Sign in with
Your question

help with OCing E2160 please

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 26, 2008 8:07:25 AM

ok... so this is crappy... i tried OCing my 2160...

jumped in straight to 333 thinking, sure, i'll stress test her for the night, achieve 16 hours of Orthos... No windows entry

Up Vcore once. No windows entry.

Up Vcore to 1.35, it gets to windows but BSODS and reboots... so here i cap out and not wanting to overvolt without knowing what i'm doing, i try a different tack.

set the FSB so the speed will be 2.7GHZ and 1.35V. No windows entry

finally, i give up, and havin gotten an OC failed 3 times message, i reenter the BIOS and set the FSB to 266 :( , aand run Orthos for 3 hours for a stability check...

so now she's running at stock VCore with ram at DDR-800 and 5-5-5-15-xxxxx timings... 2.4GHZ...

the funny thing is i re-ran CoD4 yesterday to check a boost in frame rates... didnt really notice anything... and then i ran 3dmark06... and i got a different score to my older one obviously... but this one is lower... from 7615 she dropped to 68??.

funny, hey? so i go into the windows experience index and update it, and wahey, i now have 5.3...

now i know she's pretty stable atm... retried another Orthos test and she passed 4 hours without issue... so i dont think i will encounter problems here... but i want more... I want the magical 3+ghz that people get...

Could she be a lemon???

More about : ocing e2160

February 26, 2008 8:28:49 AM

It sounds to me like something is up with the motherboard, memory or OS.

I know thats rather broad, but it's hard to narrow things down. The memory might not like the timings or the voltage, the board may be defective, etc etc
February 26, 2008 8:30:58 AM

Hi

I have the same board and CPU as you. I'm useing Geil Blackdragon 800Mhz Memory. I've had to set the vcore to 1.4 to get it stable at 3Ghz. My memory voltage is set to 2.00v. I also updated the BIOS to the latest version (1.7 I think) From what I have read on the forums, it seems the ASUS P5K motherboard would have been the better option, and would have made it easier to overclock. My thermals are 28 idle and 62 at full load. I'm using the Scythe Mugen cooler with two fans. The only other changes I made in the Cell BIOS was to turn the EIST off, and also spead spectrum off. Hope this helps
Related resources
February 26, 2008 8:42:05 AM

SEXY!!! thanks peoples :) . what memory timing are you using??? or better yet would you mind takign a few BIOS screenies???

i'm beginnign to think i ought to have gone fore the gigabyte DS3L
February 26, 2008 9:29:45 AM

Hi

I'll post a full Cell setting post from my PC when I get home tonight!
February 26, 2008 10:11:57 AM

great! thanks :) . i tried using your settings and it refused to enter Windows...
February 26, 2008 1:54:36 PM

If you want 3Ghz out of the E2160 I believe your going to have to apply more then 1.35V to the core. You have to also include the voltage drop when in windows and then again when under load. Don't be afraid, in reality in general on the average you can set your Vcore in your bios a little above 1.5V max and still be in a safe voltage range(In my particular case I could go all the way to 1.535V in BIOS and be just borderline safe). But to give you a headstart, I would say cut to the chase and start at 1.4125V for your core. You might even need more or less since all chips are different. For a safe bet on stable memory an average of 5-5-5-15 is used with auto or default voltage on the RAM. Also don't forget to lock your pci-e to 100mhz if allowed. And try to get the speed on the memory as close to as it's rated for e.g. if it says 800Mhz get the memory speed to 800mhz by manipulating your memory multiplier.
February 26, 2008 2:15:05 PM

thank you very much! i'll try that now... while overvolting it, will that not damage it pretty quickly??? i run my pc pretty intensely...

one thing's for sure, if it doesn't work at 1.475, i am not goign to go any higher...

just i've heard a lot of stories about E2160s hitting that on stock, so it's not so cool to know that mine's having a few issues...
February 26, 2008 3:27:09 PM

