Sign in with
Your question

can the P35 motherbard withstand the test of time?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 27, 2007 1:49:50 AM

Hey i was looking into a p35 motherboard... but i have a few questions!

Do any of the p35's upgrade to ddr3?
Will it upgrade to penryn?
Does it have PCI express 2.0 slots?
What is the best P35 motherboard on the market? (i was thinkin the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R)

All answers are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2007 3:05:57 AM

1. Maybe, not sure. But if you want DDR3, you need to get a new rev of the board that has DDR3 slots. As DDR2 and DDR3 have different pins and voltages just like DDR and DDR2.

2. I think so. Maybe with a bios update.

3. No. Only AMD's RD 7xx chipset and X38 support PCI-E 2.0

4. Somebody else could answer that. But I heard Abit IP-35 Pro was a good value.

If you really want PCI-E 2.0 and DDR3 get an X38 board, though they aren't the best value boards out there.
November 27, 2007 3:16:00 AM

Yeah im just looking for a good board that has high fsb, nice cooling, pcie 2.0, and might upgrade to a new processor or ram... i always like to think about the future... just in case ddr3 may be necessary to play tomorrows games... im guessing ddr2 is fine for the next 3 years and i think i can oc my pentium d 820 to 3.74 GHz like everyone does to max the lifespan! Thanks for the answers! Im prolly gunna wait till mobos get cheaper maybe Q1/2 of 2008

what do you think?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2007 4:48:47 AM

Well then you're looking at an X38, or X48 if you could wait a bit. DDR2 might be at its best up until by next year. Me thinks by 2009 DDR3 would start reaching down to the higher mid-level segment. 3 years would be reaching too far if you're building a sensible-priced gaming rig. Usually you can only go up to around 2 years in advance, and upgrade the vid card later. Quad's are still for the upper mainstream as of now, maybe after 2 years then games would start being quad-optimized.

Don't know what P35 board I could recommend to you, but P35's are the better value as of now, minus the DDR3 and PCI-E 2.0.
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2007 12:10:38 PM

the yeti said:

What is the best P35 motherboard on the market? (i was thinkin the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R)

Firstly: Yes, P35 boards can run Penryn (Wolfdale/Yorkfield) - The Chipset *does* support it, irregardless of the endless stream of b*llsh*t posts you may have seen on the boards here.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3138

DDR3 memory modules are 'keyed' differently from DDR2 - They will not fit into the same slots. Therefore you will have to decide on DDR2 *or* DDR3. At the moment, DDR2 is the safest bet, although 6 months to a year from now I'm sure the story will be different.

The P35 chipset doesn't support PCIe 2, so you'd need an X48 if that's a firm criteria. Having said that: Even a 8800 GTX Ultra doesn't come close to overwhelming the current buss.

As far as "Best"?? You're likely to get many different answers from as many people. Personally, I'm *LOVING* my DFI LP P35. But these sorts of questions tend to be popularity contests just as much as genuine technical evaluations, and DFI isn't exactly a big volume player... /shrug I chose it for it's VERY strong voltage regulation, general build quality, and the fact that it has actual screws holding down the heat sinks rather than fasteners. Makes installing Water cooling, and other mods, a whole lot easier. Bios differences are key as well - The one this board uses does what it says, and says what it does. No need to interpret +/- settings, etc...

Honestly though, as long as you're looking at the same chipset, nearly all quality makers' boards will bench within a % or two. Manufacturing tolerances between individual boards will matter more than who actually made the thing. I'd recommend picking the top maker's offerings, reading the Features list. For overclocking/lifespan, I'd give voltage regulation setup much more weight than fluff features. For example: 5,000 SATA connections when I only need 4.

meh - my $0.02

{edited to add link}
November 27, 2007 12:40:49 PM

Thanks! That was one of the most descriptive replys here... i think im gonna wait for price drop on x38 or x48, cause i had a feeling ddr2 wasnt gunna last to long =[
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2007 1:27:51 PM

the yeti said:

Yes, GA-P35C-DS3R and Asus P5KC will support DDR3. It's not exactly an upgrade though, because you have to take out the (up to 8 GB) DDR2 before you can add the (up to 4GB, slightly faster, enormously more expensive) DDR3. A PC with 8 GB of DDR2-800 and a 64-bit OS is better IMO than a PC with the same config and 4 GB of DDR3, at least if you run big applications, and it's cheaper too.

Yes, P35 boards will upgrade to Penryn.

No, PCI-E 2.0 is not officially supported in P35.

GA-P35C-DS3R is very good. I can tell you though that the USB ports are slow (I get 3 times faster performance with the same LaCie external hard disk on my Dad's prebuilt HP box than on my P35C). Also, the GA-P35-DS3R overclocks better and costs a bit less, while only losing the useless DDR3 support. I would say the GA-P35-DS3R is better. I'll get around the USB thing by getting a Seagate FreeAgent Pro and using eSATA, but still, it's annoying.

Which mobo is best for you depends on the features you need.
If you need two video cards then GA-P35-DS3P is better. It won't allow SLI or Crossfire, but you can have two video cards and thus support 3 or 4 monitors. It also has Firewire.
If you need Crossfire then look at GA-X38-DQ6.
If you need SLI you're in trouble, because 680i is the only chipset that allows SLI at x16+x16 and apparently upgrading to Penryn doesn't work so well with that chipset. Better wait for 780i.

aBit IP35 Pro is one of the best mobos out there. The only bug I know of is slow networking.

November 27, 2007 1:34:31 PM

Thanks! That too was verry informative!

Im looking for:

Crossfire support - optional
PCIE 2.0
penryn

WHAT IS SO GREAT ABOUT PCIE 2.0??? What does it do?
November 27, 2007 2:07:48 PM

hrmm, iam also saving for pcie 2.0 which has the delay / queuing data support,

iam looking for DDR 2 + Pcie 2.0 mb
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2007 2:11:42 PM

the yeti said:

WHAT IS SO GREAT ABOUT PCIE 2.0??? What does it do?

It's a new spec which doubles the amount of data which may be carried by a given lane. PCIe 2 is backwards compatible. In My Humble Opinion, while this may be a good thing from a 'future-proofing' point of view, the current spec is FAR from being saturated even in SLI/Crossfire configurations. Therefore having it adds bullet points to the ePeen Checklist, but does little to give the end user any increased performance over the existing spec. Though in fairness - I'm very much looking forward to the day the GPU makers force me to upgrade... :D 

Oh - Here's more than any sane person needs to know about PCI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
November 27, 2007 2:30:37 PM

the yeti said:
Thanks! That was one of the most descriptive replys here... i think im gonna wait for price drop on x38 or x48, cause i had a feeling ddr2 wasnt gunna last to long =[

By the time prices come down enough to make DDR3 affordable enough you'll probably want to upgrade your whole system. :) 
November 28, 2007 2:29:26 AM

K so howabout this????

4 gb ddr2 800 corsair DHX

http://shop2.outpost.com/%7BHCitJTBpfagmTFhcJCflhg**.node3%7D/product/5253827;jsessionid=HCitJTBpfagmTFhcJCflhg**.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

P35 Ds3l or DS3R

Pentium D 820 - ocd to 3.74 GHz

HD 3870

what do you think??? How long till new upgrade with this?

ALSO lemme get this straight!?!?!

PCIE 2.0 doesnt increase performance by much

ddr2 800 is good for about 2 years (its so cheap right now =] )

and ill need to upgrade my processor in about another year *iv had it for 2 1/2 years and still happy =]
!