Closed

HDD External Hard Drive Corrupted and Unreadable, What should I do?

Could anyone give me some advice on repairing or recovering data from a HDD external hard drive. I pulled out the USB while transferring some files into it and now when i plug the usb of the external hard drive into the computer it says its corrupted or unreadable, and i get an option to format it, but i dont wanna lose the data in the hard drive. Also, i cant seem to safely remove the hard drive, it says the drive is in use. what should I do? is there any data recovery or repair program i can get?
10 answers Last reply
More about external hard drive corrupted unreadable
  1. Get Data Back

Used this program often and it works well and is cheap.
    We use it in our shop for most data recovery projects and it works a good deal of the time.
  2. try inserting directly to pc... might be drive still safe... most of the time its the enclosures that are damage first
  3. easy fix.

get testdisk 6.9 win

use testdisk exec file to analyze and replace bad boot file with good back up

hard drive instantly transferred back to normal - no "raw" state or reformatting required

saved 180 gigs of stuff
  4. I have a similar problem. All of the applications went "Not responding" after i clicked a file from my WD portable HD. My computer hung for a long time about 25mins. So I pulled out the USB cable then restarted. When I plugged in the USB cable again, the drive doesn't show up anymore. How do I "force" my computer to read, let alone find, the portable HD?
  5. I have had exactly the same problem as soloflight- WD passport, not responding when trying to open files, computer jams, now doesnt recognise drive. I really hope someone has the answer as this is my final year at university and everything is on there- sore lesson to learn for not backing things up- I really hope theres a way to fix it.
  6. deanmartin said:
    easy fix.

get testdisk 6.9 win

use testdisk exec file to analyze and replace bad boot file with good back up

hard drive instantly transferred back to normal - no "raw" state or reformatting required

saved 180 gigs of stuff

--->

I am having the same issue as the above user, but i downloaded this program and several others and my drive doesnt even appear, and if it does it appears as unreadble...please help i have over 200 GB of stuff mainly music since ima dj
  7. go to command prompt start-run-cmd enter

type chkdsk/r drive path example chkdsk/r d:

press enter
  8. premranger said:
    go to command prompt start-run-cmd enter

press enter

Hi, Thanks so much. This solve the problem with my passport
  9. go to command prompt start-run-cmd enter

press enter

i tried it ... it appears like this ...