Hi

Ok here is the BIS setting I have for 3Ghz (well 2997) My BIOS version is 1.7

DOT Control - Disabled
Intel EIST - Disabled
Adjust CPU FSb Freq - 333
Adjust CPU Ratio - 9
Adjust CPU Freq - 2997

FSB / Memory Ratio - Auto (This sets it at 800Mhz and timing to 5-5-5-18)

CPU Voltage - 1.40
Memory Voltage - 2.0
VTT FSB - 1.2
NB Voltage - 1.45
SB I/O Voltage - 1.8
SB Core Power - 1.15

Spread Spectrum - Disabled

I'm really not that sure about the quality of the MSI board for overclocking like I said before. I'm gona try an ABIT IP35-E at some point and I'll let you know how I get on!

Good Luck
February 26, 2008 4:10:46 PM

At this point you don't know much about your chip. Just taking a swing at 3GHz because others have gotten it is not a solid overclocking strategy. Climb up slow in speed and see where your stock voltage gets you to. Then follow over-volt guidelines to go further. Getting to 3GHz with my 2160 was fairly painless, but did require some tweaks to get there. Also, make sure your memory is timed according to mfg settings and is getting enough power. I think you should be able to get over 3GHz without messing with the other board voltages.
February 26, 2008 4:22:18 PM

amd_fanboi said:
thank you very much! i'll try that now... while overvolting it, will that not damage it pretty quickly??? i run my pc pretty intensely...

one thing's for sure, if it doesn't work at 1.475, i am not goign to go any higher...

just i've heard a lot of stories about E2160s hitting that on stock, so it's not so cool to know that mine's having a few issues...

Heh, if it's a lemon, it's a lemon. I've read setups with people using E2160's that needed just below 1.5V to get 3Ghz, some people can get 3.2Ghz at 1.3xx, it's all the pick of the draw. Don't be afraid to step up the voltage to 1.5V if you have the proper cooling. If your using stock cooling I wouldn't really play with the voltages.
February 26, 2008 7:31:37 PM

Thanks for all the help guys... i think i agree with you, dsb... she wasn't stable at vkh's cell settings (i used those, by the way with the exception of enabling SpeedStep...)

ok... so i was running Orthos at 333x9, Small FFTs, and when i came back after just 5 hours, I find my PC has rebooted... i don't know what happened... here's the log file...

the last entry is the one you need to look at...

i tried 3dmark06, and it crashed, but the second loop of a three way loop of the Crysis Demo at 1680x1050 with all settings high and no AA caused an error...

so now i'm back to a safe 2.4, with the Vcore at default and everything at auto, except PCIe which is locked at 100... it's under an arctic cooling freezer 7 pro...

Max temp was 52 degrees C

she was so close :( . any ideas on what to do now???
February 26, 2008 8:34:40 PM

Bring the multiplier down by one, then run Prime95 or Orthos blend test for 8hours.
February 26, 2008 9:57:21 PM

so 8x375? what memory timing do i use for that???
February 26, 2008 10:09:24 PM

amd_fanboi said:
so 8x375? what memory timing do i use for that???

5-5-5-15, 1.9V, 1:1 ratio. If it fails, tweak it around again.
February 26, 2008 10:22:41 PM

kay... i hope it works :) ...
February 27, 2008 12:25:21 AM

I get both my e210 M0 stepping on Abit ip35-e motherboards to 333x9 with only one bump in vcore period. 1.325 to 1.345. I take off the speedstep and the other thing i forget on the cpu leaving the thermal throttling on and the other default one on.

I have done both of these on stock cooling and on better heatsinks and it works fine just a little high temps on stock hsf. I was told dont go over 65 on temps but with a confusing tjmax debate of 100 or 85 I did run one prime stable at 77 degrees!!

