Possible HDD Failure?

Source-X

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
For about 1 year, my 400GB Western Digital HDD is running just fine until today (probably). When my computer enters boot screen (Vista) and it'll stuck in there and the loading box (I don't know what's called) keeps moving endlessly for long time and it won't go to login screen.
After several restarts I still have the same problems then one more restart, it won't detect HDD. I decided to restart one more time and it still won't detect my 400GB HDD. I turned off the machine for several minutes and turned it on but I still have the same problem (stuck at boot screen) but after several restart, it won't detect HDD again. I decided to do this one more time (turn off for a while then turn on) and leave the computer while it's still in boot screen to see what happens. After 10 minutes (maybe) my machine restarts itself and HDD not found.

Also I've tried booting in safe mode and it got stuck at crcdisk.sys

I believe there's something wrong with my HDD. Is there any solutions?

Thanks.

sailer

Splendid
While its easy enough to blame the hard drive, the problem could be elsewhere. The OS might be corrupted, for example. This may seem odd, but what type of motherboard do you have? The reason for asking is that a number of Nvidia based motherboards have been known for corrupting hard drives. Anandtech recently did an article about the problem http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=460 Though Anandtech looked mainly at the 790 boards, the problem has been reported on other boards as well.

Whatever the make of the motherboard, you should first check to see that all the wires are correctly placed. A loose wire can cause lots of havoc. After that, you should attempt the re-install the OS on the hard drive. You loose any data that's on it, but you've lost it anyway if the drive is bad. Hopefully, you've backed up anything of importance. If a re-install restores the hard drive to functioning correctly, then problem solved. If not, or the OS refuses to install, then the drive may have gone bad and WD should be contacted about a RMA.

Source-X

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007

Thank you for your reply.

My motherboard is not Nvidia based. I have P5KR motherboard, that should not be a problem.

Reinstalling OS should not be a problem, I won't lose most valuable data so I tried to reinstall Vista but my HDD won't show up when entering the partition manager (the one asks you which drive to install) in Vista installation, it's all empty. I've tried scanning drives and nothing comes up.

I've already checked the wires, the wires are where they should be. It should be fine.