Q6600 load temps on stock setup and hsf

john_d

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I'm on a stock setup with the stock intel hsf. My load temps on prime 95 torture test as measured by core temp are:

core 1-69c
core2- 70c
core3-70c
core4-72c

vcore- 1.216v-1.224
ambient room temp- 20c

I get these temps after running prime 95 for about 15 min. I stop the tests after that.

I've reglued and reaseated the hsf.

There is a difference of about 35c on idle and load temps (t-junction delta). According to all the articles I've read the t-junct delta should be under 25c.

Has anyone measured load temps on a stock setup and hsf like mine?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
70C is to hot, you need to get a better cooler! What do you mean " I've reglued and reseated the hsf? Anyhow you haven't installed your CPU cooler correctly, I see this happen all to often on many forums. When you were installing your CPU cooler did you push down hard to the point where you thought you'd break the mobo? If not thats how hard it is to get them on correctly. For this reason alone I bought another cooler that was EASY to install, at stock E6600 2.4GHz my idle was 17 degrees C and 27C fully loaded.

cal7

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007

i dont think you will get 17-27C with core temp.Maybe you use another program to check temps but anyway the E6600 is not Q6600.And i would say the 70C john has is not that hot but of course with a better HSF he will get into the 50s.I have a Zalman 9700 HSF and i get around 55-60C.I`ll check again when i go home and post some temps later.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Don't bother with this guy he has DOUBLE POSTED and needs to reread the forum rules!! I won't be helping this guy out because he doesn't value our suggestions. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246198-28-q6600-thermal-issues

john_d

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
i'm sorry but i've tried all the advice proffered. I've taken out the hsf and reseated it. However, I haven't been able to buy an aftermarket cooler because none are available in Kathmandu, Nepal.

But I'm still getting the same temps.

What I need is someone to give me load temps on stock setup and stock hsf.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well... 22c or 20c is an pretty cool room for ambient temp, so your system should be running cool even under load in my opinion.

Asking for someones load temps really isn't going to help your situation, but may even frustrate you even more.

Perhaps your not getting a good amount of airflow through your case, if the HS is seated right. There have been so many people with temp problems (in the past ever since the 775 socket was out) due to HS that was not seated correctly. I've mess with the 4 pins on a clone HS (E4300), and admit I spend perhaps the majority of my time (10-15mins) installing the darn thing. :lol:

Only advice I have, is to take the MB out of the case and look to see the pins to be sure:

MB-back.jpg

And if it was your 1st time building a 775 socket system, watch this video:

Intel CPU Install

Hopefully you'll figure out whats going on.

BrutalDawg1

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
systemlord i highly doubt you get 17c idle considering thats 62F, unless you live in a freezer. Use coretemp and lets see those temps.

dhvd79a

Distinguished
May 9, 2006

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
70 degrees under load according to core temp is about what you can expect, at about 2.5GHz (stock HSF), or 3GHz with a decent cooler. They run hot. Anyone who claims to have a B3 Q6600 running fully loaded at under 60 degrees in the cores is flat out lying.

john_d

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Thanx for the pix, grimmy. I will rip out the motherboard from the casing and reconfirm. By the by, I have trawled through the Intel site and also seen that video you refer to.

God save the CPU in the summer.

DrMaV

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Hey john_d,

My Q6600 B3 does that with intel stock heatsink, 38c and load 71c, ambient 22c, AND at 3.0 GHz with 1.22v on Asus Maximus Formula SE (fsb 333x9), prime stable for 4 hours.

core 1-71c
core2- 69c
core3-71c
core4-68c

I tested my Q6600 B3 with 1.392v, overclocked to 3.283GHz, and temps reached 100c (even got the screenshot), prime stable for 30 minutes. All with intel stock heatsink. After 30 minutes I stopped.

Yes I know, temps were extremely high, but prime stable and no throttling. I honestly was trying to fry the chip, just to see how much it would take, but after 30 minutes, decided to stop.

So, for all those out there, the Q6600 seems to be a beast, even the B3 stepping. I got it to 3.74 GHz in windows, but did not test it with prime ... too scared of temps (even with intel stock heatsink). So, I’m waiting for my H2O setup.

I have 3x120mm fans aimed at the mobo, with an asus maximus formula se (no water cooling - and it's still quiet (21db fans).

I could only imagine what the board and chip could do with water cooling.

My Q6600 B3 would do 1.16v at stock clock (2.4GHz), and temps never got above 55c during prime. All with intel stock heatsink. So, I'll have to strongly disagree with "shadowmaster625".

I would agree, that as soon as you put the volts to the chip, the temps rise very high, very quickly.

So, you do need better cooling on the chip, if you plan to give it the volts, but my B3 overclocks well, even with low voltage - and no water.

I don’t know how to post pictures here, and if someone can show me how, I’ll be more than happy to show pictures of aforementioned statements, as proof.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Ok here it is, pay attention to Speed Fans CPU temp (18C T-case) and Core Temp (T-Junction). Then look at the second picture for after my overclock. I don't live in a freezer, I live in southern California.

