Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
here are my specs
maximus formula
q6600 go stepping
8gb gskill pc8000evga gts512
zerotherm nirvana
vista64

when left at stock my cpu temp is about 27-30c, mb temp is say 33c. but each core reads 30-34c. under load cpu temp goes to 40, mb temp 43 and the cores go to 43-46 still well within range. This is with asus probe and everest<probe doesnt monitor cores just cpu temp> this is all good so far

when I overclock it to 3.0ghz by cpu level up. Im just getting my feet wet here and wanted to do a test run this way.
I get cpu temp 43, mb temp 46. this in both everest and probe. but the cores go nuts in everest. when stressing it with prime95 each core will climb to 65-68 in under an hour. I shut it down because I didnt want any problems. Is this something to worry about? its stable and it never crashed, though its only an hour. but the heat disturbed me

hawkspur

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Don't use CPU Level Up, it overvolts like crazy and that is likely your problem. Just do a little research and get things working yourself and you will be set :).

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
^ agreed

Your problem is that Level Up is overvolting the cpu which creates a lot of heat. That will cause the problem. Those G0's are good till about 70C so you're just in the limits

Hawkspur.....i need pics :D

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
vcore goes from 1.14 to 1.34 when using level up. I can see why that would generate alot of heat. I just didnt expect it to get so hot so fast. I could see if I chose the crazy mode and went to 3.6 but 3.0 isnt too high.

I did read something in the temp guide that was interesting.
tcase temps should not exceed 71c on a q6600, and t junction should not go above 100c.
if Im correct, tcase is the cpu temp as a whole 46c, and tjunction is the hottest core 68c. I know im still too hot and need to do it manually to get to 3.6 but wouldnt those temps be within specs? might not be healthy though.

what programs do you guys use to monitor temps etc. if all I used was probe I would never have known the core temp was so high

thx for all of your info

hawkspur

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Coretemp and Speedfan are pretty much the standard.

Silverion, it's still not done yet. I had to RMA the motherboard and it doesn't get here until Wednesday. Stupid water and its electrical conductive properties...

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
100C is the limit as to which it can go until the cpu starts to throttle itself = not good. Anything above 70C is unhealthy and could cause damage.
Also, 1.34 should not be causing those temps. with a Nirvana. What Thermal Paste are u using? Is the cooler seated right?
Speedfan is what I use to monitor temps. Also if using XP, Coretemp is also good (doesnt work on Vista yet). If you get Speedfan, read Computronix's temperature guide to calibrate the cores correctly.

Edit: Harkspur beat me :p

Is this one of those whoops problems that is better to be left unknown :kaola:

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I could be wrong on the vcore. Im at work and doing it from memory.

Im using as5, one thin line across the cpu. the cooler is facing the back of the case and blowing right into an exhaust fan

Im using the zerotherm nirvana. ive been thinking of changing it. If I tighten all fours screws I get a cpu init error. I have the top two tightened down all the way and the bottom two backed off a bit. They are tension screws so Im assuming they dont need to be tightened all the way to get a good connection. Im also basing that on my temps being fine at stock speeds. or am I wrong in this assumption.

to be honest I had all four screws backed off a bit to avoid a cpu init error when i was building it a few weeks ago. But I didnt like it. looked like it was hanging down a bit. so i tightened the two top scews all the way down and I was still able to post and the temps looked ok. so i called it a day.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I will tighten them up sunday or monday when i get a little time. Maybe because the top two are locked down it will let me tighten the bottom two without a cpu init error. then I will know its not how its seated. the zerotherm has tension screws, so Im assuming its not necessary to go all the way down. otherwise why use a spring in the first place. but what do I know...Im a noob at this stuff

thx for the help