met_quota

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Yesterday I was playing Call of Duty 2 and my computer exploded. I had a cheap generic PSU, I always suspected PSU couldn’t handle power hungry 1800XT although it met card’s requirements of 500W, in some power demanding games computer was just shutting down, but yesterday something different happened. I heard two explosions inside the case, than smelled something burning. Computer wouldn’t turn on anymore, I went to get a new PSU (Thermaltake), everything seemed fine, logged in to my desktop then there was excruciating long beep and computer froze. I could get to bios screen but couldn’t load windows anymore; then the there was blue screen of death with STOP x0000 error message. Not even sure if that’s the mobo or processor. Everything looks good on the outside, no blown capacitors, mobo fan is spinning, video card seems to be blowing air, how could that be that $20 PSU did so much damage? Don’t even know how I can test part by part. Would be really thankfull for any suggestions.

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Reseat memory, try 1 DIMM at a time, clear CMOS, all that Jazz?
I suppose going down to bare minimum parts (graphics card only), reseat that too, etc. I hope some components of the multi-stage power on the MB (providing it has such a shenanigan) didn't have a boo-boo.
BTW your topic gave me a good laugh; Nazi hand grenade FTL.

Is the aux molex power connected to the graphics card? Try another card? My graphics card makes a horrific noise if I forget to connect that.

einstein4pres

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
how could that be that $20 PSU did so much damage?

Just another statistic... By sending non-spec voltage through your components, you run the risk of ruining them.

You'll want to replace individual components one by one to see what is damaged. Got any spares?

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
You are now entering the world of gremlins and goblins that will wreck havoc on your mind as you chase the ghosts of errant voltage and current spikes. Basically, you don't know what's been damaged until you can test it or have someone else do it for you. IMHO, you should test all the components individually to see which ones are still stable. If you've got a friend with compatable equipment, that will help. Otherwise, a local computer shop might be where you go for help. Just plan on paying for diagnostics but be specific about the results you want. Otherwise you'll get "your computer is broke" replies. Ask for specific tests of the ram, video card, CPU, and mobo to see which components (if any) you can still use.

Good luck - I've been there, it's not fun - unless of course you were planning on building a new system anyway!

Sorry, man I feel your pain.
Start replacing any burnt part. See if you can get beeps with the motherboard out of the case. Add memory, video card. See if you can reload windows. You can test the memory with memtest86+, you can test the hard disks with diagnostics from the manufacturer.
If you have components you can swap from another computer that would be great.

met_quota

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for all the replies. It sounds serious. And I thought replacing psu will do it. Oh well I guess it's time to move on...to Intel, altought X2 3800+ could serve me for few more years. I still hoped for a better future, someday putting in Phenom 3.0Ghz into my AM2, but now it's just lying there on the floor, dead, beeping out last beeps of life. So long my beloved AMD system (August 2006-November 2007)