JVC 70" D-ILA

I am looking to buy my first HDTV and am considering the JVC 70". I am
willing to spend up to $5000, is this a good choice for the money or
should I be looking at something else? -RP
11 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Randy wrote:
    > I am looking to buy my first HDTV and am considering the JVC 70". I am
    > willing to spend up to $5000, is this a good choice for the money or
    > should I be looking at something else? -RP

    Buy a monitor with NO integrated 8-VSB receiver or buy an HDTV from LG
    with their latest 5th gen receiver integrated. If the JVC 70" is a
    monitor fine. If not don't buy it.

    You will be able to buy a stand alone 5th gen LG based reciever within a
    couple of months at most. Hold out for that if you want OTA reception or
    buy an LG integrated HDTV, simple.

    Bob Miller

    Bob Miller wrote:

    > Randy wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking to buy my first HDTV and am considering the JVC 70". I
    >> am willing to spend up to $5000, is this a good choice for the money
    >> or should I be looking at something else? -RP
    >>
    > Buy a monitor with NO integrated 8-VSB receiver or buy an HDTV from LG
    > with their latest 5th gen receiver integrated. If the JVC 70" is a
    > monitor fine. If not don't buy it.
    >
    > You will be able to buy a stand alone 5th gen LG based reciever within a
    > couple of months at most. Hold out for that if you want OTA reception or
    > buy an LG integrated HDTV, simple.
    >
    > Bob Miller
    How can you tell if a receiver has the new LG chip? -RP

    Randy wrote:

    > Bob Miller wrote:
    >
    >> Randy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am looking to buy my first HDTV and am considering the JVC 70". I
    >>> am willing to spend up to $5000, is this a good choice for the money
    >>> or should I be looking at something else? -RP
    >>>
    >> Buy a monitor with NO integrated 8-VSB receiver or buy an HDTV from LG
    >> with their latest 5th gen receiver integrated. If the JVC 70" is a
    >> monitor fine. If not don't buy it.
    >>
    >> You will be able to buy a stand alone 5th gen LG based reciever within
    >> a couple of months at most. Hold out for that if you want OTA
    >> reception or buy an LG integrated HDTV, simple.
    >>
    >> Bob Miller
    >
    > How can you tell if a receiver has the new LG chip? -RP

    Get it in writing when you buy it. I am talking only of the latest LG
    HDTV sets because I have reason to believe that they not only have the
    LGDT3303 5th gen chip in them but they also have a proper front end.
    This is my assumption based on the post from the dealer on AVSForum.

    Other manufacturers using the LG 5th gen chip may or may not work as
    well. That is because it is not the 5th gen chip alone that makes for a
    good receiver. So the only receivers I would say were OK by my standards
    today are in some, the latest, LG HDTV sets going out to dealers for the
    first time right now.

    I believe however that this STB receiver I am testing now is the same
    quality and it should be on the market in a few months. Tell me you want
    one and I will forward your email to the manufacturer. It is in my
    interest to get them into production.

    Send an email to bob@viacel.com. This is not an order I am asking for
    just an email showing interest and level of interest.

    Bob Miller

    "Randy" <randy@bajaspanospam.com> wrote in message

    > Bob Miller wrote:
    >
    >> Randy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am looking to buy my first HDTV and am considering the JVC 70". I am
    >>> willing to spend up to $5000, is this a good choice for the money or
    >>> should I be looking at something else? -RP
    >>>
    >> Buy a monitor with NO integrated 8-VSB receiver or buy an HDTV from LG
    >> with their latest 5th gen receiver integrated. If the JVC 70" is a
    >> monitor fine. If not don't buy it.
    >>
    >> You will be able to buy a stand alone 5th gen LG based reciever within a
    >> couple of months at most. Hold out for that if you want OTA reception or
    >> buy an LG integrated HDTV, simple.
    >>
    >> Bob Miller
    > How can you tell if a receiver has the new LG chip? -RP

    You can still get a stand alone receiver if the intergrated one is not
    getting
    the job done. I would think that if the price difference is not great it's
    not
    that big an issue.

    A bigger issue would be an HDMI input. It's my understanding that any new
    DVD for HD (both Blue Ray and HD-DVD) will require HDMI. I hope this is
    not true but could be an issue.

    "Mudd Bug" <muddbug@cox.net> wrote in message

    > "Randy" <randy@bajaspanospam.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Bob Miller wrote:

    > >> Buy a monitor with NO integrated 8-VSB receiver or buy an HDTV from LG
    > >> with their latest 5th gen receiver integrated. If the JVC 70" is a
    > >> monitor fine. If not don't buy it.
    > >>
    > >> You will be able to buy a stand alone 5th gen LG based reciever within
    > >> couple of months at most. Hold out for that if you want OTA reception
    or
    > >> buy an LG integrated HDTV, simple.
    > >>
    > >> Bob Miller
    > > How can you tell if a receiver has the new LG chip? -RP
    >
    > You can still get a stand alone receiver if the intergrated one is not
    > getting
    > the job done. I would think that if the price difference is not great it's
    > not
    > that big an issue.
    >
    > A bigger issue would be an HDMI input. It's my understanding that any new
    > DVD for HD (both Blue Ray and HD-DVD) will require HDMI. I hope this is
    > not true but could be an issue.

