the yeti

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Is the performance increase enough to upgrade?? or should i just stick with old faithful p35 DS3L??

PCIE 2.0

UP SIDES?

DOWNSIDES?

what do you think?

I posted a link for you in your mobo thread: PCIe 2.0 dictates twice the throughput of 1.1. 2.0 is forwards and backwards compatible: meaning you can run 1.0/1.1 devices in a 2.0 slot, and also run 2.0 compliant devices in a 1.0/1.1 slot.

Now - As far as "real" performance increase? That's going to be difficult to pinpoint. Why?? Because the existing standard isn't close to it's limits. If you'll allow me to make up some numbers: Think of it as doubling the speed limit on the highway from 70 to 140. If no cars exist which are powerful enough to go faster than 50 miles an hour, and there are enough lanes to fit the traffic, does it matter???? This is like the situation now. Even multiple devices aren't capable of running faster than current limitations. So increasing the capacity of the pipe isn't going to bring much 'real world' benefit. At least the way things stand at the moment.

And Yes, I look forward to the day when I can spend some of my hard earned on a "100+ MPH" Graphics card.... :D

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Wow.... just think of the power of a 100+ MPH graphics card! it would be almost as fast as my car! Maybe if they can make the cards a little more aerodynamic then it won’t be limited to that speed by that... as my car is limited to 140 because of the aerodynamics of it, unless I am running downhill!

No, in all seriousness… Why do PCI 2.0 when they should just do PCIe 32x? I mean come on! We are not using the full bandwidth of the PCIe 16x!!!!

Well... maybe you could try flinging your GPU edgewise... :pt1cable: ;) :lol:

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
OF COURSE!!! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!

I also wonder if it would make much of a difference between the dual slot cooler vs a single slot cooler to get it passed 100 MPH?

TRENDING THREADS