SC4 Rush Hour won't install: simcity_2.dat corrupted

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

I've just upgraded my system and cannot install SC4 Rush Hour. It was
fully functional on my last PC and runs fine on my laptop. The
installation process begins normally and registraton goes through, but
as soon as 10% of the installation is completed, the PC hangs on the
file "simcity_2.dat" and I'm then prompted with the following error
message:

"Unable to locate required file or required file is corrupted."

I've inactivated my antivirus software, closed all open programs, and
even copied all the files on the disc to a blank folder and installed
from there. Thinking my disc had gone bad, I even purchased a new one,
but I have the same problem.

My PC:
BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC 256MB AGP Graphics Card (NVIDIA's latest
drivers Version: 61.77)
Windows XP updated current including SP2
DirectX 9.0c
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe with a RAID_1 (mirrored 160GB Hard drive),
Promise FastTrak drivers
3.4GHz Intel HT CPU
Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS Platinum Pro Sound Card

Any thoughts?
Mark

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

The CD might be scratched or burned ... check for that .... also check if
you can manully copy the file from the CD to the desktop .. (just to make
sure the file is not corrupted) if this worked then it's something in your
pc ... if it didn't work then contact Maxis and see if they provide a
replacement for the CD (might ask for a small fee) ....

Hope that helps

Sims Lover

"macleme" <macleme@whin.net> wrote in message
> I've just upgraded my system and cannot install SC4 Rush Hour. It was
> fully functional on my last PC and runs fine on my laptop. The
> installation process begins normally and registraton goes through, but
> as soon as 10% of the installation is completed, the PC hangs on the
> file "simcity_2.dat" and I'm then prompted with the following error
> message:
>
> "Unable to locate required file or required file is corrupted."
>
> I've inactivated my antivirus software, closed all open programs, and
> even copied all the files on the disc to a blank folder and installed
> from there. Thinking my disc had gone bad, I even purchased a new one,
> but I have the same problem.
>
> My PC:
> BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC 256MB AGP Graphics Card (NVIDIA's latest
> drivers Version: 61.77)
> Windows XP updated current including SP2
> DirectX 9.0c
> ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe with a RAID_1 (mirrored 160GB Hard drive),
> Promise FastTrak drivers
> 3.4GHz Intel HT CPU
> Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS Platinum Pro Sound Card
>
> Any thoughts?
> Mark

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

"macleme" <macleme@whin.net> wrote in message
> I've just upgraded my system and cannot install SC4 Rush Hour. It was
> fully functional on my last PC and runs fine on my laptop. The
> installation process begins normally and registraton goes through, but
> as soon as 10% of the installation is completed, the PC hangs on the
> file "simcity_2.dat" and I'm then prompted with the following error
> message:
>
> "Unable to locate required file or required file is corrupted."
>
> I've inactivated my antivirus software, closed all open programs, and
> even copied all the files on the disc to a blank folder and installed
> from there. Thinking my disc had gone bad, I even purchased a new one,
> but I have the same problem.
>
> My PC:
> BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC 256MB AGP Graphics Card (NVIDIA's latest
> drivers Version: 61.77)
> Windows XP updated current including SP2
> DirectX 9.0c
> ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe with a RAID_1 (mirrored 160GB Hard drive),
> Promise FastTrak drivers
> 3.4GHz Intel HT CPU
> Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS Platinum Pro Sound Card
>
> Any thoughts?
> Mark

sounds strange -- have you tried to reinstall on a machine that you know it
works on ? maybe the cd reader is stuffed ?

Boc

AJ

"Ozboc" <Boc@your_undies_smell.com> wrote in message

> "macleme" <macleme@whin.net> wrote in message
> > I've just upgraded my system and cannot install SC4 Rush Hour. It was
> > fully functional on my last PC and runs fine on my laptop. The
> > installation process begins normally and registraton goes through, but
> > as soon as 10% of the installation is completed, the PC hangs on the
> > file "simcity_2.dat" and I'm then prompted with the following error
> > message:
> >
> > "Unable to locate required file or required file is corrupted."
> >
> > I've inactivated my antivirus software, closed all open programs, and
> > even copied all the files on the disc to a blank folder and installed
> > from there. Thinking my disc had gone bad, I even purchased a new one,
> > but I have the same problem.
> >
> > My PC:
> > BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC 256MB AGP Graphics Card (NVIDIA's latest
> > drivers Version: 61.77)
> > Windows XP updated current including SP2
> > DirectX 9.0c
> > ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe with a RAID_1 (mirrored 160GB Hard drive),
> > Promise FastTrak drivers
> > 3.4GHz Intel HT CPU
> > Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS Platinum Pro Sound Card
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> > Mark
>
> sounds strange -- have you tried to reinstall on a machine that you know
it
> works on ? maybe the cd reader is stuffed ?
>
> Boc

I would suggest trying to update your CD Rom Drivers.

PS. Are you the same person who had this problem a couple months back?

"AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<LA17d.650892$Gx4.647222@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> "Ozboc" <Boc@your_undies_smell.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "macleme" <macleme@whin.net> wrote in message
> > > I've just upgraded my system and cannot install SC4 Rush Hour. It was
> > > fully functional on my last PC and runs fine on my laptop. The
> > > installation process begins normally and registraton goes through, but
> > > as soon as 10% of the installation is completed, the PC hangs on the
> > > file "simcity_2.dat" and I'm then prompted with the following error
> > > message:
> > >
> > > "Unable to locate required file or required file is corrupted."
> > >
> > > I've inactivated my antivirus software, closed all open programs, and
> > > even copied all the files on the disc to a blank folder and installed
> > > from there. Thinking my disc had gone bad, I even purchased a new one,
> > > but I have the same problem.
> > >
> > > My PC:
> > > BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC 256MB AGP Graphics Card (NVIDIA's latest
> > > drivers Version: 61.77)
> > > Windows XP updated current including SP2
> > > DirectX 9.0c
> > > ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe with a RAID_1 (mirrored 160GB Hard drive),
> > > Promise FastTrak drivers
> > > 3.4GHz Intel HT CPU
> > > Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS Platinum Pro Sound Card
> > >
> > > Any thoughts?
> > > Mark
> >
> > sounds strange -- have you tried to reinstall on a machine that you know
> it
> > works on ? maybe the cd reader is stuffed ?
> >
> > Boc
>
> I would suggest trying to update your CD Rom Drivers.
>
> PS. Are you the same person who had this problem a couple months back?

No, I just experienced the problem for the first time a few days ago
so I didn't post anything before, but I did finally manage to get the
game installed.

My workaround involved booting into safe mode and logging on as
"Administrator". The game installed normally without any hangups or
error messages, and after I rebooted normally, I was able to
successfully apply the updated patch and play the sim from my normal
startup mode. I guess it must have been one of my drivers that was the
problem.

Thanks to all that responded,
Mark