Sign in with
Your question

Raid o With four terabyte hard drives

Last response: in Storage
July 4, 2008 12:33:27 PM

Hi i was wondering has anyone been able to create raid o with four one terabyte hard drives ?
I bought four segate one terabyte hard drives for my 680sli gigabyte mobo and then when i tryed to create an array my mobo cant add up the numbers i can use two hard drives and get a 1.81 terabyte but thats it. When i try all four then the numbers go all hay wire could any one please advise if im doing any thing wrong or is this not possible oh yeah i had 4 320 gig hard drives working ok in raid o i just got greedy and wanted more space thank you Glenn.

Computer specs
N680SLI-DQ6
6850 INTEL
8 GIG COSAIR C4 6400 CDHX
2 9800GTX GIGABYTE GRAPHICS CARDS
4 I TERABYTE SEAGATE HARD DRIVES HOPFULLY RAID O
July 4, 2008 3:39:36 PM

I'm not positive, but it's likely that the 680sli chipset does not support arrays larger than 2TB.

You will need a separate RAID controller that supports >2TB arrays.
July 4, 2008 4:12:42 PM

glenn_72 said:
Hi i was wondering has anyone been able to create raid o with four one terabyte hard drives ?

This is a common issue when using large HDD's. Most controllers have this limit. Even expensive SAS controllers can't cope with drives over 500GB in either RAID 0 or even RAID 5 setups. My suggestion is not to create a RAID 0 with that much space anyways. A RAID 0 has no data protection at all. If you are looking for speed, then use two smaller drives like WD Raptors for just OS and games. Use the drives you have for data storage only.

Just my 2 cents worth.
!