Compaq Presario R3000 backlight button

uncleben86

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
I have a Compaq Presario R3000. I began having problems with the backlight button. I would have to tap the button several times before the screen would stay lit up. After a while I couldn't get the screen to stay lit at all. After taking an electronics class I am confident I can fix this problem. What I'm trying to figure out is what type of button or switch is it exactly? I'm assuming I won't be able to find a schematic on the internet otherwise that would make this way easier. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shekka

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
uncleben86 - Have you had any luck with this as of yet? I too am having the same issue with the same mode of laptop. Let me know please. Thank you.

G

Hello, have the same problem, did you ever come up with a fix yet? Any pictures of what this looks like, as I have sold the laptop to my sister and she is having this problem, thanks.

Outdated

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hello,

I had the same problem with a presario r3304EA (I could restaure the image by tapping the button)
So I did a small test by soldering two legs of the switch and the image could not come back by tapping the switch
So I simply removed the switch and now it's working

fatwoul

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I had the same problem with an old Presario R3000, so I took it to a shop and had them remove the switch.

All was well, until the screen LED went off! Now I have no switch to tap to reactivate the screen! I'm typing this on the same computer, with my fingers crossed it doesn't go black any second!