780i Chipset, your experiences here! Just grabbed an XFX board!w/Q6600

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Just got home with an xfx 780i, gonna mess with it later! if you have anything kewl to report, or sucky, please post it here. Gonna replace this trash board 680i that cant run over 320 fsb.
Can your 780i?
Whats yer OC?
Tweaks?
You get the idea!!

Thanks!!

--Lupi!:bounce:

kjoy064

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
I would love to know how you get on... cause i am still tossing up between the Q6600 and the E8400. Mainly for games but i think if i can get 3.0ghz out of her with a cooler i'd be happy.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Oh, well thats easy, thanks to evilonigiri making a good suggestion. An 150 dollar p5k-e, I have my g0 quad happily stable at 3.61 To make sure, I even installed Vista and everything else while overclocked. thats a 250 dollar quad. ;) And it took like 10 mins. But sure, since the 780i is replacing my primary comp, a 680i sli board, I will work on it soon. And let ya know!! Thats on a lapped arctic square, processor too, and it does get to 73 on my flamethrower core #2, but thats air, and not the best air! I have liquid waiting for it, once I decide on its configuration.
Please let my 680i nvidia stripe survive the transfer to the 780i!!!

--Lupi!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Hehe, first test, damn thing doesnt like my other install of windows and my raid array, because it does some tricky stuff when it installs the newer motherboards resources. And its seeing 2.75 gigs of 4 gig?? That blows too.

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Gods, if I could stop windows from automatically searching its pre configured drivers folder and auto installing the mother board resources, all would be well! But since it automatically installs the new drivers, as soon as it does the new USB and PS2 ports, I lose mouse and key control. I can not Click on Restart!!! Its sitting right there, saying all the drivers were installed properly, just have to restart for windows to make its modifications to the files as it shuts down.
But... I cant click shut down. If I force re start it, whatever drivers that can be dynamically changed are, but I get to the log in screen, and when winblows takes control of things, I lose mouse and keyboard control. Up until windows flashes into the log in screen, all is well!!!

How the hell do you stop windows from automatically searching its pre defined drivers folder? Or, how do you stop it from installing ALL new drivers for any new hardware it detects, so that I can do it manually!!!
Come on, some knows the answer... give it up!!

--Lupi!

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Reinstall the OS. :)

Then install the drivers, I had a lot of issues when moving a HD to another pc without reinstalling anything. Games would give errors and stuff.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Well, I installed the forceware beta junk for 780i. It does give you access to all but a very few bios options, every page, and nearly every option!! The ones you cant set dynamically are weird ones ya dont touch anyways. That feature is kinda neat, and the bios updater through the nvidia forceware junk, it worked! Thats always a good thing. Interesting to note that the bios bin file, which was named some gibbleygook, was an nvidia bios rom.
I was hoping that it would see more of the 2.75 it saw! Thats weak. And I was crying when it only showed 3.25!!! Guess it showed me!
Will keep ya updated, my b3 q6600 is a power hungry, fire breathing beast! While I could get it stable at 3.6, it was smoking hot, hehe. And the VCore appears to need to be very high to be stable at 3.2, hehe. So thats netting 77c on air if I run it on full load. Owww!

--Lupi!

troymscott

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Lupiron, Well I have the same mobo and I too am only getting 2.75 GB of RAM out of my 4 GB. I however went with the e8400. Becasue you are an overclocker I have a question for you. I have never OC'ed before what differences would I see if I took my chip from its stock 3.0 up to say 3.6? Would I actually see any differences or woud it only be a difference seen in benchmarkin?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Yeah, must be a lame bulid of the mother board for now. I just hope they correct it with a Bios release soon! Thats worse than all the other boards I know of!! I really used to cry when it only lets me get 3.25 gigs. but Under 3?? I dunno who is stupid enough to make a board that only sees a lil bit of yer ram! hell, we want more than 4 gigs, 2.75???? Waaaaaahhhh!!!

I am sure there is a speed gain in about everything from 3.0 to 3.6! I like snooping about, and have noticed that when windows runs it performance tests, you'll see that up to about 3.0-3.2 windows vista starts to lose its ability to actually test the processor at near 100 % max. All the way up towards 3.8 it uses 75% of each one, 3.2 its at 92% max, and at 3.0 and lower its 95% or more.

Dunno i that means anything. But yes, I even see the difference in crysis from 3.2 on this comp, then 3.8 on the other, and well... it looks alot smoother!

From what I have seen, you have a decent processor, and they have been known to crank the pow-a! Go for 4.0!
And since its pretty easy to reach 3.6... might as well see for yourself, right?

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Awww man, called XFX and they said that nothing will fix it, its the video cards memory addressing that screws it up. They said 64 bit is the only thing that will work, so I may turn this into my 64 bit system if it can access my 32 bit junk on a different raid array. That means it gets my water colling case and g0 and 4 x 2 gig stix of gskill 1066 2.0-2.1 volt ram.

Have to keep ya posted! Oh, I can then use my dual Ultras in SLI. ;) Like now for instance! Gonna try some Crysis!

--Lupi!