What Coolant liquid does everyone use?

topher219

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Im in the proccess of building a new computer and cooling system and have been looking at all the different coolant options that are available. Ive seen reviews go both ways for products. So here I am what do you all reccomend?

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I've been using PC-ICE exclusively now for about 6 years on my various watercooled and TEC cooled setups. I like it for its lubricating properties (for the pump) and because it is non-conductive. Over the years, leaks have sprung on occassion and I have spilled the coolant a time or two onto active parts (like the MB) and had the bejeezus scared out of me for fear of blowing my rig. However, the product has proven true to its word about being non-conductive.

TonyL222

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I use Swiftech HydrX and distilled water. Only issue is that it only comes in UV Green (which I've grown to like). Definitely a great corrosion inhibitor and lube.

A lot of people like pentosin and PT Nuke. Some like auto antifreeze (about 5%) plus PT Nuke. PC-ICE has a good rep.

I wouldn't stress out too much about which is "best." I'd just use an additive that is a) a corrosion inhibitor, b) biocide, and c) pump lube.

I will say that I've seen a couple of negative postings involving Feser One, though it wasn't clear that the product was the cause.

topher219

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Thank you all for your suggestions, I decided to hold off on the water cooling for now. I dont really plan on overclocking so i should be fine with air cooling. Im using an e8400 so from what i have heard those dont put off much heat at stock nothing a zalman cant handle. The only thing Im worried about is cooling the video card but Im sure I can find a good fan for it. Instead of water cooling Im going to get a quality receiver and speakers. Im thingk Onkyo 705/805 and some Elegant Design speakers 3.1 system for now then upgrade down the road once I get a bigger place.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
would coolant work? i mean radiator coolant from a car. i really dont see why it would be needed, but i also dont see how it could hurt.

...just curious....

TonyL222

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005

Yes it works. But you should use no more than 5%-10% mixture with distilled water. It acts as an anti-corrosive and pump lubricant. However, if you use too much, it will actually retain heat. Pentosin G11 is nothing more than VW antifreeze.

Qwakrz

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2004
Well, I use normal shop bought car antifreeze now.

I used to use the stuff that came with my Swiftech water cooling kit but things started to grow in it within 6 weeks of filling (really bad sign & I had used distilled water).

So far running 3 months with Antifreeze and have had no problems and have not had to drain it yet.

WestWarrior

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007

Too bad its not really non conductive, and gains conductivity after about a weeks use.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006

I'm not sure where you get that from but I've been using my current PC ICE for about 2 months now and I just tested it for conductivity (because of what you said) and it is still performing as advertised. I've been using PC ICE for almost 6 years now and it has never let me down.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
LOL, nice. I am gonna try out this PC ICE first, got the three jugs earlier... still testing out water cooling.. I did notice that mu Ultras on one loop = good, an Ultra and a processor block... not so good, because the Ultra naturally gets hotter. I will let ya know how it goes!!

--Lupi!

TonyL222

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
No you don't need to add any color. Plain distilled water is probably the best coolant. However, an additive can help to lubricate the pump, prevent corrosion, and act as a biocide (algae). Any coloring is just a bonus. Primarily for looks, but UV under a black light can also show any small leaks that might otherwise go unnoticed.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I want color in my goo! When I re built the water coolers on my Ultras I added a piece of white strong toilet paper lining around all leakable areas! So if it even hints at leaking, the TP gets distorted from moisture, but as a primary detection method, it turns blue! Call me parinoid! But I can now look at my Ultras and see that there are no leaks!

Not to mention the calking I did around the things too, lol!

Tx! --Lupi!

WestWarrior

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007

How did you go about testing for conductivity?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Is there some sort of method in cleaning a water cooling setup? As in, draining the green goo thats in it, and at that point do you just give it a rinse with normal water to clean it out, and then dry it as best as ya can... then add the new stuff?

Since I dont want anything to taint the PC ICE... any info?

--Lupi!

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Westwarrior

I spilled it (by accident of course) on an active motherboard and nothing happened. A leak from a fitting spilled some in my PSU while the computer was running.

If I am cleaning a cooling loop I drain it of my PC-ICE and then run a mixture of vinegar and water for a bit. I have a seperate PSU that has a plug that alows me to run the PSU without being connected to a MB. After I am through with the solution I just run straight water to flush it out. I empty the loop and add the PC-ICE back.