Sign in with
Your question

e6320 @ 3570mhz, 1:1 ratio w RAM, what's the Dream backdown? - Page 3

Last response: in Overclocking
March 15, 2008 5:32:42 PM

You don't have to change the thermal paste of anything if you're not going to keep it more than a year. Since it had already been more than 6 months, and I was disappointed with the motherboard's temp, which was 40C, I decided to clean out my pc.

I have a Stacker 832 case, so taking everything out was real easy. Unscrewing the motherboard was easy enough, and I just took off the NB heatsink and the SB(like ICH9R) heatsink off. Then I grabbed some rubbing alcohol and a lint-free 100% cotton rag and cleaned off both the thermal pastes off the NB/SB and the heatsinks. Then I applied Arctic Silver 5 (AS5), putting a small dab of it in the middle. AS5 is conductive, so after putting the paste on, I washed my hands. Then I put all heatsinks back on, pressing down firmly to spread the thermal paste.

Then I took my vidcard out and unscrew the heatsink. Used rubbing alcohol to clean off the old paste. Then I used AS5 and applied a dab of it in the center. Then replaced the heatsink, all done. Did the same to cpu too (I have a GeminII cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... An avg cooler, but I got it for cheap). Then got another rag and cleaned off the dust off all the fans I have.

Right now, I'm trying to get my ram stable, now the settings' are 3-4-4-12. It's not that much better, but I didn't expect much more performance anyways. Temps for CPU are as good as before, 65C under load in Prime95. Motherboard temp (Dunno if it's the NB or SB, there's only one temp) went from 40C to under 38C, which is what I expected. Vidcard temps a little disappointing, dropped from 55 to 54C, probably didn't put enough AS5. Of course I need to let them cure so they should perform better later on.
March 15, 2008 5:46:04 PM

Your Zerotherm BTF90 is a decent cooler, you will not see much gain by getting a Zalman 9700NT. Zalman are pretty good for cooling, but their high prices is NOT worth the performance. Of course, if you value looks and silence over performance, I guess it's okay. The Zalman 9500 is smaller, thus worse than the Zalman 9700. Expect only up to 4C lower if you do upgrade.

Currently, it seems like the Xigmatek is the best price/performance atm. It's pretty tall, and it doesn't look great, but it performs alright. There's one 120mm fan on it, and a review can be found here: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm It's the first one under Intel. The other ones are real good too.

I don't like very noisy systems, I can only bear up to some level of noise before going crazy. However, I also like cool systems, but you can't have a cool system that's not noisy. So I got myself the Stacker 832 and installed 9 x 120mm fans. Of course that was real loud, like an airplane, so I bought myself a fan controller: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... The best and cheapest fan controller out there, fits in any 5.25in bay.

So now when I need silence to watch movies/listen to music, I just reach over and turn my fans down. It's now pretty quiet, still noisy enough so I can't sleep, but it's better than before.

The American way, the bigger the better, the more the better.
March 15, 2008 6:03:16 PM

w/ 9 fans, u must game a bit, cuz i watch movies/ actually more tv/ and music, and my lian li case is quiet and cool, w/ front & back 120mm fans, and i have 2 zalman little fan controllers, only i turn them up for orthos. i run very cool, maybe, then, u game & need fans, or your oc needs fans. my little oc what i got is quiet and cool, but i live in a filipino house, and u can't sleep 2 here, just 2 dodge your fan blaster what u got there. lol.
Related resources
March 15, 2008 6:07:21 PM

I used to game a lot, but now I didn't buy any new games. Right now I'm just using it like an HTPC (not really, but I've got good speakers and all so it's close). I'm eying the game called The Witcher, seems excellent.

I probably don't need that many fans or that size of a case, but I'm paranoid, so yeah.
March 15, 2008 10:01:41 PM

maybe, when u r paranoid, and u use the htpc, u should take a little diet pc (pepsi cola.) 4 me, this is just what the doctor ordered. btw/ i can't hear myself think, that u got so many fans there. u should trade them (for girl fans.) tom L.
March 16, 2008 2:42:27 AM

That's the whole point of my fan controller, to silence those 'manly fans'.

I'll take your other advice though.
March 16, 2008 6:06:07 AM

cheers 4 u.
March 17, 2008 1:33:03 PM

hi. did u see the last super bowl 4 football? they played it in arizona or colorado, where it was warm. the undefeated boston patriots were favored, over the ny giants, led by the little manning, mr. eli. his father was a great quarterback for alabama in the college 60's, archie manning. anyway, the ny giants by eli manning won, but the patriots were good. there were only 4 patriots, but everybody was rooting 4 the patriots. this was patriot-ic, patriot-oc. the patriot timing was the biggest concern. everyone wondered, 'how u doing on that patriot timing, sir?' and the question remains, is it lower? is it ok? btw/ yesterday, sunday, i took back my linksys router 2 the store, cuz it would not connect 2 internet directly, when i would boot up. i had 2 connect it myself, so, why go wireless? i like it fine now, gigabit ethernet, it's good. also, this p5k-e board has memory advanced feature, esp. 4 2 oc, so u really notice a difference in the feel of the oc'd pc. my now 2.456ghz oc, w/ this board, feels alot cooler, than the 2,8ghz where i settled w/ that ds3r-p35 gigabyte board. these asus p5k-e boards rock.
!