Can onboard audio do True 5.1?

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Alright, you might remember from another thread where I was asking for advice on what to purchase, I decided to purchase the Logitech X-530 speaker set and was planning to get the Audigy SE till I did some more digging and decided to get the X-Fi XtremeGamer instead, however the thing is I don't have enough money YET (need a paycheck) to get it. In the mean time I decided to get this setup working with my onboard audio (Sigmatel High Definition Audio Codec on the Intel D946GZIS mobo), at first I couldn't get sound from rear speakers no matter what I did, I updated my drivers and that was fixed, however my new problem is more sensitive, I'm not getting 5.1 Surround audio.

I performed 2 tests (FEAR Perseus Mandate and Unreal Tournament 3), on unreal tournament 3 I created a 2-man server with my brother's PC and had him fire at me from different angles, needless to say that all speakers produced the same amount of sound. Now I thought, maybe the UT3 demo doesn't have those sound options built in yet, so I went to try on FEAR Perseus Mandate where I conducted my second test, I grabbed a remote grenade and threw it to the wall behind me, then I proceeded to blow them up, yet again I find myself getting the same amount of sound from all speakers. Please enlighten me, is there a way I can get true 5.1 on this onboard audio, or do I need the X-Fi? I don't mind if I need the X-Fi (Since I'm going to get it either ways), I'd just like to get it this working if possible for a month or so.

Oh SoS

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Are you using SPIDF to the speakers? Or the 3 analog cables?

If you're using SPIDF, the only way to get 5.1 out with a Creative card is to play a DVD that is encoded in 5.1.

Some cards have a Dolby Digital Live feature, which converts all audio to Dolby 5.1 (or DTS Interactive, which puts out DTS 5.1).

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I have yet to get the creative card, hence the "Onboard audio" part of my question. And I'm currently using the 3 analog cables.

Latest posts