The only thing is to get from 3.0 to 3.2 I have to up voltage to 4.445 and to get 3.4 i have to go to 1.525 havent tried on teh second board yet its my dads.
February 27, 2008 1:19:28 AM

Evil, she refused to enter windows :( 
February 27, 2008 1:27:19 AM

Even with different ram voltage? Worst comes to worst, set ALL voltages to auto, even the timings to auto. Then try it out. If it doesn't work, it seems you have a lemon OCer.
February 27, 2008 10:17:36 AM

i'll try that :(  How does 2.7ghz sound???
February 27, 2008 11:52:43 AM

Hi

You should really get 2.7Ghz from it! You'd have to be really unlucky not to get even that!
I got an Abit IP35-E yesterday, The MSI board had really not given me confidence at all, I maybe just unlucky, but when I saw your post as well, and compaired what other people have gotten, (Lower heat, less voltage, slightly high clock speeds) I decided to give it a go.
I'm going to post the results later tonight provideing my Prime95 testing goes without a hitch!
February 27, 2008 12:08:05 PM

what settings did you manage to boot @ 2.7 with?
February 27, 2008 5:12:09 PM

amd_fanboi said:
what settings did you manage to boot @ 2.7 with?

Unfortunately I have the E2180, but I have heard the E2160 OC's better but you can try this anyways. I was able to achieve 2.75Ghz without even changing the default Vcore. You could set your multi to x9 and FSb to 305. If you want you can set you memory multi to 2/2.4/2.5 which all will be under 800Mhz, but that's alright.
February 27, 2008 5:15:44 PM

2.75... hmmm... thanks... i'll try that tonight... what mobo are you running???

and will there be a difference between 2.75 and 3 ghz benchmark wise?
February 27, 2008 10:12:51 PM

some prick of a wonderchip this is... max i can get is 2.4 ghyz... either i wasted a load of my time or this is a lemon, but nothing higher than this (haven't tried in the 2.5/2.6 ranges) works at anywhere near stock volts...

as it stands, i hate this chip... 600mhz??? screw that...
February 28, 2008 7:52:44 AM

Hi

Like I posted the other day, I've now moved over to the Abit IP35-E motherboard. I'm a lot happier already and I've not even started to really push it. I manged to run straight off at 335x9 (3015Mhz) at 1.365v. I had to set the MSI to 1.4v, and then I was maxed-out at 333x9 (2997Mhz) Running the chip at 1.365v has also reduced the top end thermal under Prima95 to 58 from 62.

Now I know this isn't a major improvment on performace over what I was getting, and its going to take me most of the weekend to try and test the higher settings, but I think it shows that the only thing I have changed, the motherboard from MSI, just isn't that good!

That's not to say your CPU isn't a Lemon, but if you know someone who'll test it for you on another board, its gota be worth a try. Don't give up!
February 28, 2008 8:15:15 AM

i don't want to give up, but then i've thrown so much time into this and it's just not working, so i'm starting to feel disheartened... yesterday night i tried changing the jumpers to 333 (http://www.futron.sg/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312) and the thing wouldn't go into windows... i think it might be power hungry somewhere between 2.4 and 2.7 but i'm afraid to pass the red line of voltage on my board which is 1.4... cos if anythign DOES happen to this chip, it won't be so easy to replace it...
February 28, 2008 2:21:05 PM

amd_fanboi said:
2.75... hmmm... thanks... i'll try that tonight... what mobo are you running???

and will there be a difference between 2.75 and 3 ghz benchmark wise?

Gigabyte P35-DS3L, 3DMark06 wise you'll will see a number difference, in real world there is in reality only a slight difference, but what I could do for you is bring up my old records when I did some testing with the differences. I'll even see if I can get it @ 2.4Ghz and see if I can measure the percentage difference between that and 2.75Ghz and 3Ghz.
February 28, 2008 6:41:58 PM

hey as you know i have the same board and chip as you, i have taken my cpu up to near 1.5v to get to 3.3Ghz.i got up to 3Ghz on stock 1.35v. have you tested your maximum ram speed? also i ended up bumping up voltages on the northbridge too. to help you out i applied settings from this review (sorry to post an anandtech link on toms forum sorry) http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3169&p=5
again i can tell you my settings from the bios. also i have a xigmatek huge heatsink are you using stock cooling?
February 28, 2008 10:54:37 PM

thanks for the help, everyone... i think if i'd upped the Vcore from 1.4 i'd have gotten a stable OC... i'll try that... unfortunately my HDD decided to die on me, and so i've had to borrow one from a friend... man... this system seems to really have a mind of it's own :p .

