simcity 3000 questions

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

What do landmarks do? I know that in simcity 4, there is a chart in the
manual saying how much each landmark increases the demands or the property
value or the aura (at least I think there is such a chart, based on some
basically is that you can place up to 10. I looked at several strategy
guides online, and most did not even say that much. I tried placing a few in
my city and seeing what happened, but I could not really tell if or how much
they affected things.

Is there a purpose to them, other than it looking cool to put something like
the arch du triomphe next to the mayor's house.

In a city I built, I made a section of my city that the only transportation
was subways. How does the trash get to the incinerators if there are no
roads or rails. Does the trash get magically ported to the incinerators, or
are there "trash cars" on the subways or what?

How come I have two airports, and upon querying each of them, it says that
air traffic is light, but then commerce is still asking for airports. Is
there any way to determine the location that they want it in.

When the message comes on that says that gridlock is strangling your city
and that you should put up more bus stops and such, how do you determine
where to put them (I already put them on just about every corner. Or should
you look at the map that shows where the heavy traffic is and make double
wide roads in those places (I know that is what they do in "real life,"
judging by how much road construction that is going on near where I live).

Brian Christiansen
3 answers Last reply
More about simcity 3000 questions
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

    "Brian Christiansen" <brian_christians@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<QYI5d.815$5b1.716@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>...
    > What do landmarks do? I know that in simcity 4, there is a chart in the
    > manual saying how much each landmark increases the demands or the property
    > value or the aura (at least I think there is such a chart, based on some

    I don't know about simcity 4 - I'm waiting for the Linux version,
    which will probably never happen. However, in simcity 3000 landmarks
    are mainly decorative, this is true in all versions, Windows, Mac, or
    Linux. That doesn't mean that they're useless: UFOs attack landmarks
    first, which means that you can use them to protect your more
    important buildings from attack. Also, tiles occupied by a landmark
    count as having 0 pollution, which in smoggy areas can signdificantly
    improve the desirability of neighboring tiles.

    I suspect that the chart you're thinking about for reward buildings,
    not landmarks. Each revard building has very specific benefits, which
    is why they count as rewards.

    > basically is that you can place up to 10. I looked at several strategy
    > guides online, and most did not even say that much. I tried placing a few in
    > my city and seeing what happened, but I could not really tell if or how much
    > they affected things.
    >
    > Is there a purpose to them, other than it looking cool to put something like
    > the arch du triomphe next to the mayor's house.
    >
    > In a city I built, I made a section of my city that the only transportation
    > was subways. How does the trash get to the incinerators if there are no
    > roads or rails. Does the trash get magically ported to the incinerators, or
    > are there "trash cars" on the subways or what?

    The game is relatively unsophisticated in it's handling of garbage
    transportation.

    > How come I have two airports, and upon querying each of them, it says that
    > air traffic is light, but then commerce is still asking for airports. Is
    > there any way to determine the location that they want it in.

    Your airports might not be big enough to develop properly. How big is
    each one?

    > When the message comes on that says that gridlock is strangling your city
    > and that you should put up more bus stops and such, how do you determine
    > where to put them (I already put them on just about every corner. Or should
    > you look at the map that shows where the heavy traffic is and make double
    > wide roads in those places (I know that is what they do in "real life,"
    > judging by how much road construction that is going on near where I live).

    I haven't figured out Simcity buses. However, I can tell you that
    while they do help, they are not sufficient. You must build light rail
    or subways or highways to relieve the traffic congestion. The
    Subsidize Mass Transit Ordinance will make your mass transit
    significantly more effective.

    Those are all supply-side solutions. You can also reduce the demand
    for traffic by making sure that Sims don't have to travel far to meet
    their needs. Make sure that every zone is within a reasonable
    distance, through your transportation network, of zones of each of the
    other two zone types. Lowering zoning densities, and putting in more
    parks, trees, and water, and fewer buildings, will also reduce the
    demand.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

    "James Kuyper" <kuyper@wizard.net> wrote in message
    > "Brian Christiansen" <brian_christians@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I don't know about simcity 4 - I'm waiting for the Linux version,
    > which will probably never happen. However, in simcity 3000 landmarks
    > are mainly decorative, this is true in all versions, Windows, Mac, or
    > Linux. That doesn't mean that they're useless: UFOs attack landmarks
    > first, which means that you can use them to protect your more
    > important buildings from attack. Also, tiles occupied by a landmark
    > count as having 0 pollution, which in smoggy areas can signdificantly
    > improve the desirability of neighboring tiles.
    >
    > I suspect that the chart you're thinking about for reward buildings,
    > not landmarks. Each revard building has very specific benefits, which
    > is why they count as rewards.

    Perhaps it is rewards, though I guess I thought both were in simcity 4. The
    3000 manual (at least the .pdf manual, which is what I have) does not have a
    chart that shows what the reward buildings do, but that information I could
    find online. As for linux, according to the transgaming site Simcity 4 gets
    a 4 out of 5 (playable with some minor irritations) on workability with
    cedega (formerly winex).

    Brian Christiansen
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

    "Brian Christiansen" <brian_christians@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > When the message comes on that says that gridlock is strangling your
    > city and that you should put up more bus stops and such, how do you
    > determine where to put them (I already put them on just about every
    > corner. Or should you look at the map that shows where the heavy
    > traffic is and make double wide roads in those places (I know that is
    > what they do in "real life," judging by how much road construction
    > that is going on near where I live).
    >
    > Brian Christiansen

    I've never known bus stops to be a great reliever of traffic
    congestion. I just make sure that I can double or tripple
    my main arterials. Rails and subways are also good, to a point
    then they get crowded. I generally use subways to connect the
    city center with far outlaying subburbs.

    --
    Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps
    Gordon Reeder

    Where is George Bush leading this country
    and what are we doing in this hand basket??

Video Games