Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DDR2 800 ( PC2 6400) vs. DDR2 1066 ( PC2 8500).

Last response: in Memory
Share
November 28, 2007 6:07:36 PM

How much better is DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) compared against the slower DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ? Is there THAT MUCH of a NOTICEABLE performance difference? There is obviously a price difference. I am building a system off the GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6 motherboard. Here is what Gigabyte says:

1. 4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory
2. Dual channel memory architecture
3. Support for DDR2 1200/1600/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules

I am going for 8GB total using 2GB sticks. I would buy the DDR2 1066 but it seems everyone on the internet is out of 2GB modules in that speed. There seem to only be at this time, DDR2 800 sticks in 2GBs, which are available.

So I have entered into new egg these parameters, DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) with 1.8V, at 4GB (2 x 2GB) and I get this page with 5 options: Can I be safe choosing any one of these? I need to make a decision today. Here is link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+1052416064+1259916288+1052315794&name=4GB(2+x+2GB)

Also, sorry for the multiple post on this board. But i think this is a new topic about RAM all together.
November 28, 2007 7:28:51 PM

^ agreed, however, Crucial OCZ and Patriot also make some great 800mhz parts that you cant pass up
Related resources
November 28, 2007 9:44:49 PM

Thanks. Looks like im going to have to go with the Muskin, as the Corsair XMS is out of stock, I guess its the more popular option. I am using Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and I dont intend to do any overclocking. This is for Safe and serious work only here.

Also, Voltage. Does it have to be exact? "1.8V" is what the MB says it needs - but will Ram that says "1.8V - 2.2V" or " 1.8V - 2.0V" work the same? -or does it have to be ONLY "1.8V" alone?
November 28, 2007 9:59:19 PM

The 1.8-2.2v is the range it can operate. It will generally default to 1.8, and you can "over volt" it to 2.2 for overclocking purposes. Since you don't plan OC, I would not worry about it.
November 28, 2007 10:16:03 PM

You will not notice much of a diff between 800 and 1066 ram in most apps unless you are doing some serious CPU-memory intensive interface work.

Toms did an interesting article recently that looked at the performance impact of larger and larger CPU L2 cache. As L2 cache grows in size the speed of ram becomes more and more irrelevant.

have said that, my friend is running a Q6600 with 1066 ram and he is absolutely raping me in our Folding@home WU battle. Vs my E6750 with 800 ram his productivity is at least 1.5-2 times greater per core than mine.

keep in mind that 800 ram with low timings (4-4-4-12) might be almost as fast with 1066 with loose timings
November 28, 2007 11:45:46 PM

Uber_sven said:
have said that, my friend is running a Q6600 with 1066 ram and he is absolutely raping me in our Folding@home WU battle. Vs my E6750 with 800 ram his productivity is at least 1.5-2 times greater per core than mine.



Hello? Quad vs Dual? I dont think itll only be the ram dude
November 28, 2007 11:57:54 PM

Which one of these RAM Timings is better? Or is neither better. Are these just arbitrary numbers? Should i even be concerned?

Timing 5-5--5-18 or 5-4-4-12
November 29, 2007 12:56:35 AM

5-4-4-12 is better.
November 29, 2007 2:35:22 AM

chookman said:
Hello? Quad vs Dual? I dont think itll only be the ram dude


dude, :hello:  read my post again - I said PER CORE

November 29, 2007 2:39:41 AM

tlmck said:
5-4-4-12 is better.


but not by much - the CAS timing (the first number) has the biggest impact on memory speed
a b } Memory
November 29, 2007 3:50:53 AM

tlmck said:
Any of these will do. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

Unless you have a 1600mhz FSB CPU, DDR2 800 is fine. When you get 1600 FSB, then 1066 ram would be the overclock choice.


I think you mean DDR2 800 is good upto FSB 1600, as my system is at FSB 1600 (Bus is 400). Memory is Corsair and I'm running 1:1 w/4-4-4-12. CPU is E6400 running at 3.2G (X8).

I am assuming you plan on using a 64 bit operating system. I say this because there was a simular post where the individual was planning on using 8 Gig of ram in a 32 Bit system - Doesn't work too good.

Reference Voltage: I think you will find that the voltage affect the ability to reach the stated timmings. ie at the 1.8 volt level my timings default to 5-5-5-18. To get the advertized 4-4-4-12 the manuf. states 2.2 v is required
November 29, 2007 2:42:17 PM

RetiredChief said:
I think you mean DDR2 800 is good upto FSB 1600, as my system is at FSB 1600 (Bus is 400). Memory is Corsair and I'm running 1:1 w/4-4-4-12. CPU is E6400 running at 3.2G (X8).

I am assuming you plan on using a 64 bit operating system. I say this because there was a simular post where the individual was planning on using 8 Gig of ram in a 32 Bit system - Doesn't work too good.

Reference Voltage: I think you will find that the voltage affect the ability to reach the stated timmings. ie at the 1.8 volt level my timings default to 5-5-5-18. To get the advertized 4-4-4-12 the manuf. states 2.2 v is required

Correct on all counts.
November 29, 2007 7:35:36 PM

Uber_sven said:
dude, :hello:  read my post again - I said PER CORE


Sorry Uber didnt see that part
November 29, 2007 9:40:22 PM

chookman said:
Sorry Uber didnt see that part


no worries mate
!