Lapping a cpu and heatsink stages

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
this is my first time trying to lap a cpu or a cooler.could please someone give some advice and warning to special care on certain stages of lapping.also if i cant find a piece of glass what can i use instead?Do i rub the cpu/heatsink on the sandpaper or sandpaper on cpu/cooler?

Thanks in advance!!!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
You want anything totally straight and level, thats why they go with a glass pane. Semi-permanently attach a strip of sand paper graded for the proper stage, IE, coarse stuff to start, ending in a higher grade paper to get a nice mirror finish! You grip the corners of the processor and drag it one direction along the paper. Some people us some sort of fluid on the sand paper to make it glide smooth, spit will work, lol! But you just drag it over the sand paper in one direction, keeping in mind that you always wanna drag it LEVEL! So pick it straight up, move it to the end, set it straight down, apply pressure so it doesnt slip, and drag it slowly down the paper, then do that over and over! When the grain seems like its not removing mutch, you have to wipe it, and after a few mins, swap to a higher grain, 300, 450, 600 and 800 will work! So 4 stages. It gets all nice and shiny! Why didnt intel do that?

I dont know what everyone else would say, but the processor is not that fragile, hehe. You can damage it with something stupid like static, duh, but it doesnt seem to mind a little punishment. Me and my intel quads have been through alot! I have lapped my three quads, I have a phenom too, and 2 arctic squares. (Didnt lap the sphere cooler I have on the AMD quad, but only because I pretty much welded the sink to the processor on that frigging board! Had to make my own attachment!)

But, trading your warranty for a cooler proc will have to be weighed by you alone. Personally, I just read up on it, and said what the hell, I do everything else anyways, why not that too. I am careful, and I have a grasp of the whole idea... If you dont get it, stay away from that poor processor, it didnt do anything to you!!

--Lupi:bounce:

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Oopsie, stages?? Uhh... remove the heat sink from processor! Wiggle a lil bit, never pull it up, just work it apart.
Clean both surfaces. The smoother the better, even to start. (I used alcohol pads. Dont drip the alcohol on it, I did have to squeeze alot of the moisture off the pad.)
Tape or secure the lower grade paper to something as level as possible, since thats the whole purpose. Glass is the best, easy to get, and flat as can be, a level work bench or table can work in a pinch.
I did the processor first, but it doesnt matter. Just be sure to pick it straight up, bring it back to the begining of the sand paper and place it straight down, or you'll round the edges. You can use a "lube" of some sort. I used a lil water. Maybe 5 mins on each grain, going one direction.
Change grain until all nice and shiny! You'll see.
I had to wipe the processor and paper several times before using a new paper because of copper grains all over it!
One yer done, take a pic! Clean it again, check out the handy work!
As far as applying heat transference goo... call me parinoid, but I took a razor blade and lined the edge with arctic silver, and pressed a thin tic-tac-toe board looking amount on the processor. (Dont put it on the heat sink too, just one surface.) Then I put a dot in the middle of the tic tac toe board! # with a . in the middle! Then toss it in, let the heatsink hop on top of it, give a lil wiggle, and they stick like doggies! (And they may need some help getting apart if you ever need to remove it again, hehe.)

Thats kind of stages?? And you know why they call me Lupi!

--Lupi!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Certain sets of calculations stress the processor more than others, even at 100% load. There is one set that prime 95 does that is consistently 5c hotter than the other 20 parts of the test! I hate watching for it though, hehe, its so long a test!!

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I have had the cores from 88c on down. VCore up to 1.81250, so ya never know what the heck is gonna happen! The G0 appears much better at OCing than the b3s. I have my g0 on a lapped arctic square at 3.61 easily. I am currently on my b3 at 3.2 with the Same voltage as my g0 at 3.61. The cores are hotter! Everything is worse on it. Shoulda seen it at 3.6, hehe. It was stable, but breathing fire at me, so I got scared and backed it down to just smoldering.

--Lupi!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I am sure you can, but the temp reduction lets you OC it that much farther. For 5 bucks in sand paper and an hours worth of time. Its pretty simple, and if you are gonna do one, might as well do em both too! I have lapped my CPU water block on top of the other sinks and processors.
Just seeing how far that G0 can go. Looks like an every day speed of 3737 appears the most stable. I have had it at 3.825 on air, but it was way hot, and testing for extended periods would have melted it. ;) Got over 92c in a few mins at that voltage.
You'll see when you lap the things, you can watch how the nickel comes off, and you'll be able to see just how not flat it really was!!

--Lupi!

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i have a unlapped AC freezer 7 pro and Q6600.just now try run it at 3.375Ghz@9x375+1.4125V the temp is 83C!!!whats wrong?or thats the limit of the cooler?Or the thermal compound havent burn-in yet?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
That sounds about right, lol. Whats the VID of your processor? Core Temp lists it pretty accurately. Just think... all nice and lapped and it wouldnt have reached 80 c. Lots o things can effect the temps, to much thermal compound, Not seated right, either the processor or the cooler may not be level. Ya never know, but at 3.6 my heat wasnt as bad as yours! I feel special now!

--Lupi

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
><damm!!!I will try lap the heatsink 1st since it doesnt cost much to get a new 1.But jus stressed for over 11Hours 3.2G 1.35V 74C CPU temp its all stable.memtest with over 700% that means stable too?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I have a couple thermal take water blocks for the processors, I think I will lap one down and toss it on my b3, in the loop with the ultra... dunno what it will do. And I put the g0 on water.
You never mentioned the NORMAL FACTORY rated VID. Look in Core Temp. It doesnt change there. Thats just what intel decided yer VID should be, for whatever reason!
And if yer careful, there is no real danger to your CPU, No pins to bend, etc. So just be sure to pick it straight up, move it down, set it down, drag it one direction, over and over again, I even used a lil water!
My VID of my g0 is 1.2625, and my B3 is 1.3125.

--Lupi!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
LOL, mine ties yours at the 3rd most common VIDs on G0 processors. Its 1.2625. So yes, that accounts for some of yer heat, yer just 1 voltage notch in the bios under my B# that I am on, and she is a flamer!

--Lupi!