Sign in with
Your question

Very slow performance in my desktop

Last response: in Windows XP
April 2, 2010 8:42:59 PM

My computer is performing extremely slow and sometimes it freezes temporarily (it wasn't this slow in the past!!). I installed Norton Internet Security 2010 thinking that a virus might be the problem but it's still slow. I tried upgrading the RAM from 256 to 512 MB (since it's an old PC: Pentium III, running XP) but it didn't work. After I run a free registry booster online, this website (Microsoft certified) is telling me that to fix all my slow performance problems in my PC I need to purchase a complete registry boost scan for $29.99. should I trust this?
April 2, 2010 8:54:33 PM

:lol:  You don't need to pay them for anything.

Your RAM is part of your problem. 512MB can run XP, but not real well. I recommend at least 1GB.

Download ccleaner. This program can clean up all sorts of clutter on your system, as well as clean/repair your registry.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Boot into safe mode with networking (F8 on startup). Download, install, and update malwarebytes. Do a full system scan to make sure your PC is clean.
www.malwarebytes.org/

Try defragging your hard drive.

If you have large files on your desktop, move them into your My Documents or some other folder, and put a shortcut on your desktop. This will help your desktop load faster.

Go to your startup folder, and remove whatever you don't want starting with windows.

If there are other programs starting with windows, go to their options, and stop them.

Run msconfig, and disable unwanted services and programs.

These should help. You could also do a fresh install of windows. That will help clean up cobwebs.
m
l
April 2, 2010 10:46:55 PM

ecuarepair1 said:
My computer is performing extremely slow and sometimes it freezes temporarily (it wasn't this slow in the past!!). I installed Norton Internet Security 2010 thinking that a virus might be the problem but it's still slow. I tried upgrading the RAM from 256 to 512 MB (since it's an old PC: Pentium III, running XP) but it didn't work. After I run a free registry booster online, this website (Microsoft certified) is telling me that to fix all my slow performance problems in my PC I need to purchase a complete registry boost scan for $29.99. should I trust this?

If the other suggestions do not materially help, you might consider wiping your hard drive clean and reinstalling Windows and your other critical software. Of course, you will need to back up your data first. Good luck!
m
l
!