    Most higher end sets should have HDMI inputs these days, but it is a good
    idea to check.

    Every JVC D-ILA set that I have seen has actually been rather disappointing.
    I would look carefully at the competing products before buying it.

    Leonard

    "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message

    > "Mudd Bug" <muddbug@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Randy" <randy@bajaspanospam.com> wrote in message

    > am

    > or

    >> > How can you tell if a receiver has the new LG chip? -RP
    >>
    >> You can still get a stand alone receiver if the intergrated one is not
    >> getting
    >> the job done. I would think that if the price difference is not great
    >> it's
    >> not
    >> that big an issue.
    >>
    >> A bigger issue would be an HDMI input. It's my understanding that any new
    >> DVD for HD (both Blue Ray and HD-DVD) will require HDMI. I hope this is
    >> not true but could be an issue.
    >
    > Most higher end sets should have HDMI inputs these days, but it is a good
    > idea to check.
    >
    > Every JVC D-ILA set that I have seen has actually been rather
    > disappointing.
    > I would look carefully at the competing products before buying it.

    You evidently have not seen the DLA-HD2K :)

    "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mudd Bug" <muddbug@cox.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Randy" <randy@bajaspanospam.com> wrote in message

    > > am

    LG

    > > or

    > >> You can still get a stand alone receiver if the intergrated one is not
    > >> getting
    > >> the job done. I would think that if the price difference is not great
    > >> it's
    > >> not
    > >> that big an issue.
    > >>
    > >> A bigger issue would be an HDMI input. It's my understanding that any
    new
    > >> DVD for HD (both Blue Ray and HD-DVD) will require HDMI. I hope this is
    > >> not true but could be an issue.
    > >
    > > Most higher end sets should have HDMI inputs these days, but it is a
    good
    > > idea to check.
    > >
    > > Every JVC D-ILA set that I have seen has actually been rather
    > > disappointing.
    > > I would look carefully at the competing products before buying it.
    >
    > You evidently have not seen the DLA-HD2K :)

    No, I have not, but considering the raves that people have made over the
    other products that I have seen and their actual performance compared to the
    competing products, I am skeptical. But if you like it, buy it. Just
    remember, it is a JVC. Check out the service options before you buy.

    Leonard

    In article <tf6ee.5464$HL2.1873@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    Bob Miller <robmx@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > Randy wrote:
    > > I am looking to buy my first HDTV and am considering the JVC 70". I am
    > > willing to spend up to $5000, is this a good choice for the money or
    > > should I be looking at something else? -RP

    Good Choice.

    > Buy a monitor with NO integrated 8-VSB receiver or buy an HDTV from LG
    > with their latest 5th gen receiver integrated. If the JVC 70" is a
    > monitor fine. If not don't buy it.
    >
    > You will be able to buy a stand alone 5th gen LG based reciever within a
    > couple of months at most. Hold out for that if you want OTA reception or
    > buy an LG integrated HDTV, simple.
    >
    > Bob Miller

    Where did you get this info??

    LG has stated they will not make a new set top with new chips in the
    near future. They only plan to put these chips integrated in new TVs.

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 06:56:14 -0400, "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com>
    wrote:

    >Every JVC D-ILA set that I have seen has actually been rather disappointing.
    >I would look carefully at the competing products before buying it.

    Care to elaborate? Where did you see it? What was wrong?

    Personally I believe the D-ILA has the second best picture of all
    digital rear projection HDTVs, just behind the HD2+ DLPs.

    I chose D-ILA over Samsung because (1) it was much cheaper; (2) there
    are no rainbows. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I love this TV.

    Bob Miller <robmx@earthlink.net> wrote in

    > Buy a monitor with NO integrated 8-VSB receiver or buy an HDTV from LG
    > with their latest 5th gen receiver integrated. If the JVC 70" is a
    > monitor fine. If not don't buy it.

    I disagree. First and foremost, you should buy an HDTV based on picture
    quality and how it will perform in your viewing environment. The tuner
    is secondary or tertiary. If you can afford a 70" set, you can probably
    afford satellite/cable, or a separate OTA tuner if the built-in one
    doesn't do the job.

    On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:27:46 GMT, darius <noone@here.invalid> wrote:

    >Bob Miller <robmx@earthlink.net> wrote in
    >
    >> Buy a monitor with NO integrated 8-VSB receiver or buy an HDTV from LG
    >> with their latest 5th gen receiver integrated. If the JVC 70" is a
    >> monitor fine. If not don't buy it.
    >
    >I disagree. First and foremost, you should buy an HDTV based on picture
    >quality and how it will perform in your viewing environment. The tuner
    >is secondary or tertiary. If you can afford a 70" set, you can probably
    >afford satellite/cable, or a separate OTA tuner if the built-in one
    >doesn't do the job.

    Couldn't agree more. Right now, cable or sattelite is the only place
    to get a good variety of HDTV. The same will be true for many years to
    come; you'll just never be able to get much more than the local
    channels via OTA.

    If and when cable/sat companies offer true cablecard service, you'll
    probably want a dedicated DVR like HD TiVo anyway, and that will have
    its own tuner.

    In the worst case, if you really need an OTA tuner a few years from
    now, it won't cost more than a couple hundred dollars; a small
    percentage of the cost of the TV you are buying now and enjoying for
    years.

HDTV JVC TV Home Theatre