Is more than 32" on 720p bad idea?

mcidfta200

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
I'm seeing this 42" AQUOS that's only 720p, but 6000:1 contrast... I need a new tv but I would also like to use it as a monitor for pc games and stuff... Is this a bad idea? I mean will it be too distorted?

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
It really depends... If your have the proper source and the right cables its still going to give you a great picture. But it also depends on how far away your sitting from your TV. For a TV that size and if your sitting about 7 feet away its very hard to the human eye to see a great difference between 720p and 1080p. In terms of contrast... alot of companies put there contrast up in bold print and wear it as if it were a badge of honor but its almost a useless number (in terms of TVs) because theres no set industry standard for measuring contrast. I would say trust your eyes, do more research, and trust your gut.

Not to bring Sharp down because I use to be a pretty big Sharp fan but lately I'm just not that impressed with there LCDs. I hate how there pixels are aligned almost in a zigzag pattern. From far away you can still see it if your know what to look for but if your planning on sitting fairly close it would just drive me nuts.

My picks are always Sony and Samsung.

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I have a 42" Toshiba at 720p and at 8-10 feet it looks great - standard def tv looks worse close up on the bigger monitors - but 720p looks fine at almost any distance. If you are gonna have to sit closer than 8 feet smaller might be better.

JDeSimone

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
I have a 37" Westy 1080P 1920x1080 that I use as a dedicated computer display. I sit approx 3 ft from the display and gaming/normal desktop navigation has never been so much fun. I consider it the best computer related purchase I have ever made.

Joe D.