Sign in with
Your question

AMD why so many NDA's?

Last response: in CPUs
November 13, 2007 3:20:56 AM

Seriously, The phenom is due in a week as well as the new ATI cards. Why the NDA's? This has to be the most frustrating research period for a new Gaming PC build I have ever had to go though! :( 

More about : amd nda

November 13, 2007 3:44:48 AM

Did you just open two identical threads with different subject lines? Because that is also really frustrating.

Try deleting one thread.

Obviously you need some help Posting And You...

One more thought, you might get a better response if you posted this in the "other" forum.
November 13, 2007 3:59:28 AM

Quote:

Blonde Guy said:
Seriously, The phenom is due in a week as well as the new ATI cards. Why the NDA's? This has to be the most frustrating research period for a new Gaming PC build I have ever had to go though! :( 
said:

Your an idiot.

Once again, your an idiot.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 13, 2007 4:22:43 AM

we all float down here....
November 13, 2007 4:27:41 AM

wirelessfender said:

Well if you think about it, AMD/ ATI so far don't have anything performance-wise to brag about. The highest AMD offering this coming week, Phenom 2.4Ghz will probably perform around Q6600, while Q6600 is the lowest end quad core from Intel. Phenom FX 2.6Ghz won't debut until end of the year, while performing around age old Q6700.

On ATI's side, so far the consensus between early testers suggest 10% slower than 8800GT. Leadtek even put "10%~35% faster than RV670 (HD38x0)" on their 8800GT box.

While I'm not saying AMD/ATI have no competitive products, but the main competitiveness comes from their pricing. As a result, if you don't have the performance lead, its harder for you to "woo" the crowd with early benchmarks and pictures.
November 13, 2007 5:15:27 AM

albundy2 said:
we all float down here....
Don't you think his little rant would be well received in the "other". Everyone down there is so much more tolerant, don't you agree?

a b à CPUs
November 13, 2007 6:39:35 AM

Well AMD is pretty upset that specs on their RV670 leaked out early enough for NVIDIA to change the clocks on the release of the 8800GT and so "crash their party".

The upside of this for AMD is NVIDIA undermined their own pricing stucture for their top cards (why would you pay 3 times the price for a few % better performance on a GTX) and they are also suffering massive RMA's because the 8800GT's are clocked very close to the thermal maximum (they cranked them past the point of sanity).

The Inq published the story yesterday.

I'd sat AMD will continue their NDA policy when the opposition has such strong products.

November 13, 2007 7:05:12 AM

If you actually Think about it Intel is Now releasing 45nm CPU's and AMD is just getting their 65nm CPU's out the door Intel already has plans for next year to get the manufacturing process down to 35nm while AMD struggles to make it to even the 45nm process intel is just better at the game than AMD and AMD buying ati was a huge mistake on their part they should have just kept to what the know CPU's not GPU's
November 13, 2007 1:24:58 PM

Intel is obviously doing better at the 'game' right now, but isn't that how the market should work? AMD was on top for years until Core 2. It's a healthy cycle, and great for us consumers :) 
November 13, 2007 1:42:37 PM

Zorg said:
Don't you think his little rant would be well received in the "other". Everyone down there is so much more tolerant, don't you agree?

absolutely..... especially robd and wingy... seriously though the gates of hell will swing open if another noob goes down there.
November 13, 2007 2:20:19 PM

Intel hopes to come out with 35nm next yr. but will they overcome the pitfalls of 35nm. also will 450mm help any 1. or will it just waste resourses?
November 13, 2007 2:31:07 PM

skittle said:
Your an idiot.

Once again, your an idiot.[/quotemsg]

You're both idiots...what are you, in grade 3? I learned you're at about that time...

That was your spelling mistake.
This time you're not going to repeat it.
November 13, 2007 2:32:11 PM

skittle said:
Your an idiot.

Once again, your an idiot.[/quotemsg]
you're* :whistle: 
November 13, 2007 2:39:58 PM

albundy2 said:
absolutely..... especially robd and wingy... seriously though the gates of hell will swing open if another noob goes down there.
:lol:  [:zorg]
November 13, 2007 2:44:32 PM

Heyyou27 said:
Once again, your an idiot.

you're* :whistle: [/quotemsg]

I've become so used to bad spelling and bad grammer in this forum that I mostly ignore it. Some people have the excuse that they are from countries where English isn't their first language, but most are just from sloppiness. :non:  I shouldn't say too much, as I do make the occasional spelling mistake. I blame mine on arthritus messing up my fingers.

But as to the NDA question, my opinion is that AMD/ATI doesn't have anything to brag about, so they have choosen to keep quiet any news of their failures. Its only an opinion, and it doesn't really matter. Next week we will find out how the new products perform, or we will hear about how the new products have been delyed yet again.
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2007 4:13:32 PM

sailer said:
But as to the NDA question, my opinion is that AMD/ATI doesn't have anything to brag about, so they have choosen to keep quiet any news of their failures. Its only an opinion, and it doesn't really matter. Next week we will find out how the new products perform, or we will hear about how the new products have been delyed yet again.

Yeah, I guess there's only so much "we have the only true native quad core" they can spout. Then it gets close to launch time and they have to put their money where their mouths are and........ oops we can't launch with the clockspeeds to be competitive or that we promised..... oooh and by the way native quad core doesn't apparently make a lot of difference performance wise. You had to know that when things got delayed and then news became scarce closer to launch time that there were problems or they had a reality check. Being behind about 1 1/2 processes doesn't help the matter either. It's funny during the Netburst days that AMD invented the performance/watt stat, when they held both the performance and power use crown. Now they hold neither, so now we are told to focus on the entire platform's power usage not just the CPU. Now AMD's only perceived "advantages" are the IMC and HT, which depending what Intel does with the desktop Nehelam's will be gone next fall.

So what it really comes down to is that if AMD had a C2Q killer they would be shouting it from the roof tops like Intel did with C2D. So this launch is really going to be a non-event and go quietly unnoticed by all but the diehard AMD fans.

Nearly the same thing can be said for ATI as well. You can't deliver products that are six months late, underperform with greater power usage and expect people to be happy. I think you'll find that ATI has to price their 38X0's very low to sell many of them as it looks like the 8800GT's are much better.
November 13, 2007 4:27:21 PM

techgeek said:
1: Yeah, I guess there's only so much "we have the only true native quad core"

At some Intel developers conference last summer, the intel chaps were wearing AMD t-shirts that said "Native Quadcore" with the "t" crossed out, lol!
Maybe someone remembers where to find the pic of that.
!