! 25gb's of addiction.. If I were to use one of these in the near future I would make sure I use a HDD for some of my massive games and video, music etc, while I leave the SSD for the OS and programs, which is what most people are going to be doing.

EDIT: this would be Amazing for WINRAR and Photoshop!
a b G Storage
July 1, 2008 4:05:13 PM

Don't hold your breath, these things are MLC rather than SLC (that came from an OCZ Importer), that's why they're cheap.
a b G Storage
July 1, 2008 7:02:29 PM

What's the small write and random write performance like though? That's where cheap SSDs really give up completely - some can be outperformed by a factor of 10 by even a 5400RPM notebook drive.
July 1, 2008 7:14:41 PM

MrLinux said:
Don't hold your breath, these things are MLC rather than SLC (that came from an OCZ Importer), that's why they're cheap.

Exactly right! When you purchase a SSD for the intent of having a very fast drive, please make sure that you get a drive with MLC technology, not SLC. SLC is fast, but nothing compared to MLC ones. I have a 64GB Samsung MLC drive and it is the best investment I have made with computers in a long time. If you have the extra cash and are willing to spend it, again, make sure it is an MLC.
a b G Storage
July 1, 2008 8:50:29 PM

pbrigido said:
Exactly right! When you purchase a SSD for the intent of having a very fast drive, please make sure that you get a drive with MLC technology, not SLC. SLC is fast, but nothing compared to MLC ones. I have a 64GB Samsung MLC drive and it is the best investment I have made with computers in a long time. If you have the extra cash and are willing to spend it, again, make sure it is an MLC.

Um, no. Actually, you want SLC. MLC (multi level cell) allows the drive to store 2 (or even sometimes 4) bits per cell, but it is slower and wears out faster than SLC (Single level cell), which devotes each cell to 1 bit. If you have the 64GB Samsung Flash SSD (with the fancy metal exterior), you have SLC.
a b G Storage
July 1, 2008 9:20:58 PM

The current problem with all (most) SSD drives is the write speeds. I would personally use a SSD for holding the OS and read speed sensitive software only. Other than that I would get a 10k RPM drive.
July 1, 2008 10:40:09 PM

After 20 years of building PC's on my own I've grown tired of the vacuum cleaners sitting under my desk and dominating the sound in my office. This go around I bought a Dell Precision laptops and slapped the Samsung SSD (I also installed a 64 gig Samsung SSD in my PS3) in it. Its amazing. The thing sits on my desk and makes not a noise. On occasion the GPU fan comes on but its quite (not bad for an 8800 gts derivative). It's cool, fire the laptop up and the only noise you hear is the DVD drive adjust. Iv now rolled out about 10 SSD's here at work and I can honestly say that they are much faster than normal laptop drives, by far in all aspects from building them from scratch. Now I have a Samsung 64gig in my Work Latitude D830.

I've had 4 sets of 10K Raptors over the past several years all in raid 1: 2 x 32 gig, 2 x 64 gig and 4 X 128 gig. If you want any kind of sanity with piece and quite, dont get those drives, my last set rattled my office non stop. With Vista and indexing... you just gotta turn it off or they just drive you nuts.

a b G Storage
July 2, 2008 1:29:58 AM

$169 for 32GB is cheap?
July 2, 2008 10:27:56 PM

cjl said:
Um, no. Actually, you want SLC. MLC (multi level cell) allows the drive to store 2 (or even sometimes 4) bits per cell, but it is slower and wears out faster than SLC (Single level cell), which devotes each cell to 1 bit. If you have the 64GB Samsung Flash SSD (with the fancy metal exterior), you have SLC.

Argh! I am wrong but in the right way. I got my SLC and MLC defs mixed up, thanks for correcting me. Please replace every SLC for MLC and MLC for SLC and my post will be a bit more accurate!

I think I will go hang my head in shame now...some computer tech I turned out to be
!