Sign in with
Your question

[Tips Welcome] Q6600 on X38 mobo

Last response: in Overclocking
February 27, 2008 5:33:50 PM

I've been a long time Tom's Hardware reader, but I'm a first time poster.

Recently I built a new rig with higher quality parts than my norm so I could dabble with overclocking. Last night was the first free evening I had since the initial build so I decided to pull the side panel off and do some overclocking experiments.

I was able run the Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz with 1.30v under load. FSB 400mhz with 1:1 ratio on the ram. I wasn't very successfull at getting anything extra out of the ram. The ram is adata DDR2 800Mhz 5-5-5-15.

With Everest I got the following data.
CPU temps 33-37c at idle and 50-54c under full load.
Mobo temp was 53c idle and 59c under load.
(all temps with side panel removed)

I'm sure the CPU temps will go up once I install the side panel, but I noticed heatsink is installed backwards (yes I was drinking when I put it together). I also have two more 120mm fans going into the front of the case this weekend so I'm not to worried about gaining much heat from closing the case.

I do have a few noob questions.

Is it normal for the temps on X38 boards to be so much higher than the CPU temp?

Should I be worried about the Mobo temp?

Any tips for getting more out of my RAM?

Is it worth replacing my ram to shoot for higher overclocks for this chip?

Is it strange that my system seemed stable at 2.4, then 3.0 and not again till 3.6?

Or was this just me getting unluck/lucky with my failed attempts between 3.0 and 3.6?

Since I have to take off the heatsink (see above stupidity) should I lapp it and the chip?

Thanks for taking your time to read my post and helping me out with any advice you've got.

More about : tips q6600 x38 mobo

February 27, 2008 6:28:59 PM

You don't want to push your ram if you're already at a 1:1 with the FSB. The Northbridge on my X38 runs at 50C during load, they do run quite a bit hotter than the P35 chipsets.

There are definitely sweet spots for overclocks... when yours was unstable at 3ghz, the voltage might not have been perfect, but you seemed to find the right voltage for 3.6GHz.

You shouldn't need to lap your heatsink and cpu.. what type of heatsink is it? You should have the fan blowing the heat out the back or top of your computer (if u have a fan on the top).

If your system is stable, then dont change anything else, 3.6 is more than most expect out of their Q6600. But you should definitely get your fans blowing in the right directions.
February 27, 2008 8:07:01 PM

My heatsink is a zerotherm BTF90 since I didn't know if some of the larger options would fit, but I'm not sure venting up with it an option. I do have an a top fan though maybe I'll look into it mounting it facing up.

I was actually stable at factory, 3ghz and 3.6ghz but couldn't get it to stick anywhere else.

Any ideas at the speed gains I'd get from ram that would run at 400hmz FSB at a ratio of say 1:1.4 (1120mhz) compared to the 800mhz I'm currently at?

Perhaps I'll just crank up the voltage on the ram tonight to 2.3v and see if I can get them to post at 1120mhz for kicks.
!