is a 1.4125 Vcore / 1.425 Vcore going to kill my chip quick quick???

and Bildo, considering i'm running her @ 2.4 most of the time, i'd love to see how well she would do with the extra ghz... and whether it's worth my time...

and i seem to have to run it at 5-5-5-15 ram... what precisely will happen if i change to 4-4-4-12???
February 28, 2008 11:00:12 PM

1.4125V is within Intel standards, it should last 3years.
February 29, 2008 10:20:54 AM

cool ^^. i'll try a run tonight...
February 29, 2008 2:20:21 PM

Evilonigiri said:
1.4125V is within Intel standards, it should last 3years.

Funny thing is that is exactly my BIOS setting for my E2180 @ 3Ghz clock. The actual voltage is around 1.3825 Idle and 1.3525 under load. @ AMD fanboi I'm really tied up with these tests/reports coming up but I'll have some results posted sometime Saturday afternoon. Should be interesting. Im curious myself...I do believe I have some old records of me testing the difference between 2.75 and 3, I'll even do my own little portal testing method to see if there is the real world gain, 3DMark can blow things out of proportion.
March 1, 2008 10:25:15 AM

she's finally there!!! 3 GHZ stable at 1.425 V and temps at 55, idling at 27...

thanks so much to everyone who helped out :) .
March 3, 2008 3:13:14 PM

Hey I noticed your power saving option worth WITH the overclock...I'm jealous, for some reason when I turn the speedstep on all I get is the multi going down, but I don't have my voltage auto adjusting either. It only did that when I ran the voltage on 'normal' I believe. What settings do you have on in advanced bios options?
March 3, 2008 10:31:34 PM

lol... ummm, a lot :p . would you care to specify which ones???

as far as i can remember, C1E and Speedstep are both on... i decided to leave them on as i don't like the idea of running her at full pelt all the time...

and i had no idea about the voltage dropping twice... I know it drops inbetween BIOS and windows, as for CPUZ, i just ignored the figure...
March 9, 2008 4:33:31 AM

Hi amd_fanboi:

My month-old system is very similar to yours. I am at 3.2 GHz stable now, but had to overcome some hurdles with the Neo2 and my RAM.

1) One quirk about the board: set your PCI speed from "autodetect" to 4x (this is your secondary PCIe slot). This will reduce the double/triple/quad booting, but also seemed to give me better luck as I tried new bios settings.
2) Another quirk: those manual FSB jumpers on the board had to stay at 200 for me. 266 and 333 were unstable outright. Their mere existence confuse the hell out of me.
3) I believe my vRAM is at 2.0 currently. My RAM was always unstable at anything other than 1:1. Not a problem because...
4) I am at 400 x 8 = 3200.
5) I had similar overall voltages to the post way above, except my VCore ended up as 1.385. I started at around 1.42, and have been gradually reducing it. 1.36 didn't work, and it seems to be most stable at 1.385.
6) With my AC Freezer 7 Pro, the cores idle at 25-26, normal load at 28-30, and Crysis load at 38-40.
7) A fresh reinstall of Windows helped also (i.e., reformat, as big of a pain in the arse as that is).

This link really helped me quite a bit: http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/243437-stable-e1000...

If you are a gamer, you really need to get that chip up over 3.00. I read in a review somewhere that the biggest performance gains with that chip are at between 3 and 3.33. I am tempted to keep pushing, but I am really happy with what I am getting out of it now and not willing to further tempt fate--since it FLIES as is. Specifically, I do not want any retribution from the AMD gods, since my switch from an AMD x2 4200 system ended up so smashingly successful!

I hope that helps. Shoot me an email for more specifics if you wish.

Now MY big issue is the inability of my HIS ICEQ3 HD3870 to overclock. (even with that badass ICEQ cooler, its max OC is 5% on GPU, 0.00000% on memory!!!!) But that is another story... :fou: 
!