HDD External Hard Drive Corrupted and Unreadable, What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

venom190

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Could anyone give me some advice on repairing or recovering data from a HDD external hard drive. I pulled out the USB while transferring some files into it and now when i plug the usb of the external hard drive into the computer it says its corrupted or unreadable, and i get an option to format it, but i dont wanna lose the data in the hard drive. Also, i cant seem to safely remove the hard drive, it says the drive is in use. what should I do? is there any data recovery or repair program i can get?

goonting

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
try inserting directly to pc... might be drive still safe... most of the time its the enclosures that are damage first

deanmartin

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
easy fix.

get testdisk 6.9 win

use testdisk exec file to analyze and replace bad boot file with good back up

hard drive instantly transferred back to normal - no "raw" state or reformatting required

saved 180 gigs of stuff

soloflight

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
I have a similar problem. All of the applications went "Not responding" after i clicked a file from my WD portable HD. My computer hung for a long time about 25mins. So I pulled out the USB cable then restarted. When I plugged in the USB cable again, the drive doesn't show up anymore. How do I "force" my computer to read, let alone find, the portable HD?

ross87

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
I have had exactly the same problem as soloflight- WD passport, not responding when trying to open files, computer jams, now doesnt recognise drive. I really hope someone has the answer as this is my final year at university and everything is on there- sore lesson to learn for not backing things up- I really hope theres a way to fix it.

DJHEAVYHITTA

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009

--->

I am having the same issue as the above user, but i downloaded this program and several others and my drive doesnt even appear, and if it does it appears as unreadble...please help i have over 200 GB of stuff mainly music since ima dj

power2010

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Hi, Thanks so much. This solve the problem with my passport

G

go to command prompt start-run-cmd enter

type chkdsk/r drive path example chkdsk/r d:

press enter

i tried it ... it appears like this ...
C:\Documents and Settings\xhai18>chkdsk/r F:
cannot open volume for direct access.

PLEASE HELP T___T