intel in 50 years

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Hello

I have a paper to write about new technologies in 50 years. I happen to choose INTEL.

I am collecting facts on INTEL. I am going to tap into your guys' knowledge. When you have time, can you give me some idea on the following areas.

Where will INTEL be in 50 years from now?

How new microprocessors will shape our lives in 50 years?

What effects can these new and improved cpu impact on our lives?

What directions is INTEL heading towards in terms of innovation and technology?

Can you describe how intel fit in the future?

I would really appreciate your guys' inputs. I am gathering info from intel website but i do not have much information on the above areas. If you know informative websites, please share with me.

Thank you.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Good luck on this one, it's impossible to say anything definitively about technology 50 years from now. About the only sure thing is everything will be based on nano technology, will be miniaturized, and more powerful than we anything we can imagine today. Beyond that enter an altered state of consciousness and let your imagination go :sol:

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
50 years is too far out for any prediction. I'm sure everything (MC, GPU, etc) will be assimillated into one location, but I doubt it'll be a CPU as we know it today.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

Thank you very much for all of your responses.

I am going to include nano technology, graphical roles in microprocessors, power consumption, performance in the paper. Can you guys imagine how these would affect the way we work and live?

Any other topics you guys want to add in. I know there are a lot of people with computer skills and knowledge on this forum. I would like to seek your advice.I really appreciate all of your inputs.

Thanks.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Nobody knows for sure where/what Intel will be in the next 5 MONTHS, much less the next 5 YEARS, and you want us to predict 50 (FIFTY) years in advance?

Ok. I will give it a try.

Oh Hades, I don't have a clue.

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Lets see... Computers powered by Intel (100x more powerfull than today) will be the size of iPod. HDD will be based on holographic storage (maybe Intel will have part of this business ;) ) LCD screens will be long gone and will be replaced by 3D life-size virtual view, which can be implemented in glasses, etc. Computers will be manipulated by mind ofc :p

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

I think the computer will be HUGE. Of course the simple computer will function as the HVAC, Washing Maching and combined Refrigerator and food cooking unit of the household. Maybe, if I am lucky to live that long, the computer will also be a hottie blonde with really big knockers that fulfills my every desire.

On the serious side of things, there is a demand and most likely a pathway for the home computer to become the central operating system of the home. We already see that idea in preprogrammable coffee machines and clock radios as well as diagnotic systems on the automobile. Somewhere in the future we will have a Star Trek type computer that knows and predicts information as well as operates everything around us.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
so if i participate in this market research I expect some sort of consideration... because I'm not going to be part of a market test without being paid.

but a simple several billion dollar idea that cannot be manipulated by current means is to turn a cpu into a sphere or half sphere... everything is same distance from same part, and then layer your other parts like those egg people that fit inside one another... so everything is really close and has a lot of surface area without taking up as much physical space... but you know, that's just one idea that would work if implemented properly.

perzy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
In 2057 the PC will be banned by the Mullahs that rule the world. They will declare it ant-islam and only for them selfs to use...

perzy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Oh, just kidding :p :non:

I imagine several heat-targeting inventions. Prrobably the whole thing is housed in some heatabsorbing liquid or gel.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Computers will be embedded in human and animal bodies to control vital functions as well as cognitive functions. During sexual intercourse women will embed chips that will allow them to control in ways they only dream of today.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
in 50 years the architecture of the processors we now know will be like caveman tools. So vastly different will everything be, i am afraid we will rely far too heavily on computers. in 50 years i think we will have incredibly small computers, and there may no longer be desktop computers just small ones you can take around with you and if you want a bigger monitor then you can use the cardboard thin one on your wall... etc

anyways massive changes assuming we get that far... global warming, war, asteroids, natural disasters... could pose a problem. Or perhaps the apocalypse...

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Consider where the industry is moving and remember intel likes to stick it's nose in evreything. It's getting into discrete graphics soon.

Moore's Law maxes at what... like 22 nm? There are a lot of people out there predicting where it is going. As an example the way the industry is moving by 2030 it is predicted that for $1000 you will be able to have a computer capable of the same number of calculations as the human brain (10 PETA Flops or something like that) on a desktop computer. By 2040 you would be able to get that same performance for $1.

Make it up, and put Intel in there somewhere, they do everything.

hacker91

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
In 50 years Intel will have perfected the analog computer that rivals the speed of the human brain. Being able to view, identify and process back into its own image for display so that the car its in will be driving you where you want without having to program anything. It will require no "sensors" like todays attempts at using a digital computer for AI in the prototype automated driving cars. with Intels current laser on silicon chips there will be no wiring either it will all be pathways of light beams for total control.

Yeah thats where Intel will be in 50 years.. Unless AMD does go belly up.. Then Intel will be finally releasing nehalem cause by then penryn will finally be outdated.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Indeed. IIRC Bill Gates said he only sees about 5 years out.
Where will _____________ (fill in blank) be in 50 years from now?
Utterly unknowable.

drumr1829

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
computers will be everywhere and can be everywhere because of the constant decrease in size. They will control the motion of cars (hopefully like i-robot so no more worrying about traffic in the morning), refrigerators (some already are), phones, vacuum cleaners and hair dryers. You'll be able to talk to your house and it will respond (i.e. shut off lights in basement and thermostat at 70 deg)....

I think the bigger factor you should take into account is security. With everything going towards computers and technology theres is even more of a constant threat that it could and will be hacked.

Nanotechnology is awesome and about to take off...I can imagine microscopic nano robots going through your bloodstream and unclogging your veins preventing heart attacks...and be as common as on yearly physical (and paid for by insurance!)....or physically destroying any and all viruses and bacteria with no more need to find a "cure" or create vaccines. There will be no more worry for cancer and AIDS because the nano robot can go and annihalate them....and all these controlled by tiny processors?

Then theres the whole carbon nanotubes they're trying to create right now to make a space elevator to the moon....you could write a whole book about that.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It won't go to the moon, just orbit.

Well conversely with the oil reserves drying up ... cheap power ... the world might just be a smog covered scorched wasteland with a few of us with horses ploughing the fields on a planet slowly overheating.

I spose If we chain the kids to the old generator we might be able to just about power up an old laptop and play a game of minefield.

It could be that end of the spectrum too ... in 50 years ... or worse.

Once the governments who are power rich defeat the countries that are oil rich and fight over the remaining oil ... then the corporations that are technology orientated will finally start seriously tackling the solutions the oil companies that have been actively repressing, namely alternative power sources.

By then it may be too late and our society might be in the twilight ... too power poor to generate and research the technology needed as an alternative to fossil fuels.

Carbon nanotubes won't matter without a power source ... ditto for optical storage. Kiss your spaceships goodbye too.

Power ... that's our number one problem ... tied into environmental sustainability.

That would be my focus on such a paper ... but hey ... I'm just a scholar.

In 50 years INTEL might not exist ... in 2 years AMD probably won't.

I'd have thought Microsoft and Intel would be heavily into alternative power research ... they depend on it.

Bacteriological batteries might not power a 20Ghz 80 core Zeon (Zeus??) CPU with 50 Gb of cache ... LOL.