snowmanman

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Hey all, I am new to the tomshardware forums as you tell. I am new to building custom computers to. Lately I have been saving money up to build me a new pc that i will build next month. I have most of the parts picked out except the graphics card(waiting to see 3870) and a monitor. I'll wait to pick out a graphics card, but right now I am trying to find a nice 22" monitor. I have looked on newegg and seen lots of 22" monitors, but I can't really tell what monitors are better than others. I know about contrast ratio and response time. Monitor manufacturers don't really give information on what type their monitor is(such as tn, s-pva, s-ips). Samsung has a pretty good reputation, right? So, I am considering their 22" monitors. I have narrowed it down to 2 "different" monitors.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001240

and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001096

Can anyone tell me which one of these is better?
oh and sorry for the wall of text :p

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
IMO the 226BW is the better choice if you're going to be playing any sort of fast-paced game as it has a 2ms refresh rate vs 5ms on the other one. Once you're into the 5ms+ range there's a chance you might notice some 'ghosting' on things on screen. I don't know much about the other monitor, but I've read lots about the 226BW and it seems to pretty much be the best 22" out there for gaming atm. I'd google some reviews for both if I were you. Good luck!

All consumer level 22" LCD monitors use TN panels.

The one exception will be the Lenovo ThinkVision L220x. It will be using a S-PVA panel and has a native resolution of 1920 x 1200 with a suggested price of $550.

This monitor is expected to be released this month.

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006

I've got a Samsung 216BW which is a 5ms response time like the second one he linked and I've never had any issues with ghosting, just some minor tearing if I don't enable vsync when I get more than 60fps.

I have a 226 and have been very pleased with it. Out of the box, I thought it was WAAAAAAY too bright. But that's common because side by side on a showroom floor, the brighter monitor 'looks' better. It's also perfectly simple to fix. So meh. Out of the box the colors appeared a little blue, again a simple fix. No dead or stuck Pixels. You can see some backighting in a dark room on a black screen. In the same dark room the backlighting is not evident at all in usage.

You might want to tape a piece of paper over the on/off button tho. They have the backlight set somewhere between 'Oh My God' and 'Sear Retinas at 250 Yards'.

I do have a problem with it tho: The problem is called "My Friend's Dual 24" setup". /envy

snowmanman

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007

Wow, that monitor looks like a beast. I might just wait for that :D