Sims 2 + SimCity 4: Interactions

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

With TS1 you could put your Sims into your cities, can you do it with TS2?

I read somewhere that you can use parts of your cities as neighbourhoods how
does it work?

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

You can make a neighbourhood for TS2 with SC4. You use a small city size
and the neighbourhood will only be a small part of that. Maxis says it's
the middle of the map that gets transferred across but in my experience it's
the middle south of the SC4 map that gets taken up. Only certain things
transfer - basically roads and, allegedly, bridges though I've found that a
bit tricky. Also trees. Nothing else - just the land topography, road
layout and trees. The transfer can be a bit patchy and sometimes you loose
bits of road and the bridges. However, with the neighbourhood building
tools in TS2 itself and a good high-end graphics card, the neighbourhood you
build can end up looking pretty good. I think I might post one of mine -
when I'm satisfied with it - either on the main site or TSR.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Will Bradshaw" <wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
> With TS1 you could put your Sims into your cities, can you do it with TS2?
>
> I read somewhere that you can use parts of your cities as neighbourhoods
how
> does it work?

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:53:36 +0100, "Will Bradshaw"
<wbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote:

>With TS1 you could put your Sims into your cities, can you do it with TS2?

Nope :-\

>I read somewhere that you can use parts of your cities as neighbourhoods how
>does it work?

Yep... well... I think the way it works is, you use the smallest map
type from SC4, and you draw roads and stuff... and then you can build
houses adjacent to those roads... there are lots of sample maps in
Sims 2... I plan to try it one of these days, and make my own map, and
move all my houses and sims into the new neighbourhood.

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

You can transfer across the topography, roads (the black ones, not the grey
streets), trees and the first four bridges that came with SC4 only - not the
bridges from Rush Hour (no Golden Gate then). There are some oddities pop
up - one of my SC4 maps transferred across back to front - so east became
west. Also, the bridges are not easy to get right as the ground around the
ends of the bridge gets remodelled slightly in the transfer - which can
cause it to disappear. It can be frustrating to keep having to fire up each
programme in turn until you get everything as you want it. However, once
you get it across, you can then use the neighbourhood modification tools in
Sims2 to add stuff like rocks, waves and clouds and also the hot air
balloon, birds and flowers. You can end up with something that looks pretty
nice. The more roads you include initially means more space for lots - you
can't add roads later so add all you want in the first place. Oh yes - you
do use the smallest map size and it only takes the middle portion of the map
across - so don't bother building up to the edges.

Best wishes
Jen

Maxon wrote:
> You can transfer across the topography, roads (the black ones, not
> the grey streets), trees and the first four bridges that came with
> SC4 only - not the bridges from Rush Hour (no Golden Gate then).
> There are some oddities pop up - one of my SC4 maps transferred
> across back to front - so east became west. Also, the bridges are
> not easy to get right as the ground around the ends of the bridge
> gets remodelled slightly in the transfer - which can cause it to
> disappear. It can be frustrating to keep having to fire up each
> programme in turn until you get everything as you want it. However,
> once you get it across, you can then use the neighbourhood
> modification tools in Sims2 to add stuff like rocks, waves and clouds
> and also the hot air balloon, birds and flowers. You can end up with
> something that looks pretty nice. The more roads you include
> initially means more space for lots - you can't add roads later so
> add all you want in the first place. Oh yes - you do use the
> smallest map size and it only takes the middle portion of the map
> across - so don't bother building up to the edges.
>
> Best wishes
> Jen

I think they made it too difficult to get what we wanted.... I mean why
reverse the direction, and only use the middle portion.... Why not just
shrink the size? It's a little difficult to get everything the way I wanted
so at one point, I just settled for an okay customed map....

Ashikaga

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Its more of a tacked-on feature than something core to the game, which is
why its not as fleshed out as you might like. The entire map is rendered in
the Sims2. You just have to unlock the camera to see all of it. This is
to keep you from seeing the edges of the map, and the sudden drop into blue
nothingness.

All maps you imported will be mirrored on both axes. So up will be down,
and left will be right. =) Roads in Sims2 are smaller than they appear in
SimCity, so it can take some playing around before you're comfortable with
the scale. Keep playing around with it and you'll make neighborhoods you're
happy with.

Jonas Bane wrote:
> Its more of a tacked-on feature than something core to the game,
> which is why its not as fleshed out as you might like. The entire
> map is rendered in the Sims2. You just have to unlock the camera to
> see all of it. This is to keep you from seeing the edges of the map,
> and the sudden drop into blue nothingness.
>
> All maps you imported will be mirrored on both axes. So up will be
> down, and left will be right. =) Roads in Sims2 are smaller than
> they appear in SimCity, so it can take some playing around before
> you're comfortable with the scale. Keep playing around with it and
> you'll make neighborhoods you're happy with.

Thanks. I already got a neighborhood. :)

Ashikaga