11122007170341gd7.jpg

By systemlord at 2007-11-12

11122007163028oc7.jpg

By systemlord at 2007-11-12

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Or they have some other cooling method other than air cooling.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

17C? That is approx 62F. So you actually believe thats correct, eh?

With Speed Fan zero'd out on my system, it reads 22C, and I don't believe its correct. Especially when I use an IR thermometer pointed at the HS (Tuniq) and it shows 28-30C (82-86F) and the base of it is 31-33C.

So all their saying is.. you must be living in very cool conditions, if it was correct. :lol:

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I have lapped both the CPU and the TT 120, dropped my idle and load temperature 6-8C. I keep my thermastat set at 65F so its a bit cool in my house. Everest Ultimate also had 17-18C as CPU temperature, thats two different programs showing the same temps.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Still... your CPU temp reported by the bios is still cooler then 65F (room temp, that is if thats accurate enough). And its basically going to be warmer in the PC case, even with good airflow. My room temp is going to be at least 1C cooler then the ambient temp in the PC case. And thats taking a IR thermometer reading right at the front intake of my 140mm fan.

But if you insist that its right, then how do you explain my temps? 22c by the bios, 28-30C IR @ back of my HS? I can post and brag about how different apps show a low temp, but I know it isn't right, since I trust my IR thermometer readings more, which to me, needs to coincide at least 1C difference.

I have had my room temps even at 65F (it was prolly colder, didn't have the IR then). (leaving the window open on a winter night) and let me tell ya... it was soo cold, I still had to bundle up in front of 2 systems (1ghz AMD Thunderbird / and my old P4 Northwood 3ghz). But man, my temps were impressive. :lol: . o O (40-45C AMD/ P4 3ghz 36-38C)

john_d

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
i've taken out the motherboard, turned it over, and confirmed that all the heat sink pins are locked down.

I've also changed the PSU just to be sure. My idle temps are great but the CPU really starts to cook when loaded.

Any satisfaction I'll get now, will come from breaking this damned machine to pieces........just kidding.

Maybe when I go to India next I'll try to buy an after market hsf.

Any recommendations on the hsf?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

First of all have you lapped your CPU & HSF? Second your not able to get as good a reading temp wise using a temp gun because the DTS senser is inside the processer. I do hope you know that the 17-18C temps are CPU (T-case) temps and not core temps. I can't believe you'd trust the bios for accurate temps!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Heh... no I didn't lap anything. Yes I know what the Tcase and Tjunction sensor are.

Just because you spent an hour or so doing what you thought was literally cool, doesn't mean your Tcase temps actually are at 17-18C temp according to the bios. I don't mean to bruise your pride in saying that.

Now I can understand, you have more physical surface contact, to help transfer heat, but that doesn't mean you can go below ambient temps.

Edit:

For example, my bios was reading 22-23C, but yet my IR Thermometer:

IR-BHS.jpg

Which is 30C, an 8C difference of ambient temp. Now do you understand what I'm saying? It has nothing to do with lapping.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

You know I always hear that and I've been wondering lately.. Logically.. no you can't go below ambient temperature. However heat pipes work on the principle of evaporative cooling. Much in the way that your skin is below ambient temperature when the wind hits it while you are sweating.

Anyways.. not saying it's possible, just wondering. It may be impossible due to the heat output of the processor, however evaporative cooling and the absorbtion of latent heat into the liquid medium is the basics of refridgeration.

Now I want to find a way to test it.. tho I have a feeling everyone is right that it's impossible to cool below ambient without chilling methods.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

If the ambient temperature is 42C and you grab a fan and force the air through a set of fins, I'd call that wind chill factor. Now the windchill factor is always low in temperature than the amient air not moving. There are many different temperature programs that will show my 17-18C temp, Speed Fan, Everest Ultimate will both show 18C temps.

I am enjoying this thread/topic we have going here so theres no hard feeling here. :) You've seen the picture that I have provided that shows T-case @ 18C and the core temps show @ 25C, how can all three be wrong? You know my brother has a laser temp gun also and after a year of using it his nitro powered engine lost to much compression do to the fact that his temp gun was way off in temps.

We found that out by using a infared temp device that cost only $30 bucks and we bought two and both of them had the same temp as each other, but were different brands. We look at each other and said, "all this time you have been running way to hot or lean on the nitro fuel. I'm not saying that your temp gun is off in any way but...

Back to our interesting topic if my core temps are 25C then really my T-case temp should be 5 degree's cooler, core temps are usually 15C hotter than T-case temp, right?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I don't get it, I just got a notification that Computronix repyled to this thread but theres no post yet. What gives? I was able to post before Computronix and yet he has already posted here according to my email. :heink: :heink:

Still here waiting, :lol:. It will be interesting to see what time he posted compared with my time at post.