ide along with raid

rthuey

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
have an asus p5e-ws using 3 sata drives set up in a raid 5 configuration.

trying to connect an additional drive to the ide connection to use as a scratch drive for cs3. can not get the system to recognize this drive.

any suggestions?

rthuey

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
no it is not there. to confirm it was getting power i plugged it in to power while the computer was on(ide cable not connected for this test) and it spins up just fine

can not see it in bios either

same drive in usb external is fine

Strange. I have used IDE and sata together for a while(with and without raid) without issues.

That board is running a 3rd party controller(looks marvel based) for 4 sata ports and the 1 ide port. Are the driver for that device installed? Is your raid running on the same controller or are you on the intel controller?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You probably need to change a setting in BIOS. I don't know what it is for that mobo.

In the Asus P5N32-ESLIPlus manual it's "Extended IDE drive", but it is set correctly to auto by default.

rthuey

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
nukemaster - marvel is disabled (2 ports) intel is being used (6 ports). from what i can tell the marvel is a second or secondary raid controller where as the intel is meant to be the primary one.

Zorg - the thought crossed my mind. nothing popped out when i went through it (bios) looking for a switch to flip.

Intel has abandoned IDE so the marvel controller should be controlling the IDE as well(Dont quote me on it). try to enable it and see if it works.

From asus RED by me

Southbridge(Intel)
6 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports
Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10
Ext PATA and SATA controller(Marvell 88E6145)
2 xExternal SATA 150/300 (RAID 0,1,10,5)Checkout the back, there are 2 E-SATA ports too
2 xSATA 150/300 (RAID 0,1,10,5)
1 x ATA

rthuey

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
was comparing your manual to mine and see in yours where you get the extended option not seeing that on mine.

but going off of what you just said, looked in my manual for marvel and came up with

Intel® ICH9R Southbridge
- 6 x Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s ports with RAID 0, 1, 10, and 5
configuration
- Intel® Matrix Storage Technology
Marvell® 88SE6145 SATA/PATA controller
- 1 x UltraDMA 133/100 for up to 2 PATA devices
- 2 x Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s ports and 2 x External SATA
3.0 Gb/s ports with RAID 0, 1, 10, and 5 configuration

i do believe your right sir. and i had shut down the marvel so i wouldn't have to see it on the boot. will enable and see what happens.

left town for the weekend will update monday, or late sunday more likely

TRENDING THREADS