Big Problem with Motherboard

Hi all,

After tweaking the voltages on my proc and memory (very minor, 1 increment), my mobo failed to do anything on start up. I didn't even get the gigabyte splash screen with the option to enter bios. My board did not come with a cmos jumper so I used a headphone plug to make the connection. When I booted up I got a CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded, with the option of F1 to continue and Del to enter setup.

The problem is neither one works. I press the buttons and nothing happens. Its not the keyboard (I'm typing with it now on a different machine). The common solution is change the battery which I intend to do tomorrow. Despite the battery problem (if that is the problem) I can't find a solution to the lack of response of the system when I press the buttons. I have tried multiple working keyboards.

Any Ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about problem motherboard
  1. Literally turn the PSU off, and unplug the power from the PSU.
    Then short the CMOS jumper closed again as you did before, for a few seconds. Worth a shot. As you've tried multiple keyboards, I won't suggest checking the connection. Did you make any other changes that a CMOS clear would not revert?
  2. I did have the psu switched off and unplugged. I even tried taking the battery out for a couple minutes. Still the same problem. I'm going to Radio Shack today to get a new battery. I'll report back tonight. If anyone else has experience with this I would love to hear about it.
  3. Are you using USB keyboards?
    If so try a standard keyboard.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards