I will buy Crysis......and then let it sit on my shelf for months

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
That's right, I am going to buy Crysis when it is released ( I already have it pre ordered) then I am going to tuck it away somewhere in my computer desk until........ I can play it at very high settings, using Vista at 1680x1050.

Right now no computer can really play this game with all it's glory, my computer puts forth a decent effort sustaining playable frames at all high settings in XP ( in the demo ) But I crave something more....now before you rip into me about ' it's not about the graphics it's about the gameplay' I will say that I agree. When Oblivion came out I had a mid range system. I played it at low res, no AA medium settings. I was amazed at the visuals, the game itself was incredible, I ended up putting in 250 logged hours into my character. Later in the year when I upgraded my system I wanted to play it again in all of it's visual glory! Needless to say I couldn't do it, I was so bored of Oblivion, that even the pretty graphics couldn't keep me sitting there playing the actual game. I would find myself loading up the game to show friends how great the game looked, and then never actually played it anymore.

Now that we see reviews telling us that this game is not only a visual masterpiece, but an excellent story and FPS I have sworn to not play the game until I can enjoy the gameplay AND the graphics at the same time, other wise it would be a waste of time. Yes, the game looks nice now, but why not wait until new High end GPUS are released to play the game, does anybody else share my views ?

LyonheartAz

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
I am waiting for new hardware ( CPUs..GPUs.. MBs ) before I play Crysis for the same reasons. I have always played games as soon as they come out and have never had a PC to be able to play them maxed out. I want to play Crysis on a 24 screen with all the bells and firecrackers turned up! And a lot of other games .. GoW..CoD4 and others...

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Nice to see someone with my point of view! I am sick of having to re-play games just to see what they could have looked like visually the first time I played it. And let's face it when you play a comp. game it is always better the first time around, esp. a FPS. This maybe is not so for RTS tho. THose can be enjoyed time and time again I suppose.

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Sounds good. But you could wait to buy it.... just buy it when you get the hardware to play it. It should be cheaper by then. At least a little bit. So.. it'll save you a little money.

mrmez

Splendid
Me thinks CPU's are up to Crysis quite easily ATM, and by the start of '08 (which aint that far) there will be an affordable gfx solution to match.
I think the 8800GT's perform quite will and the new G92 GTS is set to beat it easily.

So dont stress little buddy ;)
U would probably complete it 2-3 times anyway :)

killz86

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
i will be lazy. and wait for the price to come down some lol. i already got my game for the month. comapny of hero's opposing Front's which is a awesome game btw. i wonder what game i will get for next month

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
If I was plannin on waiting for a new system to play a game I would wait for the new system to come in then buy the game, as the game would be likely to go down in price in the interval. Just me :D

OR You could always rip through it now on easy and do it again properly when the graphics are up to par :)
My take on it would be to wait to buy it by the time you can play it as you would wish to Crysis will most likley be in the 2 for £/$20 section.
Mactronix

airblazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Don't go by the fps in the demo..the final retail release of crysis is a lot more optimised plus Nvidia release beta drivers for it.
At high settings in XP at 1680x1050 I'm varying between 30-40fps and averaging around 35fps.
This is about 10fps higher than I was getting in the demo and the game is well playable.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
why not buy crysis at the same time you upgrade for the gfx1800gtx/hd5900xt, that would save you money. who knows maybe by that time crysis will go along as a bundled software... saving you big bucks eh?

i myself did the same thing with far cry, i just played it 2 months ago (in its full glory, i borrowed that game for my 5700 and turned it down) haha. and dang, i can smell the leaves in the forest and feel the rocks on the beach. sweeeeeet!

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Yet another load of crap about how rubbish crysis is because their rig cant play it..

How about, try waiting for longer then like 2days after it was released? Both nvidia AND crytek are going to release patches! Please stop wasting your lives complaining when its not even optimized yet. It's not GPU limited as a lot of ppl say.. it doesn't even use the CPU yet! Its not programmed too! Its EXTREMLY cpu limited..

It barely uses 2 cores...

Just wait for it to be optimized before stressing about it..

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006

If anybody cares i am doing the same thing for Crysis 2 and COD 5. Oh and i am not going to wait till there cheaper either ill buy them when there released just so i can show my support to the developer and my hatred of money.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Just wait until it becomes cheaper. New games are about £25 in the UK online, but you can usually pick up 6 month old games for £15 or less.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
It all depends on game settings.. yes its unoptimized atm I honestly can see performance going up like 20% with better drivers.. the CPU support should give an enourmous improvement alone..

But, the main problem is ppl using unnecessary settings. Seriously if they checked some things first it would be fine. Some settings take performance and make no difference.

Does actually wind me up a lot... I know it shouldn't but it really does.