Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Quad-core game advantages?

Last response: in CPUs
November 11, 2007 3:54:45 PM

AS many of you are aware I am on a quest (a freakin ever quest type never-ending I wanna scream quest) to build a new computer. I've done much research and started many threads* and I am still ever inching my way to the end. My next question is this: I originally wanted to get a C2D E6750 because of its attractive price and me trying to be froogle at the same time. Now I've heard many good things and inapparently it is not all that hard to OC a Q6600. Lets just say that I am very interested. But what good will a quad do me if my fav games don't even touch the potential of the quad? What Games out there that are your (the people) favorite games that utilize the quad core? Will the Source games use it? F.E.A.R.? C&C3? etc...

*Threads currently out: The False Truth about SLI? http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246064-33-false-truth, New Build http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246227-31-building-8800gt-help, and PSU confusion http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246165-28-confusion-help.

Thank you all in advance
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2007 4:11:27 PM

Supreme Commander supports four cores, so does Lost Planet.

There was supposed to be a Source engine update that would enable multicore support, but I have no idea if Valve decided to go through with it or not.

Quake IV users a dual-core, I know. CnC3, I have no idea, I'd have to check, but I'm not on my gaming machine.

Be aware, though, that more cores is part of the future, and more and more games are being developed with multicore support, so I would seriously consider a quad core.
November 11, 2007 4:19:10 PM

You can see a bit in the CPU charts
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&m...

Most games don't use four cores, but in a couple years i would bet that having a quad core cpu will be an advantage.

If you're going to change your cpu in a year, E6750, otherwise Q6600. Another option is to wait a bit for the yorkfield and wolfsdale cpu's to see how they performs and see how the prices go down.
Related resources
January 3, 2010 2:40:43 PM

GTA 4 is also a BIG using quad core processor, this game depends on your processor...
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2010 2:51:19 PM

Though I am not a gamer my viewpoint is that games will no doubt evolve to where more and more of them will be compiled so that they take full advantage of current technology.

As for the ones that don't you still can't really go wrong because even as you game there are still processes running in the background so these can be taken care of by the spare cores freeing up more cycles for you to game with on the others.
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2010 3:01:28 PM

Need another thread lock...

Why can toms add a feature to lock threads more than 6 months old. would save the mods a lot of time to do other stuff.
January 3, 2010 3:13:21 PM

There is actaully a warning as soon as you start typing a response to a thread that is more then 6 months old.

When they post anyway we automatically know they are morons.
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2010 3:15:11 PM

djcoolmasterx said:
There is actaully a warning as soon as you start typing a response to a thread that is more then 6 months old.

I know they have that feature, it just (to me aways) would be better to have it automatically lock a thread instead of warning the poster that the thread is 6+ months old.
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2010 3:31:29 PM

Ah, the good old E6750 vs Q6600 debate. That E6750 did exactly what they said, it kept up for almost 2 years and was OK for another year before I changed it out.

Oh and READ THE DATES!

Seriously, the mention of only the E6750 and the Q6600 didn't give anyone pause?
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2010 3:32:59 PM

djcoolmasterx said:

You might take into consideration that some folks are new and getting accustomed to how the place works.

Besides which some advice isn't date specific so no need to get all bent out of shape about it.

Have a little patience for goodness sakes before starting with the name calling that seems to be a little too common a practice here.

After all at some point everyone was a noob. :) 
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2010 3:58:17 PM

Bringing up this old thread, does at least have one good thing. See how old the dual vs. quad debate has been going on, with people saying quad games are right around the corner.
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2010 4:00:52 PM

BadTrip said:
Bringing up this old thread, does at least have one good thing. See how old the dual vs. quad debate has been going on, with people saying quad games are right around the corner.

Got a point there. :lol: 
a c 83 à CPUs
January 3, 2010 5:13:07 PM

BadTrip said:

They're already here, not all games use quad, but a large number of new releases do.
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2010 9:25:23 PM

BadTrip said:

Well compared to my old E6750 Crysis runs about the same, until I disable PhysX and get a 10 FPS boost...

Nope Quads suck...
January 4, 2010 8:43:54 PM

LoneWolf_53 said:

After all at some point everyone was a noob. :) 

Yes but even noobs should be able to understand the importance of Lurking Moar.
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2010 9:39:12 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!