Seagate barracuda 7200.10 failure(doesn't spin)

mkonig

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I bought new configuration and plug in my old HDD(seagate barracuda 250Gb). It all worked well when I installed windows on my new drive. But when I formatted the new disc again and install windows for the second time(because problems with drivers) the old drive didn't respond. It didn't even started to spin. I connected it on my old computer and there was the same problem. The disc wont spin. i have on it many important data from faculty and would like to save it somehow. What can I do? Thank You for Your help, Martin.

royalcrown

Distinguished
You need to send it to a company that recovers the data for you such as http://www.drivesavers.com/

If it doesn't even spin, I wouldn't chance it, you could try replacing the circuit board on the bottom yourself with one that is of the same model. The boards have to be the same hardware revision however and there is no guarantee that that is the problem, or that you could do it successfully.

Much better to send it off to someone that does this sort of thing routinely in this case.

mkonig

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I tried to say that OLD hdd worked on a new computer(before formatting the NEW hdd),and after the installation of the windows on NEW hdd OLD one wasn't workin. Royalcrown thank You for Your answer. I thought it was about the electronic(circuit board) so I only need to find the same Hdd ;). I know there are company's which recovers the information but they are very expensive. Regards,Martin

royalcrown

Distinguished
Martin, even the same board can have different revisions, so it usually is safest to send it in. I doubt that would hurt you to try it except in the pocket book from buying another drive. You could very well get one with the same exact board and recover it on the cheap, but I was just mentioning it due to murphy's law.

royalcrown

Distinguished
It doesn't actually HAVE to be the same revision in every case, but many times yes, due to the controller firmware and such. If the revision is minor you might be able, but no guarantee. I should have given a longer more